Jim Phipps Interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Never met Jim, didn't know him at all, and surprised and a little embarrassed to get an invite to watch the Preston cup game from the Directors box, via twitter when he found out I had just got back from working abroad, and apologies to Jim once again, didn't feel right accepting the offer

Never met Jim, didn't know him at all, and surprised and a little embarrassed to get an invite to watch the Preston cup game from the Directors box, via twitter when he found out I had just got back from working abroad, and apologies to Jim once again, didn't feel right accepting the offer
Jim did a similar thing for my son's 16th. I contacted Jim to see if he could get us Port Vale tickets (away) as we were in that area at that time. Instead he sorted us to sit in the directors box, free meal and bar. Really made my son's day. Top class bloke as many have mentioned and witnessed. Thanks again Jim and hope you are all doing well 👍

It's nice to hear from him again. Feel bad about the way things went at the end, but he shouldn't feel bad.

As we've seen many times, the latest being Wilder, this club will always find a way to fail

Truth is miserable is it ?
And I thought we tool the piss out of Wendy for their endless delusions
You're an odd character. You obviously care about United but you genuinely seem to hate the club. Hopefully it's just an online thing and you do actually get some enjoyment from being a fan 👍 UTB

Great interview Jim, just refreshing to meet someone who gets being a blade and can influence decisions. I hear a lot of your rationality has rubbed off onto HRH. You're still enormously valuable to him.

The podcast is finally in High Definition!

Insightful interview. For me it says a lot about McCabe that he couldn't put his differences aside. If you don't see eye to eye with someone then fine but at the end of the day there is still the same goal that everyone should work to for the good of the club.

Great interview Jim, just refreshing to meet someone who gets being a blade and can influence decisions. I hear a lot of your rationality has rubbed off onto HRH. You're still enormously valuable to him.

It’s extraordinary that an American could absorb so much of Sheffield United’s history and culture. As you say, he gets it, excellent interview.

Just out of mild interest, what it is you love about the Blades?
More or less all of it. I've never tried to parse it out. It's always been a rough with smooth sort of thing.

If I was to start a list of things that make the club meaningful to me, number 1 would be the people, number 2 would be their connection to each other and the club and number 3 would be hard to choose between the heritage and history and the 'many hearts beating as one' thing. After that it'd be a mash up ... the quiet of Bramal Lane before a match, the endless banter, the passion, the heartbreak, away days, meeting up with Blades for a meal, the club staff, the smell of the pitch, and so on forever.

More or less all of it. I've never tried to parse it out. It's always been a rough with smooth sort of thing.

If I was to start a list of things that make the club meaningful to me, number 1 would be the people, number 2 would be their connection to each other and the club and number 3 would be hard to choose between the heritage and history and the 'many hearts beating as one' thing. After that it'd be a mash up ... the quiet of Bramal Lane before a match, the endless banter, the passion, the heartbreak, away days, meeting up with Blades for a meal, the club staff, the smell of the pitch, and so on forever.

Be honest though JimPhipps - the thought of a French Fries Sandwich Greasy Chip Butty repulses you, didn't/doesn't it?

He was calling Chris Wilder at the end of CW's tenure despite his nice words in this. So despite him always answering me on social media I removed him from my accounts specfically linkedin which we used to message the most. It was interesting but superscilious which he always is.

I liked Jim’s highlights.

I’ve been going for just over 50 years now, but that Charlton game before, during and after had a really special feeling. Probably the best singing of GCB song ever.

The Hull semi for me started at The Green Man with red flares and singing, then marching to Wembley singing the Ally Ally O song for the first time and finally the clapping at the end.

That was a weird season - started very Weir(d). Bottomed out losing 3-0 in the rain at Crewe. Ended up 7th and scoring at Wembley. In a funny way it was probably one of the most enjoyable.

Fear The Beard!!

Doesn't need me to be rational. The guy is super high wattage.

Back
Top Bottom