Henderson Least Accurate Keeper (Top 6 Excluded)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Its his biggest weakness, his long ball game being worse than his short ball distribution and probably the reason why Pickford will keep the England jersey for the moment. Interesting that Pope is not much better.
That's cos all keepers these days have this obsession with playing five yard goal kicks, it's bloody ridiculous and gains nothing to most teams (and even the teams that can do it have cocked up on multiple occasions.

Keepers number 1 priority is exactly that...keeping the ball out.

Stupid passing stats for them can fuckoff.

Am I right in thinking that a pass counts as completed if one of your own players touches the ball first? Because there are reasons you might expect a lower pass accuracy for keepers on that basis e.g. if the strikers up front are particularly good in the air or running the channels then more passes will be completed hence a higher pass accuracy.

I know his distribution needs work but it's hard to believe it's that much different between the top and bottom keepers.

His long ball accuracy is hit and miss, but one of those long balls was an assist 👍

Can't say I am surprised by this, although not concerned in the slightest by it either. I am sure we will gradually use the short goal kick as a tactic at some point, but could the reason we don't currently be part of the reason we are so good defensively?

It's because we're the only team in the league who doesn't do that pissing about thing in our own box where the GK keeps passing it to the defenders.

Completely meaningless stats.

Well, it indicates that short pass accuracy is a fairly redundant stat in that there's almost no difference between best and worst. I wonder how long a pass has to be to be considered a "long pass" because if there's a large margin then that could explain another part of the difference.

It’s been his biggest weakness for a while.

His short passing isn’t the issue, his pass percentage is good. But his long passes aren’t so good at all.
And I commented a while back that the difference between him and the very best is the best have the ability to find a winger/wing back with a lofted pass to the touch line near the half way point.
This is a huge part of how those teams play, and allows the full backs to push up on both flanks with a keeper as a sweeper and beat the high press.

Ramsdale is pretty good, so if Bournemouth go down it’s another positive for us trying to bring him back

This is the main reason we let so little in. Deano is obviously being coached to kick or throw long. We never play a short goal kick if any of the opponents are in our half at that time :)

Keep doing what you are doing Blades 👍

The number looks a little skewed by the fact we don't fanny about around the box.

Yeah, this - can't find anything more recent but in September there was only Henderson and Rui Patricio who hadn't completed a goalkick to a teammate in the box. I'd be surprised if he's done it more than a handful of times all season.

I wonder how long a pass has to be to be considered a "long pass" because if there's a large margin then that could explain another part of the difference.

Not sure what provider this table's creator uses, but Whoscored class a long pass as one that travels 25m or more. That could explain Henderson's low long-ball accuracy - some keepers are playing passes of eg 25-30m whereas we're whacking it 10 yards into the opposition half every time. Or, he's shite at passing :)

Yeah, this - can't find anything more recent but in September there was only Henderson and Rui Patricio who hadn't completed a goalkick to a teammate in the box. I'd be surprised if he's done it more than a handful of times all season.

Not sure what provider this table's creator uses, but Whoscored class a long pass as one that travels 25m or more.

First thing, love your input.....secondly, my impressions of Henderson's overall game is one of a young keeper learning, wishing to improve, and clearly a significant part of an excellent defence. Although I understand the nit-picking (necessary I admit), in Henderson we have a top 'keeper who seems to enjoy being here and gives us confidence should an opposing player decide to shoot or head a ball. More pluses than minuses as far as I can see.

First thing, love your input.....secondly, my impressions of Henderson's overall game is one of a young keeper learning, wishing to improve, and clearly a significant part of an excellent defence. Although I understand the nit-picking (necessary I admit), in Henderson we have a top 'keeper who seems to enjoy being here and gives us confidence should an opposing player decide to shoot or head a ball. More pluses than minuses as far as I can see.

Just to be clear I'm not at all nit-picking Henderson here, I'm 99% sure it's a team-wide tactic to take goalkicks long rather than us worrying that he can't do it. I'm also not sure that it's automatically "good" to take goalkicks short and play out from the back - different teams have different strengths.

I'm probably old skool but couldnt care less about these stats.

Remember City buying Bravo for this reason and imho he's one of the most overrated keepers of all time.

Not sure what provider this table's creator uses, but Whoscored class a long pass as one that travels 25m or more. That could explain Henderson's low long-ball accuracy - some keepers are playing passes of eg 25-30m whereas we're whacking it 10 yards into the opposition half every time. Or, he's shite at passing :)

That's what I was thinking. There's a big difference between playing it to a player in your own half and hitting it down a channel for Moose to chase.

Just to be clear I'm not at all nit-picking Henderson here, I'm 99% sure it's a team-wide tactic to take goalkicks long rather than us worrying that he can't do it. I'm also not sure that it's automatically "good" to take goalkicks short and play out from the back - different teams have different strengths.

My bad for rushing off a post - I should have referred the nit-picking to other posters and how they approach critiquing their club, but certainly not yourself mate. Agree with your assessment, horses for courses, you do what's best for the team as a whole. If it works, well done, but if it's a burden, why persist with an innovation that your players struggle with?

We do tend to lose possession once we go through the process of playing keep ball until it goes back to Henderson who then launches it. Then we start playing chase the ball :rolleyes: It's almost cost us a few times this season. UTB

Hasn't this been cited as the reason he won't get in the England team? Goalkeepers need good distribution as well nowadays.
Yes it's been mentioned, also as a possible reason Man Utd won't be rushing to get him ahead of DeGea or a possible new No2.

It's his second biggest weakness after not knowing when to come off his line.

That said, he's in his early 20s, his game doesn't really have any other weaknesses and I don't think anyone really cares about his distribution if he's making the kind of saves he makes.

We do tend to lose possession once we go through the process of playing keep ball until it goes back to Henderson who then launches it. Then we start playing chase the ball :rolleyes: It's almost cost us a few times this season. UTB
I find it annoying when the defender passing it back is in space. Why pass it back for Hendo to launch? May as well launch it yourself, given he’s the keeper and the defender is supposed to be able to kick it. Fair enough if it’s the City keeper because he passes it long like Hoddle.

Back
Top Bottom