Lads Lads Lads. The accounts explained.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not sure if serious but...

• £38m to buy the stadium, less than expected
  • expect a loss in 20/21 with wages up significantly and revenue down £20-£30m (from £143m in 19/20)
  • relegation reduces TV money from £117m to £42m
  • existing players got significant wage rises (Sharp, Norwood, McGoldrick, Baldock, Basham)
  • new signings had more paid up front than we would probably have wanted: £49m of £71m plus £11m in contingent liabilities, most of which would probably have been due when we stayed up (McBurnie, Mousset called out but I would imagine you can add Freeman and Robinson to the list)
  • we spent £7m on agents
  • borrowing is standard practice (in our case, as with many others, from MacQuarie Bank) to cover working capital requirements between TV payments
  • HRH put £21m in (goes against the standard narrative)
  • we donated £3.4m to charities - more should be made of this!
Was being serious 👍

The stattos say that wages have the highest bearing on where you finish in the league pyramid and transfer fees have a much smaller bearing.

Therefore if anyone at the club had any sense they’d have signed players on higher wages to try and guarantee league position. Last year we overachieved with the lowest wage bill. As we’ve probably got the lowest wage bill this season we’ve finished where statistically we should have.
The general principle is that the biggest link is between wages and league position but it doesn’t guarantee it. We saw that in L1. We’ve seen it at the Sty.

Whilst it may have given us a better chance of staying up, the consequences of going down would have been far more severe. We’d be stuck with players on high wages that we probably couldn’t shift and would be looking to sell anyone of value that we could to balance the books. Basically, the rewards could have been higher but the risk of damage if it went wrong would be much greater.

Not sure if serious but...

• £38m to buy the stadium, less than expected
  • expect a loss in 20/21 with wages up significantly and revenue down £20-£30m (from £143m in 19/20)
  • relegation reduces TV money from £117m to £42m
  • existing players got significant wage rises (Sharp, Norwood, McGoldrick, Baldock, Basham)
  • new signings had more paid up front than we would probably have wanted: £49m of £71m plus £11m in contingent liabilities, most of which would probably have been due when we stayed up (McBurnie, Mousset called out but I would imagine you can add Freeman and Robinson to the list)
  • we spent £7m on agents
  • borrowing is standard practice (in our case, as with many others, from MacQuarie Bank) to cover working capital requirements between TV payments
  • HRH put £21m in (goes against the standard narrative)
  • we donated £3.4m to charities - more should be made of this!
Just been and watched the full thing. It's definitely worthwhile and I'd recommend it to anyone else. You get a really good sense of what the accounts mean for the near future of the club

Bloody hell, the bloke goes up at the end of every sentence, and every half sentence, and every sub-clause! He sounds like a thick TOWIE wannabe. I didn't realise people from Sheffield are starting to talk like that. :eek:

Can't wait for all the forum accountants to pull this to bits and claim it's all a load of bollocks even though they have literally no clue whatsoever about finance or accountancy because Bob off Twitter disputes "where moneh's gone".

“HRH put £21m in”

“He’s only paid a pound”

“it’s in the accounts”

“You can make the accounts say owt. I know l ran my own business for years”

Is usually how it goes.

I hoped this was the return of our Darren but the lack of sex swing and gimp masks hanging up in the background, and that he didn't mention when we beat Bury 2-1 in 1988 and who scored for both teams means it wasn't.
Try that bloke from DC.... Just sayin... ;)

Very good video, maybe the point about paying more upfront for players is what the Prince was alluding to when he said that he had to get McBurnie out of his own pocket.

The bit at the end is a very nice touch by the club and it's disappointing nothing has been made of it, but then you'd probably get a knuckle dragger on twitter saying it should have been spent on players.

Very good video, maybe the point about paying more upfront for players is what the Prince was alluding to when he said that he had to get McBurnie out of his own pocket.

The bit at the end is a very nice touch by the club and it's disappointing nothing has been made of it, but then you'd probably get a knuckle dragger on twitter saying it should have been spent on players.

I think he meant from a defensive point of view. He'd have McBurnie in his back pocket

The general principle is that the biggest link is between wages and league position but it doesn’t guarantee it. We saw that in L1. We’ve seen it at the Sty.

Whilst it may have given us a better chance of staying up, the consequences of going down would have been far more severe. We’d be stuck with players on high wages that we probably couldn’t shift and would be looking to sell anyone of value that we could to balance the books. Basically, the rewards could have been higher but the risk of damage if it went wrong would be much greater.
Apparently the statistical link between league position and higher wages is over 90% in PL terms.

Your point above about being stuck with players is very valid, top players don’t sign relegation wage drop clauses as they can go elsewhere without having to so in likelihood if we failed we’d be stuck with a team full of Sunderland Rodwell’s on mega bucks. At least we’ve only got the one Rodwell as it stands.

I know it’s not guaranteed but basically Wednesday are that wank that only 1/10 seasons does someone fuck up like they have (excuse the slight licence exercised on PL stats v Championship here 😉).

Back
Top Bottom