VAR Is it better without VAR?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Is it better this season without VAR?

  • Yes, thank god we don't have to wait five minutes before we can celebrate a goal

    Votes: 443 82.0%
  • No, the officials are making errors that VAR would have spotted

    Votes: 97 18.0%

  • Total voters
    540
An implementation should be with a central group of people making the reviews. The group should be x (say five) referees and the decisions to overturn the referee would need to be unanimous. That's "clear & obvious" for you.

The same group could also review cheaters and suspend them if the group vote unanimous against the cheater.
 



I wish they would start booking players that dive when these penalties get put through VAR and re confirmed as no penalty.

It drives me mad how they overturn a penalty and then don't book for diving when it's clear there is no contact.
Not that it makes sense, but I think the reason they don't is that VAR can't get involved with yellow cards, same way they don't get involved for a second yellow.

Tbh I think a yellow for a dive isn't enough punishment, it's blatant cheating and if successful steals you an almost certain goal. I would rather they sack off yellows in the game for diving (never get given anyway) and implement a system where games are reviewed after the fact, and anyone caught diving (including throwing themself on the floor because they felt a slight contact) should be given an immediate 1 game suspension, rising to 2 and so on for subsequent offenses in the season. Would quickly put an end to players trying to con themself a pen as the risk vs reward is much harsher, currently they only risk an outside chance of a yellow card.

The reason I suggest doing it after the game is there's no time limit to it and it stops VAR interfering for 10 mins while they decide if a player dived or not, I'm of the opinion that in the game VAR should have a 30 second maximum interruption, no lines and no slow-mo, maybe a freeze frame for offside. If you can't tell somethings wrong from a quick normal speed replay or a freeze frame with no lines then it's not worth the interference.
 
Not that it makes sense, but I think the reason they don't is that VAR can't get involved with yellow cards, same way they don't get involved for a second yellow.

Tbh I think a yellow for a dive isn't enough punishment, it's blatant cheating and if successful steals you an almost certain goal. I would rather they sack off yellows in the game for diving (never get given anyway) and implement a system where games are reviewed after the fact, and anyone caught diving (including throwing themself on the floor because they felt a slight contact) should be given an immediate 1 game suspension, rising to 2 and so on for subsequent offenses in the season. Would quickly put an end to players trying to con themself a pen as the risk vs reward is much harsher, currently they only risk an outside chance of a yellow card.

The reason I suggest doing it after the game is there's no time limit to it and it stops VAR interfering for 10 mins while they decide if a player dived or not, I'm of the opinion that in the game VAR should have a 30 second maximum interruption, no lines and no slow-mo, maybe a freeze frame for offside. If you can't tell somethings wrong from a quick normal speed replay or a freeze frame with no lines then it's not worth the interference.
Valid points and i agree, plus by doing this as a review post game rather than a card you can actually alter severity of punishment for serial divers.

absolutely kills me when you see a decent performance from a team ruined by the players who have perfected the art of diving.
 
Still better without VAR. The game feels very sterile with it’s use & all that really gets talked about after games now, is how it should have been used in a different way.

Give me refs that miss a blatant hand-ball or gives a free-kick when a player clearly dived every single day of the week over that shit. Quick offside check after a goal - if it’s not obvious, go with whatever was decided on the field. Throw everything else in the bin.
 
Give VAR to AI - refs be out of a job at VAR HQ.
It will be a few years yet but eventually there may not be any need for a ref or linesmen on the field any more.
 
Still better without VAR. The game feels very sterile with it’s use & all that really gets talked about after games now, is how it should have been used in a different way.

Give me refs that miss a blatant hand-ball or gives a free-kick when a player clearly dived every single day of the week over that shit. Quick offside check after a goal - if it’s not obvious, go with whatever was decided on the field. Throw everything else in

VAR took over 8 minutes to eventually rule out a Bournemouth goal yesterday, please keep it away from the championship
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dkc
Still better not to have VAR than to have it, it wouldn't have overturned the penalty though.

At the same time QPR scored their offside goal, Bournemouth's second goal against Wolves was being checked before being disallowed after a 5 minute VAR check.

Michael Dawson who was covering our game in the studio, was going on about how when QPR's goal was disallowed, everyone just got on with what they were doing.

Compared to the Bournemouth situation where it took ages to work out if it was a goal or not, including the referee apparently speaking to both managers before ruling it out.
 
Still better not to have VAR than to have it, it wouldn't have overturned the penalty though.

At the same time QPR scored their offside goal, Bournemouth's second goal against Wolves was being checked before being disallowed after a 5 minute VAR check.

Michael Dawson who was covering our game in the studio, was going on about how when QPR's goal was disallowed, everyone just got on with what they were doing.

Compared to the Bournemouth situation where it took ages to work out if it was a goal or not, including the referee apparently speaking to both managers before ruling it out.
Most fans have grown up without var and loved the game without it.
I don't think anyone decided to go to matches for to sit around for a few minutes while they decide. Also ruins proper goal celebrations, without var, you'd maybe glance at the lino for a flag. But that is only 1/2 seconds.
'clear and obbious' if vat can't overule it in a second or two, it wasn't clearly wrong.
 
So much better.
Being able to spontaneously celebrate a goal is one of the most importnat parts of watching footall.
Most people spot the offside flag or have watched enough football to know if the goal is 'iffy' and then temper their celebrations.
But there was nothing worse than not being able to go mental when (if!) we scored as we waited for VAR to confirm it.
By the time it had been confirmed the 'moment' has gone.
Having said that, loved the way it pissed off Snodgrass and West Ham when the decision went against them in injury time 2 seasons ago. That was worth celebrating after the decision!!
A few seats were "sacrificed" in the lower tier.Cockernees in meltdown.
Whatever happened to Snodgrass.Thought he was half decent despite his occassinal antics.
 
Most fans have grown up without var and loved the game without it.
I don't think anyone decided to go to matches for to sit around for a few minutes while they decide. Also ruins proper goal celebrations, without var, you'd maybe glance at the lino for a flag. But that is only 1/2 seconds.
'clear and obbious' if vat can't overule it in a second or two, it wasn't clearly wrong.

I’ve never understood the ruins goal celebrations point. I’ve always celebrated goals exactly the same, regardless of if VAR is in use or not.

The ball hits the back of the net and I jump up, worst case it’s then disallowed. I don’t feel like an idiot or anything for celebrating a disallowed goal, it’s just the way it goes sometimes.
 



I voted "no" and I prefer to have VAR in the Championship. Stoke's winner would have been quickly ruled out. The officials in the Championship division have always been poor.
 
I voted "no" and I prefer to have VAR in the Championship. Stoke's winner would have been quickly ruled out. The officials in the Championship division have always been poor.
The odd mistake by the officials still far outweighs the horrendous VAR. I'll also reserve judgement on today's offside until I've seen Shackleton's position.
 
The odd mistake by the officials still far outweighs the horrendous VAR. I'll also reserve judgement on today's offside until I've seen Shackleton's position.
No, far too many mistakes by the officials in the Championship
 
I voted "no" and I prefer to have VAR in the Championship. Stoke's winner would have been quickly ruled out. The officials in the Championship division have always been poor.
The officials, particularly the ref were terrible. For both sides but most of the bad decisions wouldn’t have had VAR intervention

The goal might’ve been ruled out, but it would’ve taken an age to get to the decision

Last weeks Manchester derby reinforced the need to get rid or sort var out, they’ll do neither.

More rules coming in and not been implemented properly at EFL level, the smart one of making players go off for 1 minute when the physio has been on was made into a farce today as the ref insisted Peck and Cisse go off when neither were down for long and both wanted to hobble on and continue.

That’s the problem. Officials can’t implement the rules or VAR
The odd mistake by the officials still far outweighs the horrendous VAR. I'll also reserve judgement on today's offside until I've seen Shackleton's position.
Yeah presumed he was off from the tv view but Shackleton might’ve played him on from what others have said as he was out of shot
 
No, far too many mistakes by the officials in the Championship
The ref has just given Newcastle a pen against hull.
Sorba Thomas touching the Newcastle players foot with his hand as he fell himself. It wasn’t a foul on Thomas, it wasn’t a pen for Newcastle.

Var just went ahead and agreed with the ref…

Thankfully Newcastle missed the pen
 
The officials, particularly the ref were terrible. For both sides but most of the bad decisions wouldn’t have had VAR intervention

The goal might’ve been ruled out, but it would’ve taken an age to get to the decision

Last weeks Manchester derby reinforced the need to get rid or sort var out, they’ll do neither.

More rules coming in and not been implemented properly at EFL level, the smart one of making players go off for 1 minute when the physio has been on was made into a farce today as the ref insisted Peck and Cisse go off when neither were down for long and both wanted to hobble on and continue.

That’s the problem. Officials can’t implement the rules or VAR

Yeah presumed he was off from the tv view but Shackleton might’ve played him on from what others have said as he was out of shot
I've seen further footage where Shackleton was maybe playing him on, it's very tight. One thing noticeable was our back line was all over the place.
 
I dont like VAR , I dont like games being decided by officials making mistakes.

Suppose ultimately we want the right result .
 
I've seen further footage where Shackleton was maybe playing him on, it's very tight. One thing noticeable was our back line was all over the place.
If Shackleton had been playing with his castors on he wouldn't have been so slow to move up.
 

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom