Player Suggestion Jess Lingaard

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It would be interesting to see him and Norwood in a double pivot, but we dont have a single attacking midfielder. Nevermind 3, with 2 of them being wide options. There really is no other option than to limp on to the end of the season

Yep, I'd also like to see him and Lundstram play together centrally although, as you say, the lack of other options, especially attacking or naturally wide ones means they'll be limited to going backwards, sideways or punting it long to the front two when they have the ball.

To back-up your point, he usually played in a double pivot for Genk in a 4-2-3-1 formation, which enabled him to sit deeper to dictate play, he had other support centrally and he had plenty of options ahead of him, which suited his game far better than being a single lynchpin when he plays centrally (Norwood showing the dangers in that role on Sun) or, even worse, trying to turn him into a box-to-box midfielder in the RCM role, which suits him less that it does Lundstram.
think thats the system where berge would excel but chris wont change the system so it aint gonna happen

If you want to provide the 6 months of last season of evidence that he's a good player at this level then that is fine......

But i'll offer you the rest of his career as evidence he's not.
Dropped by multiple clubs immediately following promotion, and about to get relegated with another.

Berge, providing he stays, has to take his position next season.

Finding them for just the first 6 months is tricky, but happy to include the full season.

Midfield stats for 19/20...

Passes - 5th in the league.

passes.png

Minutes played (fwiw) - 8th in the league.

minutes.png

Tackles - 15th in the league (highest midfielder at the club).
tackles.png

Interceptions - 13th in the league (highest midfielder at the club, and, pre-lockdown I think he was pretty high as I remember Sky highlighting it at the time).
interceptions.png

Hope this helps.

Finding them for just the first 6 months is tricky, but happy to include the full season.

Midfield stats for 19/20...

Passes - 5th in the league.

View attachment 103436

Minutes played (fwiw) - 8th in the league.

View attachment 103437

Tackles - 15th in the league (highest midfielder at the club).
View attachment 103438

Interceptions - 13th in the league (highest midfielder at the club, and, pre-lockdown I think he was pretty high as I remember Sky highlighting it at the time).
View attachment 103439

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

I think it highlights really well what his main issue is, defensively he just isn't good enough to play in a single pivot at this level.

It's harsh to compare him to the man who is top of those bottom two lists, and he's the best holding player in the league by a distance.
But Wilder needs someone of that physical stature to play in that role, which is much more likely to be Berge once he actually learns how to apply his physical advantages more.

Could he play in a double pivot?
Maybe.
But he would need to add more goals/creativity to his game.

It's interesting just how far behind Jorginho he is interception wise.
Even Chelsea, who have a lot more possession and attacking quality have deemed him to be a liability defensively. So it's not surprising to see Norwood, in a team which defends even more, being exposed for his lack of defensive presence.

Thanks.

I think it highlights really well what his main issue is, defensively he just isn't good enough to play in a single pivot at this level.

It's harsh to compare him to the man who is top of those bottom two lists, and he's the best holding player in the league by a distance.
But Wilder needs someone of that physical stature to play in that role, which is much more likely to be Berge once he actually learns how to apply his physical advantages more.

Could he play in a double pivot?
Maybe.
But he would need to add more goals/creativity to his game.

It's interesting just how far behind Jorginho he is interception wise.
Even Chelsea, who have a lot more possession and attacking quality have deemed him to be a liability defensively. So it's not surprising to see Norwood, in a team which defends even more, being exposed for his lack of defensive presence.

Seriously? The stats literally show for tackles and interceptions he was top 15 in the league of all midfielders yet you think defending is/was his weakness, what would you expect the stats to be?

I’ve simply demonstrated why a team of our stature was right to keep, in my view (backed by several stats), the best midfielder at the club last season.

Agree but CW simply doesn't have the personnel so couldn't change to it even if he wanted to
he did have earlier in the season but he wont play 4 at the back or 1 up front in the 4-2-3-1 set up and i just dont understand why when were getting beat every week with this 5-3-2 system i thought he had a bit more savvy than that been a big chris wilder fan but imo hes got it totally wrong by being so stubborn and not trying something different

Real Sociedad, Milan and now Nice have changed their minds about signing him... clearly an issue there, question is what?

Real Sociedad, Milan and now Nice have changed their minds about signing him... clearly an issue there, question is what?

Covid and international travel? Its either that or wages. If it is wages causing them to pull out then he won't be coming here. Only way I can see this happen is if Man Utd are willing to loan him out whilst paying the majority of his wages in order to advertise his sale in the summer

Perhaps the potential move to us has advanced because of the unexpected £400k we have just received, funds to offer a higher % of wages?

Cannot speak Spanish, Italian or French ?

If he ends up at BDTBL it will be through gritted teeth and an absolute last resort for him, I think he'd be a decent punt but I'd question if his attitude will be right.

I know we always get criticised for our mentality but can you imagine Lingard coming into our squad? I bet he makes McBurnie's big time behaviour look tame.

I personally think he's a complete bellend, but that said we need a bit of that.
We need a nasty bastard in midfield and an arrogant play maker through the middle.
got to agree with you on that last sentence weve no pace physicality or creativity in midfield big mistake by chris not bringing a couple in last september

If he ends up at BDTBL it will be through gritted teeth and an absolute last resort for him, I think he'd be a decent punt but I'd question if his attitude will be right.

I know we always get criticised for our mentality but can you imagine Lingard coming into our squad? I bet he makes McBurnie's big time behaviour look tame.

Surely given our situation you would see it as a challenge and a showcase of talent. Lingard comes here and contributes to the reason we stay up his price would rocket because then you are associated with the greatest escape ever.

Surely given our situation you would see it as a challenge and a showcase of talent. Lingard comes here and contributes to the reason we stay up his price would rocket because then you are associated with the greatest escape ever.
We’re not staying up though, there’s not really a cat in hell’s chance. So it’s a question of why would he want to play in a very poor PL team?!

We’re not staying up though, there’s not really a cat in hell’s chance. So it’s a question of why would he want to play in a very poor PL team?!
Because it’s better for his future career to be playing, especially if he stands out in a poor team

My glass half full view is unless its not mathmatically possible there is every chance. Come back when that occurs.
You crack on. I’ll be realistic and then not disappointed when we get sub 10 points.

You crack on. I’ll be realistic and then not disappointed when we get sub 10 points.
I can accept the argument that there’s no point signing anyone because we’re already down but I can’t get my head round people thinking that we could bring in a better midfielder than Lingard.

I can accept the argument that there’s no point signing anyone because we’re already down but I can’t get my head round people thinking that we could bring in a better midfielder than Lingard.
We couldn’t, he’d be brilliant. I can still see the point in signing people as well, we need some improvement going into next season. As it stands we are heading into next season with a lot of momentum in the wrong direction.

I can of course see the upsides for Lingard in signing for us, at the same time I wouldn’t blame him for sitting the season out at Old Trafford as he can get a loan in the summer. That’s why I think we’re a desperation move for him and unlikely unless he feels he has no option.

He's on £100k a week, so likely the contribution would have to be at least £40/50k a week.

That could be used to cover salaries for a couple of players for the whole of next season.

Back
Top Bottom