If we don't go up this season what will happen ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I appreciate the question is posed to Bladezz, but....

Yes. I think if at the end of the season if we don't go up and he's not been backed/he knows he won't be backed in the STW, he could quite conceivably just quit. I suspect he'd be disillusioned with the whole thing & the spectre of HRH taking control would cast a shadow. If he did this, i doubt he'd be unemployed for too long, as it would force a few clubs' hands.

I think that when the dust settles at the end of the season, a few more ambitious championship clubs still benefiting from parachute payments may choose to freshen things up and give CW a call. Those clubs could be ones who've failed to get promoted from champ and ones relegated from prem.

Depending on league position, i think that Leeds, Derby, Boro, Forest, Stoke, WBA and both Burnley & Huddersfield if they go down. I don't think that he'd get a gig straight away in the prem, it would be too much of a jump. He needs to take a team there, and prove himself at that level.
I enjoyed that post Nicolaus_Copernicus It made me realise I hadn't thought through the "Big Prinz wins the Court Case" scenario. I'm jaundiced, but The Big Prinz would seem to have the sort of profile where he would want to appoint "someone they've heard of in Riyadh". We'd be a Train Set Club to him. Played with for a few years, all the fun gone, left to rot in the attic.

Some of this Wilder Will Walk paranoia has really taken hold hasn't it?. Firstly, Wilder does not fit the profile of many Premier League clubs. They are looking to appoint "name coaches". The foreign ones. The ones who have won trophies overseas. The column inches coaches. That's why the same ever decreasing list of names pops up when there is a vacancy. The Premier League Millions means that owners will not take chances on managerial appointments. Some odd, lippy bloke from a place apparently called Sheffield will be well off their radar. They're sat at home, thousands of miles from Sheffield. The TV is full of games from Spain, Italy, France & Germany. They've heard of Lampard, Gerrard, Campbell, Terry. Appointing them gives them a hard on. Wilder? Who?

Wilder will be a brave man to just Walk from The Lane without another job lined up. To sit on his arse. With Homes Under The Hammer on. And the Blue Bin to put out. Hoping that West Ham will give him a ring. He walks from us. He's taking a chance. After a few months of flounce, maybe Bradford City will come calling. He'll have time to hone the speech "I know money is tight, but this is a new challenge for me..." Ditto, Sunderland.

If he leaves. He leaves. He wasn't putting the cones out when I was first a Blade. He won't be mugging in front of a Radio Sheffield Microphone when I take my last breath as a Blade. Hired Hands. I like the bloke. He's got the team playing great stuff. Thoroughly enjoyable. But, vast swathes of Social Media Blades seem to think he's one heartbeat from moving elsewhere. No he isn't....

Fair points made but you have focussed too heavily on PL clubs. High spending Championship club are highly likely to take a punt on him in my opinion should they not go up this year. Lampard looks like he is using Derby as a stepping stone and the PL will be falling over themselves to give him a job if Derby don't make it. Then you have the likes of Forest, West Brom and Stoke, unlikely all three of them are going up and maybe one or two will fizzle out as the season progresses. All of them blow us out of the water in terms of spending and it's plainly obvious that they could make a very tempting offer.

I enjoyed that post Nicolaus_Copernicus It made me realise I hadn't thought through the "Big Prinz wins the Court Case" scenario. I'm jaundiced, but The Big Prinz would seem to have the sort of profile where he would want to appoint "someone they've heard of in Riyadh". We'd be a Train Set Club to him. Played with for a few years, all the fun gone, left to rot in the attic.

My pleasure Ball_Sup (Phil) :) I was thinking last night whilst watching Fulham v West Ham, that if Fulham went down and FL's Derby didn't go up and neither did Villa, I could see a FL/JT double act at the cottage next season.

Fair points made but you have focussed too heavily on PL clubs. High spending Championship club are highly likely to take a punt on him in my opinion should they not go up this year. Lampard looks like he is using Derby as a stepping stone and the PL will be falling over themselves to give him a job if Derby don't make it. Then you have the likes of Forest, West Brom and Stoke, unlikely all three of them are going up and maybe one or two will fizzle out as the season progresses. All of them blow us out of the water in terms of spending and it's plainly obvious that they could make a very tempting offer.
I'm very open to all responses Stretch . Because I want to understand where people are coming from. The inequalities in football finances mean (my opinion) that Clubs with very large transfer budgets are either a) in the Premiership b) recently been up & down to the Premiership with parachute payments or c) are foreign owners playthings.
Wilder does not have the profile, gravitas, back catalogue, column inches that those sort of clubs need.
"FFS, we're in the Premiership & we're getting this bloke who used to manage Northampton"
"FFS, we've just come down, we need to show ambition, & we're getting this bloke who was at Oxford"
"How is your new Soccer Team doing your Highness? Your manager is who? You're kidding me right? So funny....."

Some of this Wilder Will Walk paranoia has really taken hold hasn't it?. Firstly, Wilder does not fit the profile of many Premier League clubs. They are looking to appoint "name coaches". The foreign ones. The ones who have won trophies overseas. The column inches coaches. That's why the same ever decreasing list of names pops up when there is a vacancy. The Premier League Millions means that owners will not take chances on managerial appointments. Some odd, lippy bloke from a place apparently called Sheffield will be well off their radar. They're sat at home, thousands of miles from Sheffield. The TV is full of games from Spain, Italy, France & Germany. They've heard of Lampard, Gerrard, Campbell, Terry. Appointing them gives them a hard on. Wilder? Who?

Wilder will be a brave man to just Walk from The Lane without another job lined up. To sit on his arse. With Homes Under The Hammer on. And the Blue Bin to put out. Hoping that West Ham will give him a ring. He walks from us. He's taking a chance. After a few months of flounce, maybe Bradford City will come calling. He'll have time to hone the speech "I know money is tight, but this is a new challenge for me..." Ditto, Sunderland.

If he leaves. He leaves. He wasn't putting the cones out when I was first a Blade. He won't be mugging in front of a Radio Sheffield Microphone when I take my last breath as a Blade. Hired Hands. I like the bloke. He's got the team playing great stuff. Thoroughly enjoyable. But, vast swathes of Social Media Blades seem to think he's one heartbeat from moving elsewhere. No he isn't....
Well said, Ball_Sup (Phil)!

Someone will invent a snide and slightly humorous nickname for wilder ,which a small group will immediately employ when referring to him

If a decent offer comes in for him or any of the players they will leave because I'm afraid no one with any ambition has ever achieved anything at Sheffield United

Wilder and Knill will managing one of the parachute payment clubs.

Whoever has lost the ownership court case will have launched an appeal.

Paul Warne will be our manager.

Will Wilder stop another season , will some fans want him to stop another season ?
With Billy , Duffy , Leon , and a few others in there 30s will they do another season ?
I suppose you could have a thread with , if we do go up this season what will happen , but me been the forever pessimist I've gone with the negative one :( , I do think it's shit or bust this season in many ways through out the team and the club .

The “Shit or bust” is normally used in the FINANCIAL sense and
Fortunately we’ve been run quite well and are financially sound.
So (unlike a few other teams) we’ll actually be fine even if we fail to gain promotion.

Agree though that over 2 or 3 years the manager will need to do some major rebuilding.
Also regards Wilder he’s in his early 50’s and has hardly any experience in the top 2 divisions.
Seriously can’t see a bigger club than us wanting him.

The other way around, if we do get up I fear we go straight down again with our current squad. We need to go up with a stronger and younger group of players. Seen so many go up, panic buy, usually from the relegated PL teams, then loose most games in the PL and loosing all momentum.. Keeping our best and add a couple of starters a season and we might be prepared. Meanwhile enjoy the moment, we are heavily overachieving playwise and pointwise, and we'll win again.

Last season was our 'best opportunity' and many predicted we'd struggle this season.

This season is still a good opportunity, but to suggest every season that if we don't achieve great things then the following season will be a horrendous affair just about sums things up on here.

Just take a step back, handle your Bladey bipolar disorder and you'll see that we'll probably settle somewhere between the worst and best case scenario. We probably won't be complete shit, and we probably won't be brilliant. We'll be adequate, which is basically what we've averaged at for the past 80 years.

Not sure of the basis for the comment that Wilder will probably 'do a Warnock' as he's a completely different character and manager to Warnock. There's nothing to suggest he'd fail as he's done well at all levels so far.

Warnocks not a failure. If Wilder matches his achievements over the next 10-15 years he will have done well.

For what its worth, I think Wilder would walk. The reason being that he can afford to. In the old days anyone of note in football had to get their options lined up before they spat their dummy out, they still had mouths to feed. Now its not the case.

We will still be playing championship football next season, maybe not the following one, but definitely next season.

Someone will invent a snide and slightly humorous nickname for wilder ,which a small group will immediately employ when referring to him

If a decent offer comes in for him or any of the players they will leave because I'm afraid no one with any ambition has ever achieved anything at Sheffield United
Oh. FFS. I'm already working on a series of snide & slightly humourous "Wilder's Walks" for the excellent Steve Mackan Dem Blades Fanzine. Have you seen (separate Thread) they've just announced a Subscription Service?
Wilder would quit The Blades and each Fanzine edition he would go on surreal, satirical, parody walks from The Lane, encountering various unlikely scenarios along the way & meeting some completely fictitious characters who carry precious paper "objects" in Carrier Bags. The pay off would be - he realises he's done the wrong thing, made himself look ridic & has to beg these fictitious beings to be let back into his Dream Job.

(NB - storyboard pitch needs work)

Last season was our 'best opportunity' and many predicted we'd struggle this season.

This season is still a good opportunity, but to suggest every season that if we don't achieve great things then the following season will be a horrendous affair just about sums things up on here.

Just take a step back, handle your Bladey bipolar disorder and you'll see that we'll probably settle somewhere between the worst and best case scenario. We probably won't be complete shit, and we probably won't be brilliant. We'll be adequate, which is basically what we've averaged at for the past 80 years.

Senescence. Fact. :)

I'm very open to all responses Stretch . Because I want to understand where people are coming from. The inequalities in football finances mean (my opinion) that Clubs with very large transfer budgets are either a) in the Premiership b) recently been up & down to the Premiership with parachute payments or c) are foreign owners playthings.
Wilder does not have the profile, gravitas, back catalogue, column inches that those sort of clubs need.
"FFS, we're in the Premiership & we're getting this bloke who used to manage Northampton"
"FFS, we've just come down, we need to show ambition, & we're getting this bloke who was at Oxford"
"How is your new Soccer Team doing your Highness? Your manager is who? You're kidding me right? So funny....."

He may not have the profile at this moment Phil but that could change very soon, partly because our 'brand' [if that is the right word] of football is being waxed lyrical about up and down the EFL, from pundits to supporters of other teams. Even the PL pundits started to take notice last season [Jeff Stelling and co on Soccer Saturday for instance] but I accept that this doesn't necessarily mean that owners will be of the same mind.

Then I look at someone like Gary Rowett or Dean Smith, who haven't got anything like the records that Wilder has but got the Stoke and Villa jobs. In Smith's case is that simply because he is a Villa supporter or more likely because he got his previous teams playing attractive football? He may also have been seen as the perfect antidote to a high spending, old fashioned clogger like Bruce, which is why I think Wilder would be an attractive option.

A lot may depend on where we finish this season. If we fade away into mid table again then the offers aren't likely to come flying in but if we get into or anywhere near the playoffs I could see one of the clubs I mentioned in my last post having a sniff. Just my opinion though of course.

I think which way it goes depends on those two twit chairman sorting themselves out - but I wouldnt be surprised if the litigation drags on beyond the summer.

If that does happen, it wont be too long before CW gets a offer from a club with ambition and goes.

He may not have the profile at this moment Phil but that could change very soon, partly because our 'brand' [if that is the right word] of football is being waxed lyrical about up and down the EFL, from pundits to supporters of other teams. Even the PL pundits started to take notice last season [Jeff Stelling and co on Soccer Saturday for instance] but I accept that this doesn't necessarily mean that owners will be of the same mind.

Then I look at someone like Gary Rowett or Dean Smith, who haven't got anything like the records that Wilder has but got the Stoke and Villa jobs. In Smith's case is that simply because he is a Villa supporter or more likely because he got his previous teams playing attractive football? He may also have been seen as the perfect antidote to a high spending, old fashioned clogger like Bruce, which is why I think Wilder would be an attractive option.

A lot may depend on where we finish this season. If we fade away into mid table again then the offers aren't likely to come flying in but if we get into or anywhere near the playoffs I could see one of the clubs I mentioned in my last post having a sniff. Just my opinion though of course.
Stretch Thanks. Dean Smith is the one example that gnaws away at me. I heard he's a Villa fan. Putting that to one side, it's "a brave" choice for a club like Villa (which I naturally applaud). But, I still feel - the pool of clubs who DON'T need a name, profile, column inches, track record sort of manager they already know in Riyadh, Bangkok, Doha, Dubai, New York is very small & getting smaller. Wilder will know that & he'll have to take that into account if he's thinking of mincing off any time soon.

The “Shit or bust” is normally used in the FINANCIAL sense and
Fortunately we’ve been run quite well and are financially sound.
So (unlike a few other teams) we’ll actually be fine even if we fail to gain promotion.

Agree though that over 2 or 3 years the manager will need to do some major rebuilding.
Also regards Wilder he’s in his early 50’s and has hardly any experience in the top 2 divisions.
Seriously can’t see a bigger club than us wanting him.
In what way are we financially sound? If we hadn’t received the sell on money for Maguire and Walker we’d have lost £10m last season. This season will be covered by the Brooks money. Next season we may be able to sell JOC and Fleck. Then what? Does either owner think we can sell around £10m of players every season? If not, which one is prepared to put his hand in his pocket every season?

If we dont go up this season we will still be above the shithouses from s6. We will have roughly the same team as now because they are bargain basement players who, according to some fans and our manger aren,t good enough, so who the fuck would want to buy them ?

Sadly, I fear we've reached our limit and will shortly be heading back down the table.

Wilder has done exceptionally. So well that he has made a rod for his own back in that success is now expected despite the squad now performing to their average ability as opposed to their absolute maximum as they were doing prior.

Well done Wilder, and with the current situation at the club I really wouldn't blame him if he wished to manage elsewhere.

If we dont go up this season we will still be above the shithouses from s6. We will have roughly the same team as now because they are bargain basement players who, according to some fans and our manger aren,t good enough, so who the fuck would want to buy them ?

The whole team is worth about £12m. That's £5m for JOC and the rest split between the others. So yeah, unless someone comes through or we get a handy sell-on for Brooks then the kitty will be empty for further development of the team and the players of any worth will be sold unless the owners provide some funds. We'll be above a few teams in addition to the pigs but not for long.

Sadly, I fear we've reached our limit and will shortly be heading back down the table.

Wilder has done exceptionally. So well that he has made a rod for his own back in that success is now expected despite the squad now performing to their average ability as opposed to their absolute maximum as they were doing prior.

Well done Wilder, and with the current situation at the club I really wouldn't blame him if he wished to manage elsewhere.
I don't think we will go down the table really, 1 reason being that nobody can really put a run together this season. Another reason, which I think has been mentioned before, we are quite good at beating the 'worst' teams and therefore will accumulate enough points to stay in and around the top six. Then if we get the couple top loans that CW wants in Jan, maybe we can then start beating those around us. On that note as well, I do believe that CW will only bring in players that he knows will be playing and make a difference. I'm quite confident going into January.

I don't think we will go down the table really, 1 reason being that nobody can really put a run together this season. Another reason, which I think has been mentioned before, we are quite good at beating the 'worst' teams and therefore will accumulate enough points to stay in and around the top six. Then if we get the couple top loans that CW wants in Jan, maybe we can then start beating those around us. On that note as well, I do believe that CW will only bring in players that he knows will be playing and make a difference. I'm quite confident going into January.

If we are not careful, we'll be back in L1 within 4 years.

If we are not careful, we'll be back in L1 within 4 years.

Looking at the squad, the keeper is a loanee. The defence consists of Wright (32), Cranie (32), Stearman (31) and Basham (30). JOC must have come close to leaving in the summer, and doesn't want to spend anymore time than he needs to in the Champ. Egan will attract interest. I'm not 100% that our signing of Kean Bryan isn't an elaborate piece of performance art.

The midfield consists of Duffy (33), Coutts (30 & might not hit the heights again), Johnson is on loan, Woodburn is on loan and Fleck & Norwood will attract interest.

Upfront we've got Clarke (33), Sharp (32) and McG (31), not forgetting Washington who has scored 13 goals in 103 championship games. His last 3 goals at this level were scored in February 18, January 18 and October 17.

The two owners are at loggerheads, the accounts show that we run at a £10m seasonal deficit, a level of loss even though we supposedly run on a bottom 6 budget and we're currently down 2.5k fans every home game and it's not an exaggeration to say that we need to replace nigh on 10 players with quality alternatives over the next 3 yrs, at a time when that would cost circa £5m a player, so that's a minimum £50m outlay plus add ons, £20m a season for arguments sake on top of the £10m we currently lose.

Or we try and squeeze the pips out of the twilight years of the players named above, sell the family silver over the course of the next three seasons, CW gets fed up, we bring in sub standard replacements on & off the pitch and we embark on a similar journey we made in the mid 70's, mid to late 80's, late 90's, and mid 00's.

WE’LL NEVER HAVE A BETTER CHANCE THAN THIS YEAR.

Back
Top Bottom