Higdon

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Problem Higdon has, and will always have, is he is a very 'dislikable' type of player. Whilst he is scoring all is rosey, but another month without a goal and he will be getting slaughtered on here again. He reminds me very much of Darius Henderson in that respect. Fair play to the lad for scoring again, but he will suffer from lack of 'likeability' at the Lane, because he doesn't graft and has no chance of ever beating a man with quick feet or skill! I think he's a really useful asset off the bench as he has shown tonight, good man.

Could Ched do this?

2yn33bb.jpg

Problem Higdon has, and will always have, is he is a very 'dislikable' type of player. Whilst he is scoring all is rosey, but another month without a goal and he will be getting slaughtered on here again. He reminds me very much of Darius Henderson in that respect. Fair play to the lad for scoring again, but he will suffer from lack of 'likeability' at the Lane, because he doesn't graft and has no chance of ever beating a man with quick feet or skill! I think he's a really useful asset off the bench as he has shown tonight, good man.
I understand what you're saying but i don't think he'll have to wait anywhere near a month for another goal,try Saturday for starters;)

Totally agree Blader; he isn't very mobile, won't beat defenders with trickery or pace and at times won't seem to add much to our game. If we are putting decent balls into the box regularly though he will get his fair share of goals and as long as that is happening fans will lay off him. When that isn't happening he is going to be open to criticism.

Any fans that were giving him abuse tonight are morons. You can't expect the guy to do things he just isn't capable of. If you think he shouldn't be playing because of what he isn't capable of, then it's Clough you should direct your displeasure at because he is the guy that has signed him and is picking him.

:):)
Could Ched do this?

2yn33bb.jpg
[/QUOTit to you]
Fuck me...I could do that when the keeper and defender between them hand it to you on plate 2 yards from an open goal. The first one surrounded by defenders I certainly would not have have scored[:)
/QUOTE]

Totally agree Blader; he isn't very mobile, won't beat defenders with trickery or pace and at times won't seem to add much to our game. If we are putting decent balls into the box regularly though he will get his fair share of goals and as long as that is happening fans will lay off him. When that isn't happening he is going to be open to criticism.

Any fans that were giving him abuse tonight are morons. You can't expect the guy to do things he just isn't capable of. If you think he shouldn't be playing because of what he isn't capable of, then it's Clough you should direct your displeasure at because he is the guy that has signed him and is picking him.

Strangely enough, lad went tonight and text me to give a run down on his thoughts on the game.

Gave lots of positives on the overall performance, picking out a number of players, but when it came to Higdon, he commented that despite two good goals, he was lazy, stood around whinging at everyone and waving his arms in the air.

"Likeabilty" what's a load of bollocks
What's has he got to do to convince people he's dangerous at this level he knows where the net is.
At Chesterfield their their defenders was shitting it until he walked and he was robbed of a goal that day.
Given game time he'll get 20 plus

"Likeabilty" what's a load of bollocks
What's has he got to do to convince people he's dangerous at this level he knows where the net is.
At Chesterfield their their defenders was shitting it until he walked and he was robbed of a goal that day.
Given game time he'll get 20 plus

I think you went off on a tangent with your post, as none of it was relevant to your opening statement. There are definitely 'likeable' and 'dislikeable' types of footballers, I used Henderson as an example. He has 2 goals in 9 league 1 games, so I'd say he still has some way to go to prove he can score goals consistently in the league. We have to change our style of play to suit him, as he is not blessed with any pace or great skill, this is why is he is not as 'likeable' as other players. I think there has been enough evidence in this 2 months (and even tonight) that when he isn't delivering, he gets more shit than other players. So why do you think that is, if my statement is 'a load of bollocks'?

Give Higdon service and he'll score. I've been saying this for a while. We just don't create enough until we are chasing a game.

Fans giving him grief about his mobility only goes to show how thick as fuck lots of football fans are. It's clear he's a finisher, and it's up to others to provide service.

UTB

Strangely enough, lad went tonight and text me to give a run down on his thoughts on the game.

Gave lots of positives on the overall performance, picking out a number of players, but when it came to Higdon, he commented that despite two good goals, he was lazy, stood around whinging at everyone and waving his arms in the air.

Pathetic. He plays 25 minutes as sub and gets two excellent goals that send us through to a quarter-final.

I repeat: Pathetic.

when he isn't delivering, he gets more shit than other players. So why do you think that is
he was lazy, stood around whinging at everyone and waving his arms in the air.
There we go.

I said earlier in the season if he's getting a goal a game then fair enough. If he isn't contributing goals, then he needs to contribute something else.

Perhaps his team mates now know better how to provide the right service for him to score, but even if he scores 20 goals, that's 25+ games we would be better with someone else in. All I ask of anyone in a Blades shirt is effort.

Well done on the two goals, let's hope his confidence is high and more follow.

Give Higdon service and he'll score. I've been saying this for a while. We just don't create enough until we are chasing a game.

Fans giving him grief about his mobility only goes to show how thick as fuck lots of football fans are. It's clear he's a finisher, and it's up to others to provide service.

UTB

You have a point there.

Trouble with NC, is that he plays EVERY game not to concede - When we do concede like last night there was not a lot to do. Against Colchester, they were shit and we seem very very fit and came into our own (same as Port Vale last year). Now against Chesterfield, 3 nil was too much to do, but we ran them close.

It just seems to be the NC way - and he has told us enough times in interviews - " we don't concede and try to score - after scoring we tr not to concede and see if we can get the second" - it is how he is.

On balance he seems to get it right more times that not and I suppose his team selections are beginning to make sense to most supporters. We seem to have a decent squad and when other teams start to get tired come Jan/Feb time we should come into out own with fitness with probably half the team being rotated.

Perhaps he is a genius?

UTB

I think you went off on a tangent with your post, as none of it was relevant to your opening statement. There are definitely 'likeable' and 'dislikeable' types of footballers, I used Henderson as an example. He has 2 goals in 9 league 1 games, so I'd say he still has some way to go to prove he can score goals consistently in the league. We have to change our style of play to suit him, as he is not blessed with any pace or great skill, this is why is he is not as 'likeable' as other players. I think there has been enough evidence in this 2 months (and even tonight) that when he isn't delivering, he gets more shit than other players. So why do you think that is, if my statement is 'a load of bollocks'?
A lot of truth in what you say ,we had many ,Guthrie ,Flo ,Ward ,Young ,Henderson ,the big guy up front always takes a lot of stick ,remember JET for Bristol last season and Andy Carroll ,they are an easy target because they get a shit job to do ,but when it comes good it really comes good :)

Was a bit rash that fella sorry, i think it was Blade 58 post that got my blood up.
Having said that Higdon will deliver at this level possibly above he is a genuine front man a defenders nightmare on the deck and in the air.

surely he was 'running the channels'? :D

The problem fans have with Higdon (me included) is his work rate on the backline & anticipation when crosses are coming in.

No he's not McNulty I don't expect him to run down the full backs, do the channel work, chase lost causes, that's what McNulty's good at & why fans appreciate him.

Higdon is a different type of build & a forward who needs to be in a central position as the focal point for players to play off him. This doesn't entitle him to not press the centre halves when they are in possession & give them an easy get out ball which is what they currently get with him. Last night he seemed to 'get it' abit more in terms of pressing down the back four, whether that was down to having a rocket up his arse as a man on a mission to prove some fans wrong who earlier slated him for not getting on the end of JCR's cross who knows but it was better to see.

I don't expect him to win the ball everytime when he presses (although that's the aim!) just press enough to make the back four not have an easy get out ball, whether that makes them misplace a pass or shank a clearance out of play then so be it, it turns over possession and gets us back on the front foot.

For me & probably a lot of other's it's more a frustration thing with Higdon as he's a big lad, has all the attributes to be a goalscoring powerhouse in this league but when I watch him (last night apart) he often gives me the impression he just doesn't 'want it enough' in terms of wanting to get infront of his man to that ball, wanting to make that run to give his team mates an outlet, wanting to press & harry to get that ball back & more importantly as it's happened on a few occasions this season wanting to break his neck to get on the end of crosses e.g. Preston away, last night being two prime examples where he just doesn't make that run to 'get in there' then the cross comes across, flashes across goal & his expression is that of a 'I should have been in there'....yes you should Michael, anticipate it sir & get yourself in there!

Personally I prefer us with the little man uptop as it's the system that worked so well last season & has worked well this season when we've gone with it & with the players & midfield runners we have at the club it suits us better to play in to feet rather than aim to the 'big man'.

However Higdon has the potential & attributes to be a very important asset this season & is an alternative option if Plan A isn't working, he just needs to 'want it' abit more for me.

I genuinely have no idea how anyone thought he could have reached that JCR cross. It looked miles away from him to me. The key to when Higdon is on the pitch is tactics. We need to get bodies round him for flick ons and holding the ball up, and we need to get crosses in the box.

5 goals in 12 appearances, averaging a goal every 126 minutes. You can't ask for a better striker rate than that for someone who gets so much stick.

You have a point there.

Trouble with NC, is that he plays EVERY game not to concede - When we do concede like last night there was not a lot to do. Against Colchester, they were shit and we seem very very fit and came into our own (same as Port Vale last year). Now against Chesterfield, 3 nil was too much to do, but we ran them close.

It just seems to be the NC way - and he has told us enough times in interviews - " we don't concede and try to score - after scoring we tr not to concede and see if we can get the second" - it is how he is.

On balance he seems to get it right more times that not and I suppose his team selections are beginning to make sense to most supporters. We seem to have a decent squad and when other teams start to get tired come Jan/Feb time we should come into out own with fitness with probably half the team being rotated.

Perhaps he is a genius?

UTB

Sounds remarkably like the approach of The Special One, and he seems to be doing OK!

Reactions: Dkc
The problem fans have with Higdon (me included) is his work rate on the backline & anticipation when crosses are coming in.

However Higdon has the potential & attributes to be a very important asset this season & is an alternative option if Plan A isn't working, he just needs to 'want it' abit more for me.

Plan A as we saw on Saturday is starting a game without having any strikers on the pitch, which probably explains why despite creating a hatful of chances we only scored one and ending up hanging on for a narrow win.

As such I think both Higdon and McNulty are a great "alternative option", as they have scored 10 goals between them, yet they have been limited in terms of the number of games they have started. I personally would like to see them both given a run of games (especially at home) to see what they can do.

It seems like we have a team and system for the first hour and then we change until the end ,it is working for the time being.

It seems like we have a team and system for the first hour and then we change until the end ,it is working for the time being.
I think it will work while ever teams just sit back against us,which tbh will be nearly every weak.It's very frustrating to watch but like you say it's working for now.I can't help but think if we attacked though with 1 or 2 up top from the start we would pummel some teams.

Personally I prefer us with the little man uptop as it's the system that worked so well last season & has worked well this season when we've gone with it & with the players & midfield runners we have at the club it suits us better to play in to feet rather than aim to the 'big man'.

To me Higdon is of better value to us if a team is attempting to park the proverbial bus and we are pressing - then his strengths come more into play (partly because of his lack of pace, but also because supporting players are closer to him).

Generally I think we are more mobile and less one dimensional with McNulty starting if it is more open play or we are defending. I haven't watched the game yet (awaiting it coming on bladesplayer) but Edwards (god he was awful last night on the radio :mad:) was making the point that the midfield and wingers were too far away from Higdon to pick anything up he was able to knock down - be interested to see if that is the case. If so this might well support the case for 4-4-2 (at least at home).

All his 5 goals are different, we just need to get the ball to him in the box. People were only saying of McNuts last week that it didn't matter what he did outside the box as long as he's banging the goals in. The same should then apply to Higdon.

Against Yeovil he took the most grief because he wasn't winning headers or getting up to win them against their giants, however nobody asked why suddenly did we become a long ball team when he came on?

Back
Top Bottom