in 5 years time

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

davidpinder

Reaction score
Predictions please. Where do you think we will be?? quite interested to know what people of thinking at the moment.
Eg answers
Still in league 1 mid table Carlisle style.
Back in the championship holding our own ready to give the playoffs a crack
Back in the Prem
Relegated and in league 2 in the shit and seriously worried about admin.
In admin wanting a buyer quick
etc etc etc

Treading water in the Championship, with the occasional push for play offs.

Treading water in League 1, with the occasional push for the play offs.

Premier League always in the champs/europa leagues. :)

Hasnt happened in the last 5 years so it must be coming in the next. Our chairman said so

Very difficult to answer:
If, five years ago you would have said
Swansea, Wigan, QPR, Reading, Norwich, Southampton were all in the Premier League - West Brom were fourth from top and Brendan Rodgers Manager of Liverpool you would be accused of talking out of your arse!
Also five years ago if you would have said the Blades were in League One selling/ releasing the likes of Quinn, Montgomery, Lowton,Williamson, etc and signing players like Flynn, Williams, McMahon, Porter, McAllister, Doyle etc and unable to sign cover for an 18 year old rookie keeper due to costs you would again been accused of talking out of your arse!
Depends upon McCabe - he brought us here and doesn't appear to either have the wherewithal, nous or ability to change the trend!

Very difficult to answer:
If, five years ago you would have said
Swansea, Wigan, QPR, Reading, Norwich, Southampton were all in the Premier League - West Brom were fourth from top and Brendan Rodgers Manager of Liverpool you would be accused of talking out of your arse!
Also five years ago if you would have said the Blades were in League One selling/ releasing the likes of Quinn, Montgomery, Lowton,Williamson, etc and signing players like Flynn, Williams, McMahon, Porter, McAllister, Doyle etc and unable to sign cover for an 18 year old rookie keeper due to costs you would again been accused of talking out of your arse!
Depends upon McCabe - he brought us here and doesn't appear to either have the wherewithal, nous or ability to change the trend!
and your answer therefore is??? safe or talking out your arse??

If McCabe stays, the only way is down. I don't think we'll drop down to League 2 unless Danny continues his non-blooding of youngsters and persists with a pace-less side, but we're in for a long stay in 1 unless things change.

Treading water in the conference ;)

This league is so poor I'd like to think we'll get out of it in the next 5 years, so my prediction is we'll turn into Barnsley !! an average to lower table team in the Championship..........

Treading water in the Championship, with the occasional push for play offs.
Without bothering with validating the facts and figures to back this up I suspect we'll be where we've been on average my whole life. Treading water in the second tier.

Off the top of my head in my lifetime (since '74) we've had:
  • 7 seasons in the top division
  • 7 seasons in the third division or below
  • The rest in the second tier
We've been on the verge of going broke twice - pre Brearly and pre McCabe, but have rarely had more than 2 ha'pennies to rub together.
As a glass half full bloke I'd look at us being unlikely to be anywhere other than in the second tier. I'm cheerfully avoiding taking a look at the pattern of our financial prospects - if I looked too long I'd say there's a good chance we'll have had a third round of nearly going broke.
Taking other constants into account, we'll have a hardcore of drinkers, a hardcore of moaners and a softcore of others who take in the odd game following us.

I suspect we will be a mid table championship team, and can see that being the case for a long time.

The financial gap between us and other teams at the bottom of the premiership, and those fighting for promotion at the top of the championship is so great now, and growing each year.

Teams which are relegated from the premiership, will be so strong, and with massive parachute payments will have stronger resources, bigger squads etc. Not to mention well established big clubs, with big owners in the hunt for promotion from the championship.

HH

I suspect we will be a mid table championship team, and can see that being the case for a long time.

The financial gap between us and other teams at the bottom of the premiership, and those fighting for promotion at the top of the championship is so great now, and growing each year.

Teams which are relegated from the premiership, will be so strong, and with massive parachute payments will have stronger resources, bigger squads etc. Not to mention well established big clubs, with big owners in the hunt for promotion from the championship.

HH

Suppose you mean Brighton, Blackpool, Crystal Palace and Millwall

We are where we are because of Gross Mismanagement - nothing more nothing less!
We ought to be able to compete with sides like Norwich, Reading, Stoke, West Brom, Wigan, but we are struggling to compete with MK Dons, Brentford, Tranmere, Swindon, Doncaster, Crawley etc

I'd like to think we will be in the Championship - but I don't think we will be any higher than that. There doesn't seem to be any real glimmer of a true momentum in the club to emulate the achievements of Norwich or Southampton. We might be where Leeds are, for example, but struggling to retain anything of higher quality in the playing staff to challenge further up. We could well be in exactly the same position as our porky cousins - if we don't have the funds to strengthen significantly - because the current squad is nothing like a Championship contender.

There are two factors at play here for me. If we fail to get promotion this season then I believe we will struggle to get up into the Championship for several years to come. It will get progressively harder to drag our way out of the third division. We may still have a good production line from the academy lads to push into the first team but we will end up being just another version of Crewe in that we will be a feeder club, bringing up new talent and selling it on because we are never quite successful enough to keep any one long term (some might argue we are that already).

The second factor is the general economic climate for all football clubs and fans. I can see things getting tighter and therefore getting worse. Many clubs are still paying well above what they can actually sustain in wages so there may well be an increase in clubs going the route of Portsmouth and failing dismally. This means that other teams will be falling from grace and ending up in the shit hole of league 1 (like Coventry) with little prospect of mounting a strong promotion push without the backing of a rich benefactor. That may make the likelihood of promotion for us greater as other clubs around us struggle to cope and have to go through a long transition as they adjust to their new equilibrium (which we may have already achieved by then) However, I can also see crowds falling more as people weigh up the £30-40 they shell out per person each week/every other week with more priority commitments, like the fundamentals of energy bills and food for their families. If this happens then SUFC will have lower crowds to draw upon and subsequently fewer resources to call upon - making the task even harder. It will be harder for us than other smaller clubs, despite our proportionally larger attendances, because our overheads are greater than those of many of our rivals at this level. Sustaining the annual costs of running BDTBL and the Shirecliffe academy will be critical to us as a club but also puts pressure on what we can afford in wages on the players.

Missing out on promotion last term was bad - missing out this season will be even worse.

I'd like to think we will be in the Championship - but I don't think we will be any higher than that. There doesn't seem to be any real glimmer of a true momentum in the club to emulate the achievements of Norwich or Southampton. We might be where Leeds are, for example, but struggling to retain anything of higher quality in the playing staff to challenge further up. We could well be in exactly the same position as our porky cousins - if we don't have the funds to strengthen significantly - because the current squad is nothing like a Championship contender.

There are two factors at play here for me. If we fail to get promotion this season then I believe we will struggle to get up into the Championship for several years to come. It will get progressively harder to drag our way out of the third division. We may still have a good production line from the academy lads to push into the first team but we will end up being just another version of Crewe in that we will be a feeder club, bringing up new talent and selling it on because we are never quite successful enough to keep any one long term (some might argue we are that already).

The second factor is the general economic climate for all football clubs and fans. I can see things getting tighter and therefore getting worse. Many clubs are still paying well above what they can actually sustain in wages so there may well be an increase in clubs going the route of Portsmouth and failing dismally. This means that other teams will be falling from grace and ending up in the shit hole of league 1 (like Coventry) with little prospect of mounting a strong promotion push without the backing of a rich benefactor. That may make the likelihood of promotion for us greater as other clubs around us struggle to cope and have to go through a long transition as they adjust to their new equilibrium (which we may have already achieved by then) However, I can also see crowds falling more as people weigh up the £30-40 they shell out per person each week/every other week with more priority commitments, like the fundamentals of energy bills and food for their families. If this happens then SUFC will have lower crowds to draw upon and subsequently fewer resources to call upon - making the task even harder. It will be harder for us than other smaller clubs, despite our proportionally larger attendances, because our overheads are greater than those of many of our rivals at this level. Sustaining the annual costs of running BDTBL and the Shirecliffe academy will be critical to us as a club but also puts pressure on what we can afford in wages on the players.

Missing out on promotion last term was bad - missing out this season will be even worse.

what he said :)

Championship. I wouldn't really want to see us any higher anyway. I despise the PL and I reckon it'll have major problems in the next five years.

Championship. I wouldn't really want to see us any higher anyway. I despise the PL and I reckon it'll have major problems in the next five years.
With you on this one Swiss!
If the way that Chelsea conducts it's business and supporters of Liverpool, Man Ure, West Ham Tottenham and Arsenal are so much up their own arses then count me out!

With you on this one Swiss!
If the way that Chelsea conducts it's business and supporters of Liverpool, Man Ure, West Ham Tottenham and Arsenal are so much up their own arses then count me out!

Exactly, no ethics and they are actually doing their best to ruin a good product.

Will enough people turn off? I doubt it. But i'd rather not be a part of it.

Exactly, no ethics and they are actually doing their best to ruin a good product. Will enough people turn off? I doubt it. But i'd rather not be a part of it.

Nobody will turn off because football at the highest level is now a global TV spectator sport not actually designed for those that go to the games. Think on who pays the wedge and what medium they use to deliver their product. That's why they don't really care about the people going creating any kind of atmosphere - the paying public at the match no longer pays the players wages - it's only a small contribution towards, if that.

For the most popular teams the glory hunters cannot get season tickets, even if they wanted them, as there simply isn't enough supply for demand. So they follow the success of their chosen team vicariously on the oggle box and proclaim that they were part of it. Success by association football, if you like.

For people like us, born into it - we have no choice. That's why the likes of me, you and Fiery Blade turn our noses up at the Premier League and all it's inequalities, pumped up self importance and deceit. We loathe it and are jealous of it at the same time. The reason why? We actually know we will never be part of it, ever. We have no hope of achieving the heights required and our defiance is based on this knowledge.

Over the next 5 yeas we will be yo-yoing between league 1 and the championship

13/14 League 1
14/15 Championship
15/16 League 1
16/17 Championship
17/18 League 1

In 5 years time
We could be walking round a zoo
With the sun shining down over me and you

We will be in Europe. Granted, we may have to invade rather than progress through Premier League qualification, but at the moment I'd settle for invading France. Hell, I'd settle for invading Luxembourg right now.

That must make me a clapper, or someone who knows where to buy cheap tanks.

It's the latter, by the way.

Treading water in the conference ;)

This league is so poor I'd like to think we'll get out of it in the next 5 years, so my prediction is we'll turn into Barnsley !! an average to lower table team in the Championship..........

If only. On Saturday, Barnsley only got 8,227 against top team Cardiff. However, they were able to field Jacob Mellis, Jonathan Greening and Akos Buzsaky.

Don't tell me. It's all the fault of FFP...

If only. On Saturday, Barnsley only got 8,227 against top team Cardiff. However, they were able to field Jacob Mellis, Jonathan Greening and Akos Buzsaky.

Don't tell me. It's all the fault of FFP...
Still got beat even with those players, just goes to prove you can't polish a turd, and only just above the vile, mid champs,with long harry fadz,and that under 18 striker all in our team,vile in league below us.

If McCabe stays, the only way is down. I don't think we'll drop down to League 2 unless Danny continues his non-blooding of youngsters and persists with a pace-less side, but we're in for a long stay in 1 unless things change.
that means were fubar`d then.
the blokes going nowhere,he`ll be carried out of bramall lane in a pine box.

Back
Top Bottom