Jim Phipps Interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Great interview lads.

It's great to see how much a guy 1000s of miles away loves the club.

Any plans to come to some matches this season JimPhipps ?

Jim did a similar thing for my son's 16th. I contacted Jim to see if he could get us Port Vale tickets (away) as we were in that area at that time. Instead he sorted us to sit in the directors box, free meal and bar. Really made my son's day. Top class bloke as many have mentioned and witnessed. Thanks again Jim and hope you are all doing well 👍
I bet he had a good day. 16 years old and a free bar!

*I may have slightly intentionally read that wrong 😁

More or less all of it. I've never tried to parse it out. It's always been a rough with smooth sort of thing.

If I was to start a list of things that make the club meaningful to me, number 1 would be the people, number 2 would be their connection to each other and the club and number 3 would be hard to choose between the heritage and history and the 'many hearts beating as one' thing. After that it'd be a mash up ... the quiet of Bramal Lane before a match, the endless banter, the passion, the heartbreak, away days, meeting up with Blades for a meal, the club staff, the smell of the pitch, and so on forever.

Doesn't need me to be rational. The guy is super high wattage.
And such humility is what works with the normal Saudi's. Just keep him well away from Yasir Al-Rumayyan and the loony toons.

I bet he had a good day. 16 years old and a free bar!

*I may have slightly intentionally read that wrong 😁
Thing is though, I didn't know (until we got there) that it was going to include a free bar or meal. I drove on that day 🤦

Still was a great experience. We sat in the Directors box one row down from McCabe and one of his guests.

I liked Jim’s highlights.

I’ve been going for just over 50 years now, but that Charlton game before, during and after had a really special feeling. Probably the best singing of GCB song ever.

The Hull semi for me started at The Green Man with red flares and singing, then marching to Wembley singing the Ally Ally O song for the first time and finally the clapping at the end.

That was a weird season - started very Weir(d). Bottomed out losing 3-0 in the rain at Crewe. Ended up 7th and scoring at Wembley. In a funny way it was probably one of the most enjoyable.

Fear The Beard!!
This one? Recorded by a Charlton fan at the end?

EDIT: Skip to 2:40 for GCB, but the whole thing is amazing.

Humble and self effacing, but can’t help the feeling there was much more to the man than he let on.
Brought in to do a job and did it with considerable success. I wish his open attitude to direct contact with supporters had caught on in today’s blades world.
Nice man and an enjoyable interview. Thanks Hal

Thought Jim Phipps was a Trump apologist?

No way?!? He exercised his human right of freedom to share a political belief?!?

This changes everything. In that case the next time he dares visit Bramall Lane we should paint him orange and hang him from the family stand using one of Donald's 7metre length red ties.

Good interview, really enjoyed it. I've criticised Phipps and what I perceived as 'Twitter cheerleading' at the time he was here, so it was good to hear him explain where it comes from and that it was well meaning. Perhaps something that is well received in the US but not so much by us cynical Blades who genuinely think that everything is going to end in disaster when it comes to the club?!

I'm glad to hear that Michael Doyle is a nice man, he's a terrible footballer though so he'll never be forgiven by me ;)

McCabe was a bit of a dick who didn't like losing, who'd have imagined that?! 😀

Back
Top Bottom