Jimmy Dunne

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Big Hitter

Reaction score
Who was the deadliest striker we ever had. ?

Well I will put forward this guy. Played for us 1926-1933.
Made 183 appearances scored 154 goals in League and Cup appearances- thats an average of 1.18 games per goal i.e. in a 40 match season he would expect to score nearly 34 goals.
Antbody better.?

Sadly transferred to Arsenal where he did not prosper and died young at 44.

Made 183 appearances scored 154 goals in League and Cup appearances- thats an average of 1.18 games per goal i.e. in a 40 match season he would expect to score nearly 34 goals.
Antbody better.?

Yes, his goal ratio is the best for any Blade who has played over 50 appearances for us.

Amazing record and still holds the record for goals scored in consecutive games in the top flight I believe but could be wrong, 12 games. Vardy in second with 11.

He was in the IRA and imprisoned, was on hunger strike at one point. Buried back in Dublin in a United shirt apparently.

Yes, his goal ratio is the best for any Blade who has played over 50 appearances for us.
Silent - thanks for this.- My Dad would constantly talk about Dunne when taking me to the Lane when I was a kid, and mention the popular headline on reports of Utd matches at that time:-...." Tunney Dunne it again.." referring to the partnership of Tunstall and Dunne.

Antbody better.?

All very well, but what was his XG per 90 mins?

Amazing record and still holds the record for goals scored in consecutive games in the top flight I believe but could be wrong, 12 games. Vardy in second with 11.

He was in the IRA and imprisoned, was on hunger strike at one point. Buried back in Dublin in a United shirt apparently.
He was arrested in a case of mistaken identity. The police were after his brother. He also was a dual national footballer, representing the IFA and FAI.

Last edited:
Harry Johnson scored most goals for us but Jimmy Dunne scored in 12 straight consecutive top flight matches, a record still held to this day I believe 👍🏻

Harry Johnson scored most goals for us but Jimmy Dunne scored in 12 straight consecutive top flight matches, a record still held to this day I believe 👍🏻
Apparently stan mortensen scored in 15 consecutive matches in the first division that he played in for Blackpool in 1951, however he missed a couple of games through injury in the run, not sure wether that matters in this record.

January 1st 1930 scored 4 v West Ham won 4-2.
January 4th 1930 scored 4 v Leicester won 7-1.

Not bad - 8 goals in the week.!
Didn’t Leon Clarke have a similar week or two a few years back? Bouncing Day, 4 against hull and then a hat trick in that mad 4-5 loss to Fulham…

Kyle walker? Does he count? Not world class for us but he definitely has gone on to be. Surely the best and most successful footballer ever from Sheffield too.
I'd put Kyle in that bracket, the difference is that Jimmy Dunne was world class when playing for us.

Much as I love TC, there we more than a handful of players ahead of him across the world at his peak.

When Irish team played the Germans in 1939 he made sure that they didn't give the Nazi salute. Fascinating life ans incredible scoring record. A Blades/Sheffield connection would be his playing for Kiveton Parks's Herbert Chapman at Arsenal when they won the league:

https://www.irishpost.com/sport/jimmy-dunne-the-best-irish-striker-you-never-knew-74880

Dunne was prolific for United in this period, striking 36 in 1929/'30, 33 in 1931/'32 and 26 in 1932/'33, eventually earning himself a £8,000 move to join Arsenal and their famous manager Herbert Chapman. He won a league medal there without hitting the same heights.

... FOR ONCE WE ARE NOT GETTING CALLED..... SHEFFIELD ;-)

Dunne was prolific for United in this period, striking 36 in 1929/'30, 33 in 1931/'32 and 26 in 1932/'33, eventually earning himself a £8,000 move to join Arsenal and their famous manager Herbert Chapman. He won a league medal there without hitting the same heights.

... FOR ONCE WE ARE NOT GETTING CALLED..... SHEFFIELD ;-)
And 41 in season 1930/31. Still the clubs record for most goals for one season. All in the first division.

Any idea where? I'm going to Dublin in July and would be happy to go visit his grave if it's within range of the city centre.

Back
Top Bottom