CONFIRMED James Hanson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

At least one more than No-Goals Nick, I believe. 44 in his entire career including 12 in the Scottish Sunday League, and multiple penalty kicks. We should pair him with Matt Done.

Fact is, he was scoring goals for us.

As for penalties, you still need score them. Sharp has fluffed his fair share of penalties this season.

I'm telling you pal, this was way bigger than any toe I've ever seen!! you can tell she's had 2 kids let's put it like that!!!!:eek::rolleyes:;)

Your point has been made many times before, and I can't believe people still defend him!? crazy!
Clarke is wank, fact!

11 in half a season for us at this level despite spending some of that time out wide. The most league goals Hanson has ever scored in a season at professional level is 13 and that was 5 years ago.

Just last season Blackman scored 11 in 25 for Reading in the championship before being sold for millions. I'm flabbergasted that anyone would prefer to sign Hanson over Blackman.

11 in half a season for us at this level despite spending some of that time out wide. The most league goals Hanson has ever scored in a season at professional level is 13 and that was 5 years ago.

Just last season Blackman scored 11 in 25 for Reading in the championship before being sold for millions. I'm flabbergasted that anyone would prefer to sign Hanson over Blackman.
How many were from penalties?

Scored 18 goals in his 103 games for Reading

Scored 1 from 21 games for Derby

Was that from a penalty?

Is Blackman really better than Hanson in the air and is he really better than him when it comes to flicking the ball on for his strike partner to score?

Don't understand why you are flabbergasted!

Was that from a penalty?

Is Blackman really better than Hanson in the air and is he really better than him when it comes to flicking the ball on for his strike partner to score?

I don't know how many were penalties. But then I don't know how many of those games he also played out wide. I also don't know how many of those 103 games for Reading were as a sub and/or in the Prem. What I do know is that I've seen both play and would much rather have Blackman. He's not as good as Hanson in the air but is probably better in every other aspect of the game. He's also bigger and better in the air than Sharp, Done and possibly Lavery whilst also bringing pace and the ability to beat a man. Commanded millions in transfer fees, played most of his career at a higher level than this one. He's a couple of years younger than Hanson who has, at the age of 29 never to my knowledge played higher than league 1. Blackman just a year ago commanded a transfer fee of over £3million. Can you imagine anyone ever even considering paying that kind of money for Hanson?

I'm not deriding the Hanson signing either. He's a decent league 1 target man. A handy option off the bench to do the "Chief" role but Blackman is a decent all round forward player at championship level. For what it's worth, I don't think Blackman would ever have been a realistic target but maintain he is comfortably a better player.

I don't know how many were penalties. But then I don't know how many of those games he also played out wide. I also don't know how many of those 103 games for Reading were as a sub and/or in the Prem. What I do know is that I've seen both play and would much rather have Blackman. He's not as good as Hanson in the air but is probably better in every other aspect of the game. He's also bigger and better in the air than Sharp, Done and possibly Lavery whilst also bringing pace and the ability to beat a man. Commanded millions in transfer fees, played most of his career at a higher level than this one. He's a couple of years younger than Hanson who has, at the age of 29 never to my knowledge played higher than league 1. Blackman just a year ago commanded a transfer fee of over £3million. Can you imagine anyone ever even considering paying that kind of money for Hanson?

I'm not deriding the Hanson signing either. He's a decent league 1 target man. A handy option off the bench to do the "Chief" role but Blackman is a decent all round forward player at championship level. For what it's worth, I don't think Blackman would ever have been a realistic target but maintain he is comfortably a better player.

When Blackman played for us he liked to hog the ball on the right wing and doing stepovers (he is left footed) but didn't really "look up" to see who he should pass the ball to. Which of our strikers in 2012-13 paired up with him well? To me he wouldn't pair up well with Sharp. When I saw him again in the pre-season friendly., he still liked to hog the ball on the right wing and doing stepovers. He isn't really a team player.

Good penalty taker though

Isn't the point of his signing for us that he brings something completely different to what we already have? We probably have better footballers in the squad already but he brings a physical presence that will frighten opposition defenders and give us an aerial option for crosses that normally go well above the others that we already have. Together with O'Shea's set pieces, the last pieces of the jig saw to get promotion.

Huge Bladey overrating of the mediocre non-striker Blackman I'm afraid. Then again, we all think Runaround Done is the answer so perhaps a NoGoals strike force is the way ahead.

Hanson every time for me. Not because he's great but because Blackman isn't.

As for the prevailing theory that JH will be a Chief style "impact sub". Forget it and get real. He's going to start. That's an absolute certainty. We wouldn't have brought him here at substantial expense to sit on the bench and he wouldn't have signed were that the case.

When Blackman played for us he liked to hog the ball on the right wing and doing stepovers (he is left footed) but didn't really "look up" to see who he should pass the ball to. Which of our strikers in 2012-13 paired up with him well? To me he wouldn't pair up well with Sharp. When I saw him again in the pre-season friendly., he still liked to hog the ball on the right wing and doing stepovers. He isn't really a team player.

The much maligned but far better player Dave Kitson played in that team. I believe he scored about the same number as Nogoals Nick and I saw him win at least two of the penalties that NGN scored very nicely. Meanwhile our knowledgeable fans were campaigning for him to be replaced by:

Ironside......Ironside......

I do chuckle to myself at times....

Isn't the point of his signing for us that he brings something completely different to what we already have? We probably have better footballers in the squad already but he brings a physical presence that will frighten opposition defenders and give us an aerial option for crosses that normally go well above the others that we already have. Together with O'Shea's set pieces, the last pieces of the jig saw to get promotion.

Precisely, provided our less gifted players don't take "Hoof it to Hanson" as the easy way out. My hope is neither Tufty nor our talented footballers will allow that to happen. In fact, Hanson wouldn't like it either. Good centre-forwards like the ball played to them in areas where they can hold it up and bring others into play.

I am and always have been (this will surprise some) in favour of a big strong physical centre-forward. Used in the right way, it is no impediment at all to proper football. Ask Arsene and Giroud.

I'd prefer Messi to Hanson, if we're going down this route.

Fuck sake, how are we not signing these players!? His contract runs out in 2018 so he would only be over 100 million! This would be a massive statement of intent! Sack the board!

Was that from a penalty?

Ah we are back to the penalties don't count bollocks.

Beattie a shit striker since he only tucked away a few penalties. Sharp was getting slagged off earlier this season for his couple of penalty misses but now it seems when you look back on a strikers stats that penalties don't count for much.

Is there not a man in front of the of the net called a goalkeeper that you have to beat to score? Or is it just an open goal?

It would certainly help if England were better at putting penalties away.

Ah we are back to the penalties don't count bollocks.

Beattie a shit striker since he only tucked away a few penalties. Sharp was getting slagged off earlier this season for his couple of penalty misses but now it seems when you look back on a strikers stats that penalties don't count for much.

Is there not a man in front of the of the net called a goalkeeper that you have to beat to score? Or is it just an open goal?

It would certainly help if England were better at putting penalties away.

A penalty is a free shot!

A penalty is a free shot!

It is. Scoring from the spot is a skill though. It isn't, however, a striker's skill. We know this by considering a few leading exponents. I'll leave the list to you, being much better than I at that sort of thing. I hope our next penalty (it will be tomorrow, I have a feeling) is taken not by Billy but Duffy, Coutts or a left-field (actually right-field, I suppose) option Freeman.

I don't dismiss the art of penalty-taking but I want a striker who is predatory in the whole of and around the penalty area, not just 12 yards and centre, unchallenged, from the goal-line.

I agree he gives us something different in that respect and as I say, I’m not deriding the signing. I’m just amazed that somebody wouldn’t want a player of Nick Blackman’s calibre at any league 1 club. Hanson is a useful option for a role similar to that performed by the chief in the triple assault season.

Huge Bladey overrating of the mediocre non-striker Blackman I'm afraid. Then again, we all think Runaround Done is the answer so perhaps a NoGoals strike force is the way ahead.

Hanson every time for me. Not because he's great but because Blackman isn't.

As for the prevailing theory that JH will be a Chief style "impact sub". Forget it and get real. He's going to start. That's an absolute certainty. We wouldn't have brought him here at substantial expense to sit on the bench and he wouldn't have signed were that the case.

We most certainly don’t all think Done is the answer. But I know you enjoy that particular straw man.

Personally, I would take the quicker, younger, more skilful championship player than the "up and at em" lower league target man to hoof the ball up to but whatever floats your boat….

I think you’re probably right that Wilder will be thinking he’ll start and that may the the way for a while. But I don’t think it’ll last as there’ll be similar issues to when Clarke and Sharp started together. I reckon he’ll end up relegated to the Chief role sooner or later.

The much maligned but far better player Dave Kitson played in that team. I believe he scored about the same number as Nogoals Nick and I saw him win at least two of the penalties that NGN scored very nicely. Meanwhile our knowledgeable fans were campaigning for him to be replaced by:

Ironside......Ironside......

I do chuckle to myself at times....

Some colorful re-writing of history there Pinchy.

Kitson was a decent player and for his first 6 months he did well for us playing alongside Blackman or Miller.

When Blackman was sold and Miller was injured and there was no pace or quality up alongside him, he faded badly in the 2nd half of the season. He looked less mobile as the season went on and in the last few games had resorted to cynical fouls at every opportunity rather and brawling with opponents than making a meaningful contribution to the team just like James Beattie did when his legs went.

Agree he could be too greedy and his decision making wasn't always the best. But we could certainly benefit from having a quick, powerful, direct player who can run at defenders which he could.

I note your point about the pre-season game but would also say he had Chris Hussey on toast in that game and scored the winner (yes, I know it was a penalty).

So penalties don't count then? A free kick is pretty much a free shot as well.

Beckham? Completely useless. Didn't get enough goals from open play.
Far more easier to score a penalty than a free kick!

Why bring up that overrated tosser Beckham??

Far more easier to score a penalty than a free kick!

Why bring up that overrated tosser Beckham??

Well enough top level strikers have missed a number of penalties, Agüero for one. So I would say a strikers ability to put away penalties is rather vital during the course of a match or season. I think knocking a striker because they scored some penalties rather than all their goals being in open play is out of order.

We have seen players in different positions completely bottle it from the penalty spot. Simonson's penalty is still in orbit somewhere, so clearly not as easy as some folk on here think.

But yeah Beckham what an overrated tosser....and James Beattie.... :rolleyes:

Well enough top level strikers have missed a number of penalties, Agüero for one. So I would say a strikers ability to put away penalties is rather vital during the course of a match or season. I think knocking a striker because they scored some penalties rather than all their goals being in open play is out of order.

We have seen players in different positions completely bottle it from the penalty spot. Simonson's penalty is still in orbit somewhere, so clearly not as easy as some folk on here think.

But yeah Beckham what an overrated tosser....and James Beattie.... :rolleyes:
How many penalties do we have a season? Not many! It is far more important to have strikers who score a lot in open play!

Back
Top Bottom