Higdon

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Just seen the Higdon goal from Tuesday.

Thinking back to the Bristol game and the following games, Clough made a point about how things weren't quite working for Higdon as he was running to the back post and the balls were coming in at the front post. This was something that Clough said we needed to work on.

So the first ball of the game into the box v leyton Orient from Murphy and what a ball it was, power, precise and guess what? Straight to the back post for Higdon to run onto. The cross had enough power, but Higdon could also put some more power onto it. It wasn't stuck into the corner, but didn't need to be as it had enough power that even with the keeper getting behind it he couldn't stop it going in.

I've said for a long time that strikers need the ball where they want it. It happened with ched and I think it's they key to Higdon and McNulty getting goals.

From what I've seen of McNulty he's more of a front post runner, a poacher, so it'll be interesting to see them play alongside each other as well

Two goals in two games. He;s probably not ready for a full 90 minutes, and by all accounts is limited in what he can do, but at least he knows where the goal is. I'm looking forward to reading how performed when he came on today

3 goals from 6 starts & 3 sub appearances. Ronaldo he is not but he's doing ok. There's still room for improvement of course but I think he'll prove to be a reasonably successful signing.

I was wondering what his stats were after today. Can't help but think he might have converted some of the earlier opportunities - particularly some of the crosses that went across the box - if he'd started. Thought McNulty played OK though.

3 goals from 6 starts & 3 sub appearances. Ronaldo he is not but he's doing ok. There's still room for improvement of course but I think he'll prove to be a reasonably successful signing.

So 2 from 6 starts, 1 from 3 sub appearances. So a 1 in 3 average whatever way you spin it.....

That means over a 46 game season he would average at least 15 goals having started in only 2/3 of the games. For someone that gets so much stick that sounds pretty good to me.

Oh and that's a sample of games where he has apparently not been match fit. I think some people owe the big man an apology frankly.

To be fair to his detractors, his performance against Crawley was poor and he was rightly criticised for his touch and all round contribution.

Today, he scored a fantastic goal that was all about his goal scoring ability. He ran to the near post and screamed for it to be played into him, leaving their defender behind, Alcock played it right where he wanted it and he finished it superbly from a fairly tight angle. Fantastic centre forward play and let's hope that is a glimpse of what he will do on a regular basis once match fit. Fantastic contribution from the bench today, on that showing could yet prove to be a great signing. :)

said in earlier post started here behind in training regime , needed time , getting up to speed now , expect more and more as he matches the pace

I don't think Higdon will ever get noticeably fitter. He'll always be a fat knacker. But he will play noticeably better.

He's not the answer on his own, but he's a very useful option.

Todays goal was a good one, right move right time and good finish. We created chances yesterday and that was good. 26 shots on goal, clearances off the line, post and bar hit. This is what you want to hear about. OK we scraped home but if we create chances then players like Higdon should score goals.

Still can't believe people are putting it down to his match sharpness and condition as we approach October though.

Two goals in two games. He;s probably not ready for a full 90 minutes, and by all accounts is limited in what he can do, but at least he knows where the goal is. I'm looking forward to reading how performed when he came on today
Let's be honest we've got quite a few, and had loads before who are less limited but don't know how to find the back of the net.

To me, it looks like he really understands how to work the box, and I think he'll be quite prolific given the right tactics and a run in the team.

Utb

I think Higdon himself knows there is still a bit to work on fitness wise but when the ball is anywhere near that six yard box he has got the ability to at least get something on the ball and make the keeper work. I believe it is only a matter of time before the big fella goes on a scoring run that will bring out the best of him.
His understanding of the players around him is growing game by game and this is showing in the positions he is now getting himself into.

He might not be match fit yet, but I doubt he'll ever be properly fit in professional football terms. I think yesterday is exactly how he should be used, a good option off the bench if things aren't quote working and we need to change it up. The problem with him is

a) he's slow. My god he's slow! He tried chasing their full back yesterday 5 mins after coming on and got nowhere near the lad who had 80 minutes behind him.

B) we are forced to change our style to suit him. I saw Wallace did a lovely shimmy and clever through ball yesterday and Higdon was nowhere near quick enough to reach it. The only way is long and we become predictable and one-dimensional. That's fine like yesterday when we're throwing the kitchen sink at teams, but less effective from the first minute.

He's a great option off the bench, but I'm not convinced he's a leader of the line for 75/80 minutes every week. If we could get a quick mobile striker as first choice we could have Higdon or McNulty as different options depending on the game situation.
On that note, I thought McNulty was good yesterday, worked his arse off and provided mobility for the sorts of play I referred to before with Wallace. Only shame was he could hve had a couple of goals, they might come with time hopefully.

To score goals you need to make chances. This guy will score goals, we just might have to be a bit slowly slowly with this guy and once the 10 behind him are more settled we will reap the rewards. Could do with a pacey guy as an option though.

Let's be honest we've got quite a few, and had loads before who are less limited but don't know how to find the back of the net.

To me, it looks like he really understands how to work the box, and I think he'll be quite prolific given the right tactics and a run in the team.

Utb
That's exactly how it is and what's he needs.
Their centre backs knew they had their hands full when he came on Higdons got presence.
He's a twenty goals a season striker at this level.
Don't give a toss how fast he is and that might be as fit as he gets!

That's exactly how it is and what's he needs.
Their centre backs knew they had their hands full when he came on Higdons got presence.
He's a twenty goals a season striker at this level.
Don't give a toss how fast he is and that might be as fit as he gets!
I tend to agree. By Higdon's own admission he is slow. I wonder if Neil Shipperley ever considered he was quick ?

As Cloughie has been saying, it sometimes takes a while to bed in because a new manager might be asking a player to do different things from previous clubs.

I think Clough may come to the conclusion that although he must compete and win headers (for example) around the pitch, what we really want him to do is get in the box, be a nuisance and finish chances. I was particularly pleased that he got across his man to finish Alcock's cross yesterday.

Although we have been slinging crosses in of late, we need to improve the quality. Once we've done that, Higdon will score more.

I've looked up the number of minutes he has completed and it's the equivalent of just less than 6 games. So, his goalscoring so far is pretty good.

He's still only 31 so he should be able to complete a good number of 90 minute games but when starting I think he'll probably do 70-80 minutes. Then change it for a different type of striker.

Some further competition for him would be good but I think he'll get a reasonable haul of goals this season.

Onwards and upwards.

I liked his reaction when he scored ,no Billy big bollocks ,get the ball back and get the winner. With the amount of balls we put in the box yesterday he would have thrived ,its going to be a balancing act but eventually I can a partnership with him and McNulty ,very difficult who we could sacrifice from yesterday though.

a) he's slow. My god he's slow! He tried chasing their full back yesterday 5 mins after coming on and got nowhere near the lad who had 80 minutes behind him

I could let Kyle walker play 3 games including extra time (back to back) and still wouldn't get close to him. Some people are fast. Some people are big and strong & combative. Rarely do the two come together.

I like the look of McNulty though, he offers something different and surprising

very difficult who we could sacrifice from yesterday though.

Depends on the opposition. If we're playing defensive-minded strugglers then we can afford to drop Alcock and put Davies at full-back. The value of an attacking fullback can be huge in that sort of game.

Would be harsh on Alcock though.

I saw why we signed him for the first time yesterday. A really intelligent runner who can be neat on the ball and will only improve with time.

I could let Kyle walker play 3 games including extra time (back to back) and still wouldn't get close to him. Some people are fast. Some people are big and strong & combative. Rarely do the two come together.

and whilst pace isn't everything at all, I think the way we are set up mean mobility is a vital component for our attackers. Baxter and Wallace in particular are clever footballers who look to dictate the game and thread a pass. The game changes with Higdon as their talents are effectively wasted. Higdon will score goals if we use wings and pump balls in the box. However, we need to find balance between utilising our most creative players and playing to Higdon's strengths. That's why I think he'll be more effective off the bench, where we might be required to go a bit more direct when chasing the game in the closing minutes. My main fear is having Higdon in from the start might just impose restrictions on Wallace and Baxter's games, McNulty seems a much more suitable type of player for this role.

Back
Top Bottom