Player Suggestion Hugo Larsson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

forte

Reaction score
Had a great debut season for Malmö FF last year, impressing in many of his 27 appearances in the league at only 17. Won the Young Player of the Year award, in stiff competition with Yasin Atari (now Brighton - see attached spider). Larsson’s performances led to concrete interest from bigger clubs in bigger leagues, but he turned down offer in order to continue his development by playing regularly. In the beginning of this season, he has started as he finished 2022. Very interesting player to follow.

I really like his physicality and athleticism. He is 1.87, but have speed and vision which allows him him to move the play forward, find spaces between the lines and set up his team mates using his great passing. His pace, stamina and movement can be deployed further down in the pitch, as a number 8 (box-to-box), but he is also comfortable as a number 6 and 10. I am also impressed by his decision-making and technique, which allows him to play in tight spaces which is quite rare for players that age. He is tall, but need to build more muscle although he never seem to struggle with the physical play.

So far only 1.5 years of senior football playing regularly, but for sure a player worth keeping and eye out for. Give it a year or two and he will be a starter for Sweden. Realistic for us? I think so. Look at Anel, another Swede and ex team mate who's career have taken off since signing for us. I am confident he would be able to pitch Sheffield United as the best step for his future development. Price? Id estimate 7-9m GBP.

Attachments

• FhEUE_-XoAUZCnw.jpeg
    FhEUE_-XoAUZCnw.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 4

Had a great debut season for Malmö FF last year, impressing in many of his 27 appearances in the league at only 17. Won the Young Player of the Year award, in stiff competition with Yasin Atari (now Brighton - see attached spider). Larsson’s performances led to concrete interest from bigger clubs in bigger leagues, but he turned down offer in order to continue his development by playing regularly. In the beginning of this season, he has started as he finished 2022. Very interesting player to follow.

I really like his physicality and athleticism. He is 1.87, but have speed and vision which allows him him to move the play forward, find spaces between the lines and set up his team mates using his great passing. His pace, stamina and movement can be deployed further down in the pitch, as a number 8 (box-to-box), but he is also comfortable as a number 6 and 10. I am also impressed by his decision-making and technique, which allows him to play in tight spaces which is quite rare for players that age. He is tall, but need to build more muscle although he never seem to struggle with the physical play.

So far only 1.5 years of senior football playing regularly, but for sure a player worth keeping and eye out for. Give it a year or two and he will be a starter for Sweden. Realistic for us? I think so. Look at Anel, another Swede and ex team mate who's career have taken off since signing for us. I am confident he would be able to pitch Sheffield United as the best step for his future development. Price? Id estimate 7-9m GBP.
This is the type of player we should be targeting

Bournemouth has an offer accepted for 12 million euro in January.

Bournemouth has an offer accepted for 12 million euro in January.
That was media speculation though (in terms of the fee, its correct that they had a deal agreed with Malmö but Larsson turned it down). But it was nowhere near 12m GBP. To benchmark, Ayari went to Brighton for 3.8m GBP + add-ons. They are comparable. I've heard from reliable sources that Bournemouth was willing to offer 5.5m GBP upfront for Larsson plus add-ons.

But, if your point was that this will be an expensive player considering his age - you are right. In any case, it will be a substantial investment for us, but looking at how other newly promoted clubs have spent their money on the transfer market the last few seasons, the fee for Larsson would not be extraordinary in any way.

That was media speculation though (in terms of the fee, its correct that they had a deal agreed with Malmö but Larsson turned it down). But it was nowhere near 12m GBP. To benchmark, Ayari went to Brighton for 3.8m GBP + add-ons. They are comparable. I've heard from reliable sources that Bournemouth was willing to offer 5.5m GBP upfront for Larsson plus add-ons.

But, if your point was that this will be an expensive player considering his age - you are right. In any case, it will be a substantial investment for us, but looking at how other newly promoted clubs have spent their money on the transfer market the last few seasons, the fee for Larsson would not be extraordinary in any way.
Don't get me wrong. We desperately need midfielders and he seems to have all the attributes that would benefit the team.

If he'd cost £5 million then I'd say it's worth having a serious look at him. If it's in double figures then no

Don't get me wrong. We desperately need midfielders and he seems to have all the attributes that would benefit the team.

If he'd cost £5 million then I'd say it's worth having a serious look at him. If it's in double figures then no
It would be an interesting situation if we signed someone like him. Should it be seen as a new approach towards player recruitment in a more progressive way than previously? Buying players based on their potential. In my opinion the transfer strategy needs to reflect the direction of the club.

We should aim at building a squad with three layers:

• a few experienced players (age 30+, leaders on and off the pitch), ensuring we produce stable performances over a longer period of time and pushing the youngsters in training, leading by example etc. I dont think anyone can underestimate the role players like Billy Sharp have on the young lads in terms of showing up every day, pure professionals.
  • mid layer: players who are proven at a high level, maybe between 22-29 and will be the core of the squad. At their peak of their careers, or on their way there.
  • young players (18-21) with potential that can either develop into key players for us over a period of time, or be sold to bigger clubs for good money, allowing us to re-invest in a younger players who in short-term will be on on the verge of the first team or sent on loan but long-term future first team regulars.

It would be an interesting situation if we signed someone like him. Should it be seen as a new approach towards player recruitment in a more progressive way than previously? Buying players based on their potential. In my opinion the transfer strategy needs to reflect the direction of the club.

• a few experienced players (age 30+, leaders on and off the pitch), ensuring we produce stable performances over a longer period of time and pushing the youngsters in training, leading by example etc. I dont think anyone can underestimate the role players like Billy Sharp have on the young lads in terms of showing up every day, pure professionals.
  • mid layer: players who are proven at a high level, maybe between 22-29 and will be the core of the squad. At their peak of their careers, or on their way there.
  • young players (18-21) with potential that can either develop into key players for us over a period of time, or be sold to bigger clubs for good money, allowing us to re-invest in a younger players who in short-term will be on on the verge of the first team or sent on loan but long-term future first team regulars.
If we have no money, I think the sensible option would be to offer almost all the players another year, loan a few but spend most of the money on signing prospects for the future.

We're almost definite to get relegated in that case.

May as well plan for the long-term and the season after in the Championship.

By then, hopefully some of the youngsters will be ready to play at that level (jebbo, Osula, Boyes, Arblaster, Neal) and we can then mix those into the group.

Are we not going to invest in the squad despite all the money coming in? I cant seem to get a decent overview of the boardroom situation.

Good shout! Exactly type of player should be targeting. Will put a video of him Into future prospects thread shortly 🙂

Agreed the older heads should be bash, Norwood and Billy it's not beyond a hope to bring in someone like milner (in a player-coach role) with premier experience
Apologies for sounding ruthless but all the rest out of contract need to be told well done for all you have done but the squad needs to move on
We need 25 squad player's with 2 in each position with a hard core of 20 experienced players either premier, championship or equivalent foreign leagues and our good young prospects
It would be interesting to see people's thoughts on the squad for next season
It's all academic until hecky knows what the budget is

Keen to see more of Sachdev. Getting a look in for a cup game or maybe a loan maybe? Anyone else in the academy worth keeping an eye on?

Looks a great player but feels like one that’ll go to a top club still worth chancing our arm

Also got the problem of whether Malmo will be excited to accept another bid from us in a hurry based on us 'forgetting' to pay them for Anel lol.
Yeah but money talks I guess if we paid a decent whack upfront our money is as good as anyone else’s. Given his profile though you’d imagine his agent will be telling him he can get him a move to a top European club.

Yeah but money talks I guess if we paid a decent whack upfront our money is as good as anyone else’s. Given his profile though you’d imagine his agent will be telling him he can get him a move to a top European club.
We need investment in a top scouting team there has to be hidden gems out there we can make bids for
Might have changed but the American football scouting set up used to heavily reward scouts who unearthed gems that didn't come through the draft picks system

We are absolutely not the best club for a player of that age (and position)

Any attempt to convince such a player otherwise would have to be based on lies

Looks a great player but feels like one that’ll go to a top club still worth chancing our arm
Cant see him being ready for a 'big' club (yet). Seems like a well-educated and smart guy, wouldnt be surprised if he wants to go to a club where he gets 90 min every weeend. But in theory, I guess he could sign for a bigger club and go out on loan the first season :)

Back
Top Bottom