Is the atmosphere at BDBL a cause for concern?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Is the atmosphere at BDBL a cause for concern?

• Yes

Votes: 62 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 99 61.5%

• Total voters

Barney

Reaction score
Summarising this issue once and for all via a poll.

Make your opinion known.

Just play the opening 7 seconds to Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin”. You’ll be able to count the people not singing on one hand.

Away from home our support is (usually) great though. Surely no one can argue with that?

And how many grounds have you been at where you genuinely think the home support is loud? I can’t think of many.

Of course it's a concern. There's no sign it will ever get better. In fact it will only get worse. The average age will continue to rise, while the young are being brought up in an environment where any form of vocal support is deemed inappropriate.

Some might only care about what happens on the pitch, but the atmosphere and support directly affects that.

Of course it's a concern. There's no sign it will ever get better. In fact it will only get worse. The average age will continue to rise, while the young are being brought up in an environment where any form of vocal support is deemed inappropriate.

Really? I am under the impression that there are more young lads (and lasses) at games than ever before.

Before the showbiz days of teams walking out to blaring music and the players being kept cool by people waving big flags while they try to play happy families shaking hands like a sibling being forced to make up with his younger brother, there used to just be singing for a few minutes cranking up the atmosphere.... even more so if you could hear the oppo fans giving it some as well.
By the time the teams came out, there was a real sense of camaraderie and togetherness about the crowd up for the fight, instead of a group of customers sat waiting patiently for the next part of the entertainment to start.
Football just isn't the same any more.
The game itself has been sanitised, there's no room for the characters of the good old days, and the 'stars' of today are so far removed from the norm, that it's almost a different sport to the one played on a Sunday morning up and down the country.
Ditch the music, flags, divers and handshakes. Reintroduce standing, baccy smoke and bovril, and golden goal tickets and we'll soon see the atmosphere cranked up a gear or two. :)

As Wilder says, the atmosphere helps the players perform better. He’s asked us on a number of occasions to raise the intensity.

I voted yes, just, because I’d love to be stood up chanting and roaring the team on every week with others around me.

But I go with my old man and where we sit, it is what it is.

My main concern, is that we don’t start getting twitchy and moaning at every miss placed pass. Thus far this season I don’t think we’ve been too bad with that, then again our home form is excellent this year.

I’d settle for a poor atmosphere in trying to get the team going, over any excessive moaning if it’s not going so well.

Some might only care about what happens on the pitch, but the atmosphere and support directly affects that.

"while the young are being brought up in an environment where any form of vocal support is deemed inappropriate"

Any actual evidence for this on an ongoing basis.

Whilst in the South Stand, I've never ever heard anyone tell someone else to stop singing, or even tut at someone.

Your statement appears to be a gross exaggeration unless where I sit is a small bubble unlike anywhere else in the stadium. It's now reaching Funny Little Nigel levels of obsession.

I voted yes, just, because I’d love to be stood up chanting and roaring the team on every week with others around me.

But I go with my old man and where we sit, it is what it is.

My main concern, is that we don’t start getting twitchy and moaning at every miss placed pass. Thus far this season I don’t think we’ve been too bad with that, then again our home form is excellent this year.

I’d settle for a poor atmosphere in trying to get the team going, over any excessive moaning if it’s not going so well.

Not aimed at you but after Ricky had put all the hard work in, including twisting the club's arm over the BLUT singing section, the result was apathy from so many of those who were calling for it. Now it's back to a standing section thats needed to do the trick.

I'm not sure that home games are any different now, to what they've ever been in my time watching us. If anything, I see more young 'uns than ever before. And do appreciate, that any crowd whatever age, can lift the team.
What's most striking, to me is going to away games. There's nearly always, a concentration of, youngsters, who seem to be, most interested in what happens in the concourse.. :(

In nearly 11 years and 2 months supporting our glorious team I've never known things this bad . I genuinely believe it's impossible to get even badder :(

"while the young are being brought up in an environment where any form of vocal support is deemed inappropriate"

Any actual evidence for this on an ongoing basis.

Whilst in the South Stand, I've never ever heard anyone tell someone else to stop singing, or even tut at someone.

Your statement appears to be a gross exaggeration unless where I sit is a small bubble unlike anywhere else in the stadium. It's now reaching Funny Little Nigel levels of obsession.

I was spot on about Clough as well. But I'm not starting the threads. When thread after thread gets posted about ownership/accounts etc I'd expect you to post on every one as well.

It's not so much any tutting or complaining, it's how out of place it feels in the majority of the stadium - you're more likely to be gawped at than have anyone join in. And constantly sitting down is far from conducive for singing.

Many of the kids will be in the family stand, and you've referred to it being dead on that stand plenty of times, which it is.

I was spot on about Clough as well. But I'm not starting the threads. When thread after thread gets posted about ownership/accounts etc I'd expect you to post on every one as well.

It's not so much any tutting or complaining, it's how out of place it feels in the majority of the stadium - you're more likely to be gawped at than have anyone join in. And constantly sitting down is far from conducive for singing.

Many of the kids will be in the family stand, and you've referred to it being dead on that stand plenty of times, which it is.

Football wise spot on. However your campaign that he was mentally illwas bs.

I've yet to see an adult gawper over singing. Siddarners yes. Where are these people?

You've been known to criticise our away support who tend to stand. Which is it?

Kids grow up and move to other parts of the ground They don't sit in John Street forever.

Whilst I agree with your sentiment, and praised your work re the BLUT, there seems some major exaggerations about the issues. People tend to become passionate as events occur on the pitch. Not because of forum rallying cries.

Football tends to be less exciting than it used to be though. Mainly because its just a series of set plays which doesn't help the play to develop. Any challenge on a keeper, 50/50 in midfield,shoulder to shoulder into touch, jump for a header or closing down a defender making a clearance just ends up in a free kick all the time. Its getting to stage now where even defenders are diving. It doesn't even have to be the players going for the ball, half the time anyone defending a corner for instance will just go down in case a goal is scored and them being down means it might get chalked off. This will only get worse when VAR comes in. A foul should be a foul not just two players touching each other. It can't just be me who is fed up of it. To be honest its worse in the Prem and Champions League than in our league. Be interesting to see free kick stats for last say twenty years.

Back
Top Bottom