'Memries' How to recognise Billy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

How should the club recognise him

• Build a statue

Votes: 95 30.8%
  • Rename the kop after him

Votes: 150 48.7%
  • A suite in the John street

Votes: 57 18.5%
  • Nothing

Votes: 38 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whatever it is it definitely isn’t something created by a fucking snorter.

Bizarre take - so in your book only clubs in the top half of the Prem should ever pay tribute to their best/favourite players?
Hi, Stegosaurus here

Nope--but the player in question should be somebody good. Nobody outside of England has heard of Billy Sharp, in fact--most people in England won't have a clue who Billy Sharp is. Having a statue of a relative nobody is the sign of a tinpot club because it's a sign that they haven't had a good, world renknowned player.

We could possibly get away with a statue of Jagielka without being tinpot. He played for England 40 times, and at the time was England's first-choice centerback. So is at least known. I don't know if WORLD known--like, I doubt many kids in the streets of Madrid were pretending to be Jagielka, or kids in Buenos Aires were discussing Jagielka's latest performance. But he's at least a name in the footballing world.

Nothing…Not yet anyway.
It not inconceivable he could come with another team and knock us out of the FA cup, scoring the winning goal in front of the…Billy Sharp Kop. That would be weird.
Personally, I’ve always thought statues should be for the dead. If Woody, Eddie and Badge can’t get one, I don’t think a man still alive in his 30s should have one either.

Hi, Stegosaurus here

Nope--but the player in question should be somebody good. Nobody outside of England has heard of Billy Sharp, in fact--most people in England won't have a clue who Billy Sharp is. Having a statue of a relative nobody is the sign of a tinpot club because it's a sign that they haven't had a good, world renknowned player.

We could possibly get away with a statue of Jagielka without being tinpot. He played for England 40 times, and at the time was England's first-choice centerback. So is at least known. I don't know if WORLD known--like, I doubt many kids in the streets of Madrid were pretending to be Jagielka, or kids in Buenos Aires were discussing Jagielka's latest performance. But he's at least a name in the footballing world.
so no ones heard of the championships all time leading goal scorer

Whatever we did, I'd only do it once he retires. Seems a bit small-time to have a stand named after an active player at another club.

Hi, Stegosaurus here

Frankly I don't care what other people think outside of the club.
You don't do statue's or in essence a recognition of service to serve the people who aren't that knowledgeable about a subject.
It's why Dooley's in the car park, he was a great figure and backbone for the club for a long time. Despite also playing for them earlier in his career.

By your token statues across the planet should be taken down because most people have never heard of them...
You also don't have to only have 1 statue. For me Currie and Woodward joint one would make alot of sense. But by your token not many have heard of Woodward so what's the point.

Also Jags was another great servant but in all his more illustrious days were after us in the 11 years at Everton.
Sharps been a driving force in the dressing room and on the pitch in this most recent spell. That first season (Adkins) not for sharp we would have flirted relegation.
Wilder years we know how well he did, in the PL he was coming into form when lockdown happened. Still managed to score half a dozen in total.
No he's never been capped but he's been our captain these past 6-7 years and done us proud whilst also scoring alot of goals.

This all said I'm not saying we should deffo have a Sharp statue (not against it), I think it would be wise to do something but it could be something a bit smaller for example.

He's been getting paid all this time for doing his job. I think that's enough.

so no ones heard of the championships all time leading goal scorer
Hi Stegosaurus here,

Do you know Serie B all time leading scorer? Or the all time leading scorer in whatever the second league in Spain or Gemany is?

Sharp has been a good player for us. But erecting a statue is tinpot.

It's be like Wednesday erecting one of David Hirst. Actually, maybe not because Hirst did it in the top tier.

I guess Wednesday erecting one of Barry Bannan is a better comparison. Actually, Bannom is likely more well known than Sharp globally because he's a full Scottish international.

Fuck it, let’s pass bucket round and see if we can get enough for a memorial bench next to home dug out. We only have to have date added when he snuffs it. Always thinking VFM me

Hi, Stegosaurus here

Don't give a flying fuck who outside the blades has heard of him.

He represents the Blades on and off the pitch and has been a bloody good player for us, and his achievements should be recognised by the club.

Name the seats where people refuse to sit down as Billy’s rebel rows.

Billy has been a fantastic player for us so it’s understandable that fans get caught up in the emotion of it all but if we are having a statue we will need to clear the car park for several others.

For example Basham has given us almost 10 continuous years and (leaving aside his legendary goal at Leeds for a moment) has kept as many goals out as Billy has scored at the other end

Wilder - whatever you think of him now was ball boy, player and manager who took us from League 1 to 7th in the Premiership

And some years ago McCabe applied to the Council to change the name of Cherry Street to Tony Currie Way and met with the response that in Sheffield (but not other towns) you cannot name a street after someone until they have died.

I will remember Billy as goal scorer and leader and he will undoubtably remain a legend (I think ‘hero’ should be reserved for someone who has fought on the front line) but a statue seems just a stretch too far at this stage.

Hi Stegosaurus here. I'm one of them.
It's a bit tinpot to build a statue of a player who while good in the lower leagues, couldn't hack it in the top flight.
Can you remember the top flight? It's where we'll be playing in the coming season, and where your lot have only spent 4 months this century.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Do you know Serie B all time leading scorer? Or the all time leading scorer in whatever the second league in Spain or Gemany is?

It's be like Wednesday erecting one of David Hirst. Actually, maybe not because Hirst did it in the top tier.

I guess Wednesday erecting one of Barry Bannan is a better comparison. Actually, Bannom is likely more well known than Sharp globally because he's a full Scottish international.
Still trying to fathom out why it needs to make sense globally?

If I went to Palermo's stadium and saw they had a statue of a top scorer for them over several years. I wouldn't think. "Christ that's tinpot".

Also Sharp will probably be more well known than Bannon, our 2nd tier is quite well viewed across Europe.
And on top of that Sharp was playing for us in the PL only 2 years ago, he was also the face of our MOTD title insert. (Wonder who they will use actually next season?)

Hi Stegosaurus here,

What bollocks Scottish internationals are not as well known as well known as Slovenian footballers ...sky sports news is seen all over europe so they've seen plenty of Billy sharp. I don't think a state is needed

The championship is the 4th largest supported league in europe

Disrespect.

Palpable.

Cunts !!

Always the same knobs who like to make the most noise. Can’t imagine why !!

UTB

Hi Stegosaurus here,

bannon I admit is better known for his part in the series Cadfael

Hi Stegosaurus here,

Seria B - Daniele Cacia
LaLiga 2 - Ruben Castro
Bundesliga 2 - Simon Terodde

All famous in their own rights if not slightly more journeymen

Back
Top Bottom