In a nutshell

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think you’re in a small minority. Most people understand what they are watching & appreciate it.
We bought him for the Premier league, and he's got us back upto it.
He is officially Premier League class.
I just don't think he has enough about his game to ever make a high end one.

The best midfielders can head, tackle, score, run games. Berge has good moments, nice runs, but he's a £20m Premier League player.
Today he played against £50-£100m ones.

Our defence is not as good as when we were promoted last time we now play a lot nicer attacking style, next season we need to tighten up tactically so doing that may make us better but at the cost of scoring goals which imo will be our problem that’s why we need midfielders to create.

In a nutshell that was a decent effort today. Could have quite easily been over after 15 minutes on another day. For 40 mins the strategy was really good and working against players three times as good. Had to ditch plan A in second half and unravelled. Thought all the players played well. Not an embarrassing score line. No players injured gave us a good day out in London doesn't happen often. Couldn't really ask for more considering the task laid in front of us.

On to Wednesday and a rousing night under the lights.

I think Baldock, Ahmedhodzic, Egan, Norrington-Davies, Berge and Ndiaye is at least a good starting point.
None of those you add are bad but I don't see many premier league clubs wanting to sign them imo. They also would have to be at a 8 or 9 of their ability to keep at that level while Berge, anel and Ndiaye could coast it a little bit!

GK: Wes is borderline good enough, Davies is no where near good enough, nor is Dewhurst nor is Amissah, therefore another GK is required, either as Wes' replacement or a better quality reserve.

LWB: Lowe isn't good enough, Stevens is out of contract & past it. RND is coming back from a long term injury and we need more creativity from both WB's, therefore a LWB is needed to be either 1st choice or reserve, replacing Stevens & Osb.

RWB: Baldock is good enough, but Bogle isn't. Sell him & replace.

LCB: I'm not sure JLT is good enough, and you could hedge the risk by having RND play there & JLT as sub, but then you'd need cover a LWB. JOC will retire.

CB: Clark is going back to Newcastle. We need cover for Egan and in an ideal world a player that can also cover RCB. Bash isn't good enough.

DCM, CM & ACM: Two of our starting midfield are on loan, and they'll be leaving, so they need replacing. Fleck is out of contract. Norwood is out of contract and 32. Osb is out of contract and not good enough. Arblaster & Coulibaly need loaning out.

CF x 2: Brewster isn't good enough & coming back from long term injury & needs a season out on loan. Jebbison needs a loan to a championship club for a season, so does Osula. Billy Sharp isn't good enough. I'm 50/50 on McB & see him more as a sub now.
Although you're pretty much right, it's hard to imagine that many signings of any sort of quality

If you had to whittle it down to 5, what would you do?

Me:

LWB
CM
CM
AM/FW
CF

Recruit decently with those 5, and that would see us competitive..... but probably still relegated

Looks to me like we’re likely to plunder the teams that are relegated this year. Not sure it’s the best option buying failures, but unless we have a successful takeover, can’t see it any other way

New GK, LCB, CB (who can play RCB as well), LWB, RWB, DCM, CM, ACM, CF & CF
I agree, that’s ideal, but if we stay in the prem, then I see that as a three/four window transfer strategy. We don’t need all that to avoid relegation. Of course, the key thing to get right is the positions we DO need.

Looks to me like we’re likely to plunder the teams that are relegated this year. Not sure it’s the best option buying failures, but unless we have a successful takeover, can’t see it any other way
It’s the team as a collective that fails, not individual players. Using an example that obviously won’t happen, wouldn’t you love James Ward Prowse to be running our midfield next season?

Although you're pretty much right, it's hard to imagine that many signings of any sort of quality

Me:

LWB
CM
CM
AM/FW
CF

Recruit decently with those 5, and that would see us competitive..... but probably still relegated

The big one for me I think is a CF of quality that is capable of scoring, and domestically those aren’t cheap. That means either a PL loanee coming in or a foreign signing.

The next important issue to address is the midfield, where I think we are 3 players/starters short. That can be fixed with Doyle, McAtee and O’Brien.

The next important issue for me is a CB/RCB. We are desperately short here. We’ve been very lucky this season with Egan & Anel neither missing games through injury or bookings.

If it’s shit or bust, I think we can muddle along at LWB with RND & Lowe.

It’s the team as a collective that fails, not individual players. Using an example that obviously won’t happen, wouldn’t you love James Ward Prowse to be running our midfield next season?
Yeah, I thought I should have clarified that after I posted. Thing is, the likes of WP won’t be the ones we’ll be plundering due to their asking price/wage demands 🙁

The big one for me I think is a CF of quality that is capable of scoring, and domestically those aren’t cheap. That means either a PL loanee coming in or a foreign signing.

The next important issue to address is the midfield, where I think we are 3 players/starters short. That can be fixed with Doyle, McAtee and O’Brien.

The next important issue for me is a CB/RCB. We are desperately short here. We’ve been very lucky this season with Egan & Anel neither missing games through injury or bookings.

LCB is a bigger priority than RCB. And Berge will be a starter every week when fit, so really we will be 2 starters short in MF but can hope for one of the City lads coming back. O’Brien would be a good shout.

Tactics, absolutely spot on.
Tight, compact and organised till we started chasing it.
Despite the above, we lost to 3 give away goals.
Max Lowe, gotta go.
Need a leader at centre half, second goal was criminal.
Need some legs in midfield, too slow to get back and cover, too slow to help the strikers
Need to find a star from the youth lads because we won't be spending big money next season.

Interesting days to come, I hope we get it right.
We have some legs in midfield trouble is the FA wouldn’t let em play

Think I'd rather risk having to play Bogle and Baldock RWB and RCB occasionally than play Lowe LWB regularly. If we go with him, or probably even RND, at LWB then without a top quality LCB, that kills the left half of our team pretty much

I think that swapping JOC, Fleck and Stevens from last time for, for example, Robinson, OBrien and Lowe/RND isn't really an option. Big drop off

I'm with those that feel major surgery is required to the squad - only Egan, Anel, Berge, Ndiaye and possibly McB and Baldock could start next season. Wes, RND, Norwood, Bogle will have to make do with being back-up.
I'm sure McAtee and / or Doyle will return.
That leaves a big clear out needed comprising Davies, Bash, Stevens, Lowe, Fleck, Osborn, Sharp, Robinson.
Jebbison, Osula, Brooks and Brewster will need loans.

I'm with those that feel major surgery is required to the squad - only Egan, Anel, Berge, Ndiaye and possibly McB and Baldock could start next season. Wes, RND, Norwood, Bogle will have to make do with being back-up.
I'm sure McAtee and / or Doyle will return.
That leaves a big clear out needed comprising Davies, Bash, Stevens, Lowe, Fleck, Osborn, Sharp, Robinson.
Jebbison, Osula, Brooks and Brewster will need loans.

I'd pretty much agree with your list of players that need to be moved on, but I would definitely retain Robinson as back up. He could step up to PL level if he stayed at the top of his game and tried to cut out the draft mistakes (tbf he has improved on this to some degree from where he was as a he as total liability once).

But the others (including our hero Billy) do need to be moved on now. They have run their races or aren't good enough anymore or never were. It's time (irrespective of which league we are in next season) to freshen things up. We need to be clever in our recruitment and not splurge on big fees. Hopefully our scouting will be better now and we will be aware of who is attainable even if they have a foreign sounding name - not doing this last time was CWs ultimate downfall at SUFC.

We are taking up a weaker squad into a stronger league, than the one we brought down from a weaker one.

I'd pretty much agree with your list of players that need to be moved on, but I would definitely retain Robinson as back up. He could step up to PL level if he stayed at the top of his game and tried to cut out the draft mistakes (tbf he has improved on this to some degree from where he was as a he as total liability once).

But the others (including our hero Billy) do need to be moved on now. They have run their races or aren't good enough anymore or never were. It's time (irrespective of which league we are in next season) to freshen things up. We need to be clever in our recruitment and not splurge on big fees. Hopefully our scouting will be better now and we will be aware of who is attainable even if they have a foreign sounding name - not doing this last time was CWs ultimate downfall at SUFC.

It's all about opinions Weasel and I'd be happy to be proved wrong in the players I feel need to be moved on.
Funnily enough, I feel Wes, Robinson (+ Lowe) are the weakest links and must be replaced and improved. We saw when Ramsdale first joined how important having a decent, in-form keeper is and what a gap JOC left at LWB. IMHO Wes and Robinson will cost the side points next season, which they can ill-afford.
Agree about needing to use the available funds wisely. Mitch & the recruitment team have had more time to identify suitable targets this time around with better scouting networks in place so I'm expecting much better than the basic targets of top-end Champ players.

It's all about opinions Weasel and I'd be happy to be proved wrong in the players I feel need to be moved on.
Funnily enough, I feel Wes, Robinson (+ Lowe) are the weakest links and must be replaced and improved. We saw when Ramsdale first joined how important having a decent, in-form keeper is and what a gap JOC left at LWB. IMHO Wes and Robinson will cost the side points next season, which they can ill-afford.
Agree about needing to use the available funds wisely. Mitch & the recruitment team have had more time to identify suitable targets this time around with better scouting networks in place so I'm expecting much better than the basic targets of top-end Champ players.

You'd hope the recruitment team will have a few up their sleeve, they've not exactly been busy the last 18 months or so!

Hopefully a few more Anel type signings and a few less Zivkovic signings this time around.

i just cant understand hecky playing fleck hes gone and has been for the last 6 months coulibally should have started fleck offered us nothing but thought our tactics were spot on till jebbos poor challenge united will have to wise up as well next season in the premier league these pampered superstars will go down at the slightest touch as many city players did today
True, and the refs buy them all day long.

Can't remember which "pundit" said it, but Man City paid £100 million for Grealish, they could buy Sheffield United for that!!!!!! There lies the problem. Top six sides are so wealthy.
Forest type rebuild required, not as many players. It will be sad, but some loyal club servants will have to go. Hecky & co are going to have to be brutal in the summer.
The ownership issue , must be sorted one way or another as soon as possible.

Me:

LWB
CM
CM
AM/FW
CF

That’s on the basis of RND at LCB and Jack as back up. If Robinson is a starter in the Prem we’re in huge trouble as he will get targeted.

Interesting point about the third goal. Well struck but Wes got his hand to it. For me. His starting position was poor and he looked too far to his right.

Correct starting position and he saves that shot
Nothing wrong with his positioning, he started right of goal because City were advancing down the left, as the cross came in Wes also got across his goal well. The disappointment was that he got a full hand onto the shot and failed to force it wide.

When recruiting we need to be careful about mentality for the relegation battle - we can't afford to carry players like Lowe who displayed the wrong attitude when he didn't bother chasing back to try and correct his mistake.

My biggest takeaway is that the current back 3 will be largely ok week in week out in the PL (assuming we get there), but that doesn't mean we don't bring in a couple of decent CBs for competition. Baldock will be fine too.

Beyond that LWB and the midfield needs a complete overhaul, although Berge showed glimpses. We also need 2 new strikers in the squad alongside Ndiaye.

Proud of all of them though. I was just frustrated with the 2nd half, as we looked scared to death.

Anyway, back to the league. UTB.
Overhaul? Hows about 2 Man City lads returning in our next game? Sure we’ll be in for both next season on loan or buying

Overhaul? Hows about 2 Man City lads returning in our next game? Sure we’ll be in for both next season on loan or buying

Norwood, Berge and maybe Coulibaly should still feature in the squad next season but we will need at least 3 new midfielders on top of that if we are going to compete.
If one of those is Doyle or McAtee then I would be happy. I have a feeling it won't be though.

Me:

LWB
CM
CM
AM/FW
CF

Just put together a quick look at where I'd try to recruit with a minimum 5 and then an ideal 8 signings.
lineup (8).pnglineup (9).png
5 Priorities:
  • Centre back: comfortable playing left or central in back 3 (like Clark but less injury prone)
  • Left wing back/centre back: Dependent on where they see RND fitting in. I think his best form has been in the back 3 so I'd get a first choice wingback and have Lowe as backup. In the other scenario you probably get a centre half comfortable playing across the back 3 (Like Goode but less injury prone) with a view to your Clark replacement being a starter and then RND/Lowe competing for the wingback spot, might be more solid but less progressive that way
  • Centre mid: Norwood replacement. Comfortable getting on the ball and playing. Ideally more of a physical presence than a Doyle
  • Attacking mid: Probably left-footed to replace McAtee. Again ideally more of a physical presence and comfortable being the most advanced of a midfield 3 or forming part of a front 2 in the same way Gibbs-White did towards the end of last season
  • Right forward: Ideally a pacey, left-footed attacker to play on the right of a front 3 and more physically robust than a Khadra so they could play as part of a front 2. Thinking along the lines of an Mbeumo/Cornet style forward
3 other areas:
  • Keeper: I think Wes is probably just about good enough but I'd be uncomfortable with Davies as second choice so I'd be on the lookout for an upgrade there as either first or second choice
  • Left-sided centre-mid: Probably a priority to be honest. I doubt we renew Fleck and as useful as Osborn is I don't think he's good enough to be a backup in the premier league. Seen O'Brien mentioned before, someone in that mould would be great
  • Striker: I think strikers are expensive and generally less important than what goes on behind them so we could probably scrape by with McBurnie/Brewster/Sharp as our out and out strikers while being able to use Ndiaye up top and the newly signed RF & AM as part of a front two as well. But ideally I think we'd get in a striker to compete with McBurnie, someone capable of being a proper outball for us and then have Brewster/Sharp as third choice depending on whether you'd loan Brewster out to get minutes

Renewals:
  • Foderingham: Think he's shown himself to be a solid keeper and capable as first choice/backup
  • Robinson: Done well this year, would worry about him if he was first choice but as a backup he's solid enough and seems like he's a good figure in the dressing room
  • Norwood: Leadership and experience. Still think he'd be fine in a lot of games at premier league level so long as we don't rely on him and have legs around him if he does play
  • Osborn?: Really useful player but don't think he's good enough to step up a level. Wouldn't hate to see him stick around as a utility option but doubt he'd be ok with that, probably wants regular minutes at this stage
  • Sharp?: Would hate to see him play for another side, think he's still fit enough and clever enough to be a reliable third choice. Depends what he wants
Note: Look for loans for the youngsters (Jebbison, Arblaster, Osula, Brooks etc.). Think it's important to see if they can get regular minutes at championship level

Back
Top Bottom