Loan signings from the big clubs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
Hopefully Ben Woodburn will be a success, but at best our record with loan signings from the big clubs is mixed. Blackman and Coady are the two definite successes and both furthered their development with us.
As for Twiss, Notman, Newby and Cofie, James Wilson they proved to be a big disappointment. There must be others that I have forgotten.

If it works out well with Woodburn, and I think it probably will, then we'll be in a great position with Liverpool and can add them to Chelsea and Man Utd as a club we have a favourable relationship with.

Consistently being in a position to pick up the best loans could be the key to us getting promoted from this division.

Hopefully Ben Woodburn will be a success, but at best our record with loan signings from the big clubs is mixed. Blackman and Coady are the two definite successes and both furthered their development with us.
As for Twiss, Notman, Newby and Cofie, James Wilson they proved to be a big disappointment. There must be others that I have forgotten.

Woodburn is already rated a level or two above all those names with the possible exception of Coady who is now playing a very different role than when he was here.

I forgot about Joe Riley, who was unlucky with injuries, and Carter Vickers who had a decent start with us, but became error prone.

EEL was great for over half a season. Scored some important goals too.

Gary Cahill on loan from Villa was a success. Always classy when he played for us and then went on to bigger and better things (alright, it was Bolton before Chelsea but they were in the Premier at the time)

Our style of play primarily, added to recent success and playing of front of good crowds, is a huge factor.

Wilder himself obviously plays a huge role, but imho there's no getting away from how we pass the ball and approach the game is key to getting some of the players we have on loan recently.

Wilson always felt like we got shafted, no doubt he's decent but he was just coming back from a ACL injury so we were basically rehab. He was never going to be what we needed.

If it works out well with Woodburn, and I think it probably will, then we'll be in a great position with Liverpool and can add them to Chelsea and Man Utd as a club we have a favourable relationship with
You can probably add Spurs to that following the CCV loan.

It's another reason I am happy with this signing, when you get a high profile ex player like lampard they have the contacts at the big clubs, Wilder isn't considered a big manager (yet) so it speaks volumes for our club to aquire Woodburn if it works well hopefully more will follow, our club has come on leaps and bounds since Wilder arrived

I think this is the only teenager I can remember who comes with first team experience at such a big club.

Maybe Carter Vicker was nearly 20 but Woodburn has just turned 18.

A strange statistical anomaly about ex loanee Jon Newby that makes weird reading (thanks Wikipedia!) Screenshot_20180801-210130.png

Add Lee Martin and Harry Bunn to that list

I don’t think it’s there’s any real relevance that we’ve had some real dross from big clubs to the signings of Henderson and Woodburn.

The fact is both these lads are expected by people in the game and the fans that have seen them to not just make the grade but to have the attitudes to become exceptional players. Of course they’re young and it’s definitely not a gimme that they’ll ply their trade at a top club, but for some of the other ‘starletts’ that we loaned, there seemed to be a caveat relating to their fitness, current mindset or them just getting back on track....except for Micheal Twiss of course who was perfect in every way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom