James Hanson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I would much rather we had pushed the boat out for Gregory, who WAS the number one target rather than go for a big un.

Well yeah, I'd rather have brought Gregory in ( sure Wilder would have too)...sad fact being he would have cost over £1 million pounds whilst Hanson was around £100k...what can we do, that's the boat we're in at the moment.

UTB!

I'm gonna get slaughtered for this.

How many needless fouls ?

How many times did he win headers that went straight to a blue shirt ?

Don't get me wrong, he does give the side something different, and as has been said, his work and team ethic is tremendous.

I don't want him out of the side but I am beginning to think he is more of an off the bench plan B type player.

Is a percentage player. The hope being if he can be somewhat (10-20%) effective, that's good enough.

For a team that has destroyed its nearest rivals over consecutive Saturdays with neat passing progressive football, I would much rather we had pushed the boat out for Gregory, who WAS the number one target rather than go for a big un.

He is by no means the worst target man we have had but he is not brilliant either.

Did win the majority of his headers today though so I guess most will be happy with that.

UTB

Not going to slaughter you at all, it's all about opinions, but I'm afraid yours is wrong. The way he occupies defences creates a huge amount of space for other attacking players, and he changes the shape of games, quite dramatically, to our advantage. The minuses you mention don't matter at all, the positives outweigh the negatives many times over.

Get in! I'm not the only one in for some abuse! :)

Like you say can't fault his work rate, but I just see him as a taller, slower Done to be honest.

He seems to get clapped when he wins a flick on, but like with most flick ons they end up going to the defence. That's just giving away possession cheaply in my opinion.
This.^^^^

But in the fairness of balance, is this tactically naive rather than the players fault ????

Either way, and given the season we are having, and the methods employed to get us where we are, I'm just not getting this Hanson love in. One jot. If you actually look very closely, he is 80-90% ineffective. That is to say, he loses possession of the football approx this amount of the time he has an "input" in the game. In my book that's NGE. Perhaps I'm wrong !

We have dominated teams and are miles in front at the top of the division because we have passed teams to death. Evidence today against arguably our strongest rivals. Bossed them on the floor.

Not at all sure he's right for Billy either. Although miles better than Leon (poor Leon !).

I'm with you on this YesB. Pace and guile over brawn and bruises all day long.

UTB

Well yeah, I'd rather have brought Gregory in ( sure Wilder would have too)...sad fact being he would have cost over £1 million pounds whilst Hanson was around £100k...what can we do, that's the boat we're in at the moment.

UTB!
Which is why I said pushed the boat out. It was within our compass, we decided to pass, which IMHO and only that, was a mistake.

UTB

Which is why I said pushed the boat out. It was within our compass, we decided to pass, which IMHO and only that, was a mistake.

UTB

Not sure it was 'within our compass'...I reckon Wilder/Gregory wanted it but the boat wouldn't have made it ...

IMG_9442.JPG

Not going to slaughter you at all, it's all about opinions, but I'm afraid yours is wrong. The way he occupies defences creates a huge amount of space for other attacking players, and he changes the shape of games, quite dramatically, to our advantage. The minuses you mention don't matter at all, the positives outweigh the negatives many times over.
Can you give examples of how he creates huge amounts of space ?

The positives outway the negatives do they ?

I made a point of counting his first five inputs in today game. They were :-

Header to a blue shirt.
Header to a blue shirt.
Header to a blue shirt.
Header to a blue shirt.
Foul (needlessly) given against.

Get the DVD. Tell me I was wrong !!!!

UTB

Don't get me wrong, he does give the side something different, and as has been said, his work and team ethic is tremendous.

I don't want him out of the side but I am beginning to think he is more of an off the bench plan B type player.

Is a percentage player. The hope being if he can be somewhat (10-20%) effective, that's good enough.

For a team that has destroyed its nearest rivals over consecutive Saturdays with neat passing progressive football, I would much rather we had pushed the boat out for Gregory, who WAS the number one target rather than go for a big un.

He is by no means the worst target man we have had but he is not brilliant either.

Did win the majority of his headers today though so I guess most will be happy with that.

UTB
I'm sorry, but if you can't see how he has improved the side, I give up!

Can you give examples of how he creates huge amounts of space ?

The positives outway the negatives do they ?

I made a point of counting his first five inputs in today game. They were :-

Header to a blue shirt.
Header to a blue shirt.
Header to a blue shirt.
Header to a blue shirt.
Foul (needlessly) given against.

Get the DVD. Tell me I was wrong !!!!

UTB

Don't need the DVD, I was at the game. If you were, you might or might not have noticed that he doesn't just sit in one position like a lump, he makes runs and shows for the ball, constantly, and drags at least 2 defenders with him. Sorry, you are wrong, I don't think you understand the role he is playing, really well.

I personally think Jake Wright coming back into the team has been a bigger impact on our improved form.

Yesblade and Dronnieblade you are mistaken in your assessment of Hanson.

Here's why,

1) Football is about mixing it up Hanson now allows a new option of long ball with someone who will actually win headers. Obviously we don't want to be drawn into this all the match but he can also hold up and play on the ground.
2) Football is about percentages some of the flick ons didn't get picked up - this will improve as Billy and the midfield gain understanding that this is going to happen.
3) Hanson often had two centre backs marking him freeing up others to push forward and find space.
4) The centre backs were frightened of him and continually fouled him or held him - they were both shattered at the end. In fact Beevers made a number of forced errors.
5) His work rate is as good as Done's but he is much more threatening in front of goal
6) Big man little man strike forces have proven historically to work - especially if the big man can head and play a bit!

Here's why,

1) Football is about mixing it up Hanson now allows a new option of long ball with someone who will actually win headers. Obviously we don't want to be drawn into this all the match but he can also hold up and play on the ground.
2) Football is about percentages some of the flick ons didn't get picked up - this will improve as Billy and the midfield gain understanding that this is going to happen.
3) Hanson often had two centre backs marking him freeing up others to push forward and find space.
4) The centre backs were frightened of him and continually fouled him or held him - they were both shattered at the end. In fact Beevers made a number of forced errors.
5) His work rate is as good as Done's but he is much more threatening in front of goal
6) Big man little man strike forces have proven historically to work - especially if the big man can head and play a bit!
That's that then. TC said so. I'll get mi coat !!

UTB

Don't need the DVD, I was at the game. If you were, you might or might not have noticed that he doesn't just sit in one position like a lump, he makes runs and shows for the ball, constantly, and drags at least 2 defenders with him. Sorry, you are wrong, I don't think you understand the role he is playing, really well.
No i wasn't at the game fella. I made that shit up for the hell of it !!!

Blue shirt
Blue shirt
Blue shirt
Blue shirt
Foul.

TELL ME I WAS WRONG ?????

UTB

Hanson has always been the best target man I have seen at this level when we have played Bradford in the past and thought he was exactly what we have needed for about 4 season's. Great that we finally have him showing his value.

And, contrary to my darkest fears - No Hoof! The football has got better, if anything. We are truly blessed with an excellent team right now.

Thank Pele; Thank Tufty.

❤⚔

UTB

Harsh. He gives us something no-one else can, and he's a better player than I gave him credit for.

It's about balance in the team and squad - some games we won't need him, and others he's invaluable. Clever signing and well used by Wilder.

I liken Hanson to the germaline to our gash, exactly what was required, proper ointment Chrissy boy!!

Here's why,

1) What use is winning a flick on when it goes straight to a defender more often than not.
2) As the Bradford fans said, good luck to Sharp with reading his flick ons.
3) I'm not seeing that personally, I saw pace and movement from our better players causing problems.
4) Again didn't see that personally, thought they had Hanson under control.
5) He's only scored 5 goals this season, I don't see him as goal threat. He's 10 goals a season maximum at League One level.
6) maybe pre 2000, look at the top sides in the premier league and Europe. No one plays with a big man little man partnership and no top side sees winning flick ons as a desirable quality in a striker.

Last edited:
Can I also point out that we were actually top of the league when Hanson was signed!

We hit a bad patch due to conceding 8 goals in 3 matches. Jake Wright comes back in and we've only conceded 1 in 5 matches.

Jake Wright - we're not worthy!

giphy.gif

1) What use is winning a flick on when it goes straight to a defender more often than not.
2) As the Bradford fans said, good luck to Sharp with reading his flick ons.
3) I'm not seeing that personally, I saw pace and movement from our better players causing problems.
4) Again didn't see that personally, thought they had Hanson under control.
5) He's only scored 5 goals this season, I don't see him as goal threat. He's 10 goals a season maximum at League One level.
6) maybe pre 2000, look at the top sides in the premier league and Europe. No one plays with a big man little man partnership and no top side sees winning flick ons as a desirable quality in a striker.
And yet nearly all of the top sides play with a big man up front

I'll leave you with this, cos I'm off out out :):)
1. Proof positive Mandela effect is real and clear evidence of its epicentre being somewhere in S2 !
2. I know of NO other set of football clubs fans that cheer raucously when its player wins a header that goes straight to an opponent (as was the case at least 20 times today).
3."it ain't want you don't know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know for sure that just ain't so" Mark Twain.

Great 3 poInts.

UTB

Such as?!?

If you mean the likes of Zlatan or Costa, I think they would get into those teams if they were smaller! It's their all round ability that got them to the top not their height.

For example Aguero plays as a lone striker for Man City, but is small, height doesn't come into it, it's how good the player is.

Discredited myth of many moons ago, hopelessly perpetuated by the S2 hoards.

Did Burton have one last year ?
Wigan ?
Barnsley ?

Year before that.
None of them did either ?

And we are top of the league on the back of pro basket ballers Billy Sharp, Matt Done, Caolon Lavery.

Only in S2 !!!!!

UTB

You are wrong because you are completely missing the point of what he does.
Gives the ball away and fouls you mean ;)

I'll assume your not answering my question for a reason !

I'll suggest I do realise what he brings. I'm not against him. He's perhaps our best option. But that is more to do with the lack of quality we have up top (aside Sharp) rather than a feather in Hansons cap.

UTB

I'm a big fan of Hanson's, but I didn't think today was his best game.

By no means did he play poorly but I just felt that he gave away a few too many fouls and didn't look much of a goal threat. Sometimes there's no need to challenge for a header when you are clearly the wrong side of the man and can't get there without fouling the opponent.

I'm being über critical though. Great team performance today.

Such as?!?

If you mean the likes of Zlatan or Costa, I think they would get into those teams if they were smaller! It's their all round ability that got them to the top not their height.

For example Aguero plays as a lone striker for Man City, but is small, height doesn't come into it, it's how good the player is.
And yet they are not small they are both over 6' so bit of a bullshit argument really

Hanson is so good at timing his run and jump to win headers and anticipating where the ball is.

We have had some big men in recent times who stood at 6 foot odd, but were leaden footed and ended up about 5 foot 10 when jumping. Hanson is the complete opposite.

Add to that he can control a ball and has a very good football brain (so we don't immediately hoof it to him) and I think he is doing exactly the job Wilder thought Clarke would do.

When you look at what him, Carruthers and O'Shea have done (in limited opportunities for the latter two) - I think it's safe to say this is the best January and maybe season for recruitment since, since, maybe since I can remember. Quite a statement.

Hanson is so good at timing his run and jump to win headers and anticipating where the ball is.

We have had some big men in recent times who stood at 6 foot odd, but were leaden footed and ended up about 5 foot 10 when jumping. Hanson is the complete opposite.

Add to that he can control a ball and has a very good football brain (so we don't immediately hoof it to him) and I think he is doing exactly the job Wilder thought Clarke would do.

Whe you look at what him, Carruthers and O'Shea have done (in limited opportunities for the latter two) - I think it's safe to say this is the best January and maybe season for recruitment since, since, maybe since I can remember. Quite a statement.
His winning the headers is not questioned. Certainly not today. It's where the headers go that I have issue.

I'll admit it. My view is a blinkered one. Sue me.

But retaining and winning possession of the football is the name of the game. Other than freakish incidents in the 120 year history of the game it's unheard of for a team with possession to concede a goal or for the team without possession to score one. And when you boil it down scoring and not conceding is what it's all about !!

UTB

Back
Top Bottom