Longest Contract?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Stu_Blade

Reaction score
Obviously international window time, which always gets you thinking but does anyone know who has had the Longest ever contract deal for us and not including renewals just one contract. We have seemed to have had a lot of 3 year deals (Wes, Norwood, Brewster etc) Jack O'Connell defiantly signed a 4 1/2 year contract in 2017, (Baldock & Fleck on 4) so possibly holds the current record of first teamers?

Historically I am struggling to think of long term one contract deals, if you look at Barca they signed Messi to a 9 year deal! and there are others in Spain on 8 years (along with Pardew as Manager at Newcastle to 8 - The best one yet) and one 10 year deal for Denilson!

Although a big risk tying down big contracts as we have seen unfortunately with JOC, why was Ndiaye contract only a 3 year one when extended last year, this easily could have been 4 or 5 with bonuses due to his age, do we think it is a risk and reward factor that comes into play. 2/3 years is fairly safe if it goes south or is it because that's what other clubs/agents in England do and we don't look to set a Spanish example?

Most players won't want to lock themselves in for more than 3 years while young, so it's difficult to 'sell' a longer contract to them as security isn't high on their list of priorities at that stage of their career.

Most of the long contracts in Spain are for players who are pretty much at the top of the game so security comes into a bit more, as the only way their career can go is down! Spanish clubs favour long deals as it protects their asset...bear in mind that buyout clauses are the norm in La Liga. They're not mandatory but Spanish employment law enables them to buy themselves out of their contract at any time.

I can't find exact details of the contract we gave Ian Porterfield but memory tells me it was a 10-year deal. I do know we sacked him in 1986 with 5 years still to run, just not sure when he signed it.

Obviously international window time, which always gets you thinking but does anyone know who has had the Longest ever contract deal for us and not including renewals just one contract. We have seemed to have had a lot of 3 year deals (Wes, Norwood, Brewster etc) Jack O'Connell defiantly signed a 4 1/2 year contract in 2017, (Baldock & Fleck on 4) so possibly holds the current record of first teamers?

Historically I am struggling to think of long term one contract deals, if you look at Barca they signed Messi to a 9 year deal! and there are others in Spain on 8 years (along with Pardew as Manager at Newcastle to 8 - The best one yet) and one 10 year deal for Denilson!

Although a big risk tying down big contracts as we have seen unfortunately with JOC, why was Ndiaye contract only a 3 year one when extended last year, this easily could have been 4 or 5 with bonuses due to his age, do we think it is a risk and reward factor that comes into play. 2/3 years is fairly safe if it goes south or is it because that's what other clubs/agents in England do and we don't look to set a Spanish example?
Brewster signed for 5 years

Does anyone have an updated list of which players at the moment are out of contract at the end of this season

Most players won't want to lock themselves in for more than 3 years while young, so it's difficult to 'sell' a longer contract to them as security isn't high on their list of priorities at that stage of their career.

Most of the long contracts in Spain are for players who are pretty much at the top of the game so security comes into a bit more, as the only way their career can go is down! Spanish clubs favour long deals as it protects their asset...bear in mind that buyout clauses are the norm in La Liga. They're not mandatory but Spanish employment law enables them to buy themselves out of their contract at any time.

I can't find exact details of the contract we gave Ian Porterfield but memory tells me it was a 10-year deal. I do know we sacked him in 1986 with 5 years still to run, just not sure when he signed it.
Before my time unfortunately but 10 years is some going!

Does anyone have an updated list of which players at the moment are out of contract at the end of this season

Going into a few weeks ago the list looked like below not including loans
Wes Foderingham, Ky Gordon, Jack O'Connell, Jack Robinson, Femi Seriki, Enda Stevens, John Fleck, Oliver Norwood, Ben Osborn, Oli McBurnie, Billy Sharp and Jordan Amissah.

I would hope we would look at extending a few in the coming months however unless a big turn around out on loan you would expect that list to half by the end of the season.

Reg Brearley called Ian Porterfields 10 year contract, the biggest mistake he had ever made.

It cost him all of sevenpence ha'penny to terminate it

Going into a few weeks ago the list looked like below not including loans
Wes Foderingham, Ky Gordon, Jack O'Connell, Jack Robinson, Femi Seriki, Enda Stevens, John Fleck, Oliver Norwood, Ben Osborn, Oli McBurnie, Billy Sharp and Jordan Amissah.

I would hope we would look at extending a few in the coming months however unless a big turn around out on loan you would expect that list to half by the end of the season.
If we don’t go up this season, we will lose another 20 million in sky relegation payments, only ones I would then offer new contracts to would be Norwood, Wes and McB

Hecky contract has a year option in the clubs favour until 2027 signed in 2021.

I've seen comments that it was crazy to offer Hecky a 6 year contract when most other managers are only offered 3 years.
My view is that it was a unique situation why Hecky was offered an unusually long 6 year contract.

Hecky's situation was
He lives local and had a relatively cushy number as under 23's manager at Sheff United.
There's not the same turnover of managers at this level, so it could have meant 5 to 10 years job security at the club with a decent income.

No doubt his wife would have been saying why give up that relative financial security when being manager of Sheff Utd might have only last 1 year,
then he's with no income (apart from compensation) and struggling to find a job.
Also Hecky could have thought he was just appointed as a stop gap option until the Prince brings in his own man.

So instead of being given the normal 3 years contract compensation.....
if we do terminate Hecky's contract...he'll now receive a maximum massive 6 year salary pay-off instead.

Although a big risk tying down big contracts as we have seen unfortunately with JOC, why was Ndiaye contract only a 3 year one when extended last year, this easily could have been 4 or 5 with bonuses due to his age, do we think it is a risk and reward factor that comes into play.

Maybe Ndiaye only wanted a three year contract?

Back
Top Bottom