'Judge em after 10 games'

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think it's getting to the point now where a lot of people need to lose the rose tinted specs around some of the senior players at this club. Too many are living on past glories and are getting the benefit of the doubt because of what they've done previously.

If Fleck, Norwood, Stevens and to a lesser extent Didzy and Baldock were new signings they'd be some serious questions being asked about recruitment (more than there already is on some).

As great as those players have been in the past we need to be ruthless and cut them loose and rebuild. Most should've been replaced after the first Premier league season when we were in a position of strength both financially and as an attractive club to new players.
Exactly this. Players who were good and contributed 3 years ago are just not doing it now. Looking at it objectively, they need to be replaced. No pace, no power, no presence, particularly in midfield. It'll take time and another couple of windows probably but we don't move forward carrying these players.

The small chance they could come alive is still better than the reality of setting fire to £40m.

the fire has gone out on one and will go on a free transfer at the end of contract (IMHO) - the other has a chance to get the embers going again.

UTB

In all honestly under Slav I think we'll be better next season when his ideas and philosophy are better understood. However, do we have the finances to go again next season? Can we improve the squad next season? I'm not so sure. Prince has got a mortgage on his house ffs

Berge and Guedioura in centre mid and possibly Hourihane in and around it too with Ndiaye and MGW. It will make the spine of the team stronger.

Bit of a shame for the others but we have to stiffen up midfield this season.

We have options this season - they need to be tried.

Do accept, the Slav philosophy may need a bit of time though.

UTB

Olsen - OK he's not had 10 games, but we've seen enough to say he's adequate. KEEP.

Foderingham - Not disgraced nor shone. Probably cheap cover. KEEP.

Verrips - no words needed. GET RID.

RND - Sorry, I'm not encouraged he's going to be anything above a squad player. Hope I'm wrong. That said, he's still got the benefit of time on his side. KEEP.

Enda - Again he's just coming back, but I can't see how his better days are ahead of him. Looked shot going forward tonight. GET RID.

Robinson - Dreadful. GET RID.

Osborn. Started poorly but shown enough since the international break to demonstrate he can be a handy player in this squad. KEEP.

Lowe - If 3 managers felt Robinson & Enda were ahead of him, only means one thing. GET RID.

Baldock - He's had better form at United and his crossing is dreadful but he's a good RWB overall. KEEP.

Bogle - Not had much chance to shine but we know his capability, I think if we decide to go 4-3-3 he'd be a decent shout for right side of attack. KEEP.

Basham - I might be blinded by Basham infatuation (inbashuation) but his leadership by example and bravery still has value. KEEP.

Egan - Excellent, championship CB. KEEP.

Davies - Think he is a classy CB but he is weak and casual. It worries me that we've put all our eggs in one basket with this signing. If we could cancel his loan and instead sign an experienced, athletic, ugly, physical CB then I would GET RID.

Norwood - I don't think he's as spent as people make out, but we do need to find the right foil for him and that raises the question, is he still good enough to build a side around? I'm 50/50 but for the squad I would KEEP.

Fleck - As much as I like Fleck, he's nowhere near the player or athlete that has been outstanding for us between 2016 to March 2020. I always expect he'll leave us for Rangers some day but until then I would KEEP.

Guedioura - Decent cameo vs. Hull and gives us a bit of bite & bravery that we lack in the middle. KEEP.

Hourihane - We haven't seen much and he's already got 2 assists. For the sake of quality within the squad I would KEEP.

Berge - He's going to be an excellent footballer somewhere, but definitely not at Sheff Utd and probably not in England. GET RID.

Freeman - A player I have always wanted to see at United so wanted him to do well, but I think it's fair to say after a bad injury last year and a new high-tempo style he simply isn't right for us anymore (If he ever really was). GET RID.

Ndiaye - An exciting footballer who I look forward to seeing play. KEEP.

Gibbs-White - As above with Ndiaye, any chance of success we have hinges on his creativity. KEEP.

Burke - Slav gave him a fair crack at a fresh start, but he still gets to the byline and loses the ball. GET RID.

Brewster - I don't think he's been offensively poor this season and shown some glimpses, but I get the impression we'll forever be stuck on someday aisle with him. GET RID.

McBurnie - Another player I've always wanted at United and thought he'd be a threat in the Championship. Unfortunately, he seem thick as whale spunk. GET RID.

Mousset - Doesn't have the dedication to be a professional footballer. GET RID.

McGoldrick - As with Bash, I think there's still a good enough reason to keep him around, could be good for Ndiaye & MGW. KEEP.

Sharp - We shouldn't need to depend on him as much as we currently do, but here we are. KEEP.
Not necessarily disagreeing with some of this but who are we replacing them all with and when?

Not necessarily disagreeing with some of this but who are we replacing them all with and when?

Players who fit the profile of whatever system we're trying to go with.

If it's pass from the back let's get technically gifted players without forsaking the basics of defending.

If it's high press let's have Midfielders who are box-to-box, athletic but don't shrink under pressure.

Also, let's have Strikers who can score goals.

Players who fit the profile of whatever system we're trying to go with.

If it's pass from the back let's get technically gifted players without forsaking the basics of defending.

If it's high press let's have Midfielders who are box-to-box, athletic but don't shrink under pressure.

Also, let's have Strikers who can score goals.
Get that but you’re cutting about half the team. When do you suggest we do this? In one go or over a number of windows? Where are we getting the money from because if we’re upgrading then that will be extra money which I’m not sure we have.
As I said I’m not necessarily disagreeing with much of what you said but I do question the practicalities of such a culling of the squad in a short period of time

If it were possible to get rid of them Bert would point the following to the door marked exit.

Baldock
McGoldrick
Stevens
Mousset
Fleck
Norwood
Sharp... gasp!

However, most of them we are stuck with and there lies the problem.

If it were possible to get rid of them Bert would point the following to the door marked exit.

Baldock
McGoldrick
Stevens
Mousset
Fleck
Norwood
Sharp... gasp!

However, most of them we are stuck with and there lies the problem.
Bert, you forgot to add Burke to your list.

Get that but you’re cutting about half the team. When do you suggest we do this? In one go or over a number of windows? Where are we getting the money from because if we’re upgrading then that will be extra money which I’m not sure we have.
As I said I’m not necessarily disagreeing with much of what you said but I do question the practicalities of such a culling of the squad in a short period of time

I understand YBB.

Difficult to say because unfortunately the probable demand for these players means the chances of moving them on before their contracts expire is very slim.

Throw in the ballache of transfer windows and our frugality, you're looking at a very long timeframe to refresh the squad (beyond parachute payments?). This also creates a fresh concern regarding SJ as his CV would show that he is not your long term 'doer-upper' type of Manager.

When slav was the manager of Fulham in the 2017/18 season, after 10 games they had 14 points, with a lot of draws and a few losses, they finished 3rd on 88 points and were promoted via the playoffs, now I'm not saying for a moment that history will repeat itself but I know damn sure that if you asked the Fulham fans after 10 games what the future held for them, they would have said that promotion was beyond them and mid table beckoned. Its 10 games ffs, the future isn't written yet either for the team or the players

Ok so which five games are we judging them on, the first five or the second ? It don't take much for the knives to come out do it.
Got a feeling last night would be a charity match, a " Save our Neil" game, anyway when was the last time we got a win there anybody remember ?...... ;)

I think we need to do a bit of business in the January window. Otherwise it will be a total overhaul next summer. We will probably still be in the championship but if we did get lucky enough to get back to the PL the amount of players needed is frightening. But based on the championship next season.
Olsen...on Loan. Good Needs replacing or buying.
Baldock...stays.
Egan...stays.
Steven's....needs replacing.
Robinson.....needs replacing.
Davies... average...on loan....needs replacing.
MGW on loan...needs replacing.
Norwood....needs replacing...
Fleck...needs replacing or kept as a squad player only.
Hourihane ..poor except for dead balls .on loan and need replacing.
Nydie...keep.
Guidoura...old....needs replacing...
Sharp old...needs replacing.
Didsy...old needs replacing...
Burke....no good....needs replacing..
Jebbison...keep.
McBurnie.....bang average.....may have no choice but to keep.
Brewster....poor.. God only knows what will happen with him.
Bogle....keep though we dont see enough of him.
Osborn...keep..
RND....squad player...keep.
Berge... sell to raise funds... needs replacing.

I probably forgot one or two.. .but unless the u23s deliver a shed load of players next season...or convert the loans...even in the championship we will need to get in in the region of 11 players....so January will be crucial in picking up few and to shipping a few out.

I think we need to do a bit of business in the January window. Otherwise it will be a total overhaul next summer. We will probably still be in the championship but if we did get lucky enough to get back to the PL the amount of players needed is frightening. But based on the championship next season.
Olsen...on Loan. Good Needs replacing or buying.
Baldock...stays.
Egan...stays.
Steven's....needs replacing.
Robinson.....needs replacing.
Davies... average...on loan....needs replacing.
MGW on loan...needs replacing.
Norwood....needs replacing...
Fleck...needs replacing or kept as a squad player only.
Hourihane ..poor except for dead balls .on loan and need replacing.
Nydie...keep.
Guidoura...old....needs replacing...
Sharp old...needs replacing.
Didsy...old needs replacing...
Burke....no good....needs replacing..
Jebbison...keep.
McBurnie.....bang average.....may have no choice but to keep.
Brewster....poor.. God only knows what will happen with him.
Bogle....keep though we dont see enough of him.
Osborn...keep..
RND....squad player...keep.
Berge... sell to raise funds... needs replacing.

I probably forgot one or two.. .but unless the u23s deliver a shed load of players next season...or convert the loans...even in the championship we will need to get in in the region of 11 players....so January will be crucial in picking up few and to shipping a few out.
It's a big problem and I don't know how we solve it. The squad needs a revamp, but we don't have the money to do it. A lot of these players are under contract, and no-one will take them off our hands. Plus, for one reason or another, the players you could consider our most valuable assets aren't playing, so their perceived value is dropping rapidly.

Berge and Guedioura in centre mid and possibly Hourihane in and around it too with Ndiaye and MGW. It will make the spine of the team stronger.

Bit of a shame for the others but we have to stiffen up midfield this season.

We have options this season - they need to be tried.

Do accept, the Slav philosophy may need a bit of time though.

UTB
Completely get your point, however Fleck has been fairly decent in the last few games. Think he’s created the most chances for us too (not assists just creation). He’s still got a place in my 11 albeit only for another game or two if he doesn’t improve

Olsen - OK he's not had 10 games, but we've seen enough to say he's adequate. KEEP.

Foderingham - Not disgraced nor shone. Probably cheap cover. KEEP.

Verrips - no words needed. GET RID.

RND - Sorry, I'm not encouraged he's going to be anything above a squad player. Hope I'm wrong. That said, he's still got the benefit of time on his side. KEEP.

Enda - Again he's just coming back, but I can't see how his better days are ahead of him. Looked shot going forward tonight. GET RID.

Robinson - Dreadful. GET RID.

Osborn. Started poorly but shown enough since the international break to demonstrate he can be a handy player in this squad. KEEP.

Lowe - If 3 managers felt Robinson & Enda were ahead of him, only means one thing. GET RID.

Baldock - He's had better form at United and his crossing is dreadful but he's a good RWB overall. KEEP.

Bogle - Not had much chance to shine but we know his capability, I think if we decide to go 4-3-3 he'd be a decent shout for right side of attack. KEEP.

Basham - I might be blinded by Basham infatuation (inbashuation) but his leadership by example and bravery still has value. KEEP.

Egan - Excellent, championship CB. KEEP.

Davies - Think he is a classy CB but he is weak and casual. It worries me that we've put all our eggs in one basket with this signing. If we could cancel his loan and instead sign an experienced, athletic, ugly, physical CB then I would GET RID.

Norwood - I don't think he's as spent as people make out, but we do need to find the right foil for him and that raises the question, is he still good enough to build a side around? I'm 50/50 but for the squad I would KEEP.

Fleck - As much as I like Fleck, he's nowhere near the player or athlete that has been outstanding for us between 2016 to March 2020. I always expect he'll leave us for Rangers some day but until then I would KEEP.

Guedioura - Decent cameo vs. Hull and gives us a bit of bite & bravery that we lack in the middle. KEEP.

Hourihane - We haven't seen much and he's already got 2 assists. For the sake of quality within the squad I would KEEP.

Berge - He's going to be an excellent footballer somewhere, but definitely not at Sheff Utd and probably not in England. GET RID.

Freeman - A player I have always wanted to see at United so wanted him to do well, but I think it's fair to say after a bad injury last year and a new high-tempo style he simply isn't right for us anymore (If he ever really was). GET RID.

Ndiaye - An exciting footballer who I look forward to seeing play. KEEP.

Gibbs-White - As above with Ndiaye, any chance of success we have hinges on his creativity. KEEP.

Burke - Slav gave him a fair crack at a fresh start, but he still gets to the byline and loses the ball. GET RID.

Brewster - I don't think he's been offensively poor this season and shown some glimpses, but I get the impression we'll forever be stuck on someday aisle with him. GET RID.

McBurnie - Another player I've always wanted at United and thought he'd be a threat in the Championship. Unfortunately, he seem thick as whale spunk. GET RID.

Mousset - Doesn't have the dedication to be a professional footballer. GET RID.

McGoldrick - As with Bash, I think there's still a good enough reason to keep him around, could be good for Ndiaye & MGW. KEEP.

Sharp - We shouldn't need to depend on him as much as we currently do, but here we are. KEEP.
How do you suggest we get rid of all the players you reject ?
We could sell them all for very little but I don’t think that would assist our financial situation.

Completely get your point, however Fleck has been fairly decent in the last few games. Think he’s created the most chances for us too (not assists just creation). He’s still got a place in my 11 albeit only for another game or two if he doesn’t improve
Really ? He was dreadful last night.

January could be one of the biggest transfer windows in recent memory. We have potential of a few outgoings or not. Do we loan out Brewster and McB and return Jebbo? Are there any others other than Lopata that get anywhere near the 1st team from the U23s? Is Maguire or Broadbent ready yet for the step up or too much of a risk?

No way we can get rid of both McBurnie and Brewster, I don't think we can even get rid of one because our investment would just be gone.

The small chance they could come alive is still better than the reality of setting fire to £40m.

Sadly agree as no club in their right mind would pay half of what we’ve paid. Take £25m for the pair

We can certainly conclude that promotion or even the play-offs is fanciful nonsense. We don't have the firepower to compensate for the semi-frequent defensive mistakes, and we don't appear to have the squad Jokanovic wants to play the football he wants.

4 points of the playoffs in September. 36 games and 108 points still to play for. Next time we win well reach into the ring and pull the towel back in and maybe nobody will notice

4 points of the playoffs in September. 36 games and 108 points still to play for. Next time we win well reach into the ring and pull the towel back in and maybe nobody will notice

You have a point, but to be fair I heard the same thing last season when I said after 3 games that we'd be relegated

Also a good chance that we'll go back for a couple of loans we missed in the JTW.

Main thing is being within a reasonable distance by then so we can convince the owner to give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom