Heckingbottom Out, Wilder In

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Heckingbottom Out, Wilder In

• Good Idea

Votes: 82 9.3%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 797 90.7%

• Total voters

Hi Stegosaurus here,

I was gonna make this suggestion today as a wind up. Looks like I got pipped to the post.

Wilder back would stir a rancid toxicity the club has been thankfully lacking of in the past 2 seasons (even despite failed takeovers, embargo and injury crises)

How hecky has managed to enthuse a feel good feeling in a time we shouldve been all in the dumps i’ll never know, and achieving promotion too. What a great character to have leading our club

Wilder back would stir a rancid toxicity the club has been thankfully lacking of in the past 2 seasons (even despite failed takeovers, embargo and injury crises)

How hecky has managed to enthuse a feel good feeling in a time we shouldve been all in the dumps i’ll never know, and achieving promotion too. What a great character to have leading our club
Not sure I'd go as far as that but to sack hecky now wouldn't send a good message to the players.

Of course its possible but the gulf gets bigger financially year on year.

Burnley have spent far more than us and look shocking. Everton will probably kick on now with the new owners. Without investment and a takeover it will be a miracle to stay up.

Yes Wilder did amazingly our first year back up but I'm not one for returning to old managers. He was poor for boro and poor for Watford. His transfer record wasn't exactly great and he didn't like playing any of the youngsters. If Wilder had stayed its unlikely Ndiaye would have ever even played more than 5 games for this club.

Heckingbotham has earned his chance to have at least this full season. If you disagree then i don't know what else you think he could be doing or have done?
I read to didn’t like playing Youngsters and stopped reading. Look at Davie Brooks as example one. All of the youngsters that are good were signed under Wilder era.

Just been talking about it on Talk Sport, evidently it is possible, Wilder was at the game yesterday. Suggested he could come back with Hecky staying on the coaching staff....can't see it myself but maybe Hecky feels the job is too big.

It's a no from me by the way!

It's more nuanced than a simple question.

As of now:
Of course it would seem so unfair and wrong to relieve Hecky of his duties.
He's recently brought us promotion, so naturally deserves a chance to prove himself.

Regards the future:
Performances and style of play are an indicator of future results.
Last season we had one of the strongest squads in the league and we pre-season favourites to finish top 3.
We gained the results but the performances were rarely convincing and we didn't have a set style of play.
In fact....the lack of set style was possibly a positive because the opposition couldn't adopt tactics to negate us.
We had little spells of passing, relied heavily on Norwood for his long passes, great when it works, look like hopeless hoofball most of the time.
Then we were exceptional last season at parking the bus, probably because he realised Egan and Robinson lack pace so can't be pushed too far up field.

I'm not exactly impressed with Hecky, think he's an average manager, never understand the substitutions or tactics
and even in post match interviews he never reveals much about a game, regards tactics etc.

However Hecky has been a calm and steadying influence on an emotional fanbase.
He handled the takeover and going into an embargo brilliantly, also handled the last push from Boro brilliantly too.
Never up when we win, never down when we lose. Also his poor communication is possibly a positive because there's never anything controversial.

Wilder is much more passionate, wears his heart on his sleeve, but is probably over passionate and emotional.
Wilder acts like a fan from the terraces, it's great to see when we're winning but looks bad when we're losing.
However Wilders interviews are always worth a listen, reveals so much about injuries, form, his ideas etc.

Conclusion
Think we should keep Hecky for now but suspect the fanbase will turn by November, when we're losing playing negative football.
So I'm pretty confident we'll be looking for a replacement in a couple of months.
Bringing in Wilder again is like bringing in a stick of dynamite, it would be big news and increase our profile.
Would be seen as unfinished business, lets not forget up to covid, playing in stadia with fans he was great.
Could go either way, a big success again or failure, as expectation would probably be higher for Wilders return, so there would be more pressure to succeed.
Unless there's anyone more obviously better, then Wilder would be worth a gamble.
Lets not forget he's been our best manager (results and style wise) in the last 50 years.
I still remember us going away to Arsenal and Spurs, not being overawed and genuinely fancying our chances to win.

I’m genuinely excited about what Hecky is building. Alright, we look likely to get relegated but any reasonable person knew that was likely. Are we going to be a stronger championship team and club overall in 24/25 than in 22/23 as a result? Looks very much like it so far. That is largely down to Hecky who has worked under difficult circumstances. To throw that away would be crazy.

Conspiracy theorists listen in . Isn’t Wilder good mates with Betis 🤔

It's more nuanced than a simple question.

As of now:
Of course it would seem so unfair and wrong to relieve Hecky of his duties.
He's recently brought us promotion, so naturally deserves a chance to prove himself.

Regards the future:
Performances and style of play are an indicator of future results.
Last season we had one of the strongest squads in the league and we pre-season favourites to finish top 3.
We gained the results but the performances were rarely convincing and we didn't have a set style of play.
In fact....the lack of set style was possibly a positive because the opposition couldn't adopt tactics to negate us.
We had little spells of passing, relied heavily on Norwood for his long passes, great when it works, look like hopeless hoofball most of the time.
Then we were exceptional last season at parking the bus, probably because he realised Egan and Robinson lack pace so can't be pushed too far up field.

I'm not exactly impressed with Hecky, think he's an average manager, never understand the substitutions or tactics
and even in post match interviews he never reveals much about a game, regards tactics etc.

However Hecky has been a calm and steadying influence on an emotional fanbase.
He handled the takeover and going into an embargo brilliantly, also handled the last push from Boro brilliantly too.
Never up when we win, never down when we lose. Also his poor communication is possibly a positive because there's never anything controversial.

Wilder is much more passionate, wears his heart on his sleeve, but is probably over passionate and emotional.
Wilder acts like a fan from the terraces, it's great to see when we're winning but looks bad when we're losing.
However Wilders interviews are always worth a listen, reveals so much about injuries, form, his ideas etc.

Conclusion
Think we should keep Hecky for now but suspect the fanbase will turn by November, when we're losing playing negative football.
So I'm pretty confident we'll be looking for a replacement in a couple of months.
Bringing in Wilder again is like bringing in a stick of dynamite, it would be big news and increase our profile.
Would be seen as unfinished business, lets not forget up to covid, playing in stadia with fans he was great.
Could go either way, a big success again or failure, as expectation would probably be higher for Wilders return, so there would be more pressure to succeed.
Unless there's anyone more obviously better, then Wilder would be worth a gamble.
Lets not forget he's been our best manager (results and style wise) in the last 50 years.
I still remember us going away to Arsenal and Spurs, not being overawed and genuinely fancying our chances to win.

I could have written that word for word. There is absolutely no reason for a knee-jerk reaction now, but if things are still the same in a few months, I highly doubt that the Prince would stick by Hecky.

If we had a top manager then you'd say give Hecky the season and let him take us back up, but his record and style of play don't convince me that would be the best option.

Just clicked on your profile, half-hoping you'd have half a dozen posts and just be a rival fan on the wind up. Alas, not the case...

Kind of shocking to see we have fans that are anti-Heckingbottom. Always interested to hear opposing points of views though, even if in a clear minority.

Do you not think He's doing a great job?
What's arrived you to the view that you'd trade Heckingbottom and co. for Wilder?

Hecky is doing a good job, how can anyone say it's a great job.

Use some logic here.
Wilders team were mainly very good league 1/ Championship players who happened to gel into a such a well oiled team they were challenging for a Champions League place. For me that's up there with Brian Clough type magic.

In Wilders 2nd season we played behind closed doors and were relegated.
Jukanovic was brought in to bring fresh ideas, attract quality players and play a better style of play.
He did change our style, we were more pleasing on the eye, kept plenty of possession but we were a bit like Swansea.
We looked good but struggled to pick up results because we over passed and our passing was too slow giving opposition defences time to re-organise.

Hecky comes in to steady the ship and wisely reverts us back to a version of Wilder...quicker passing...more direct style. We instantly improve.
Hecky is pragmatic and focusses on defence. If we don't concede then we're guaranteed at least a point. We almost gain promotion through the play-offs.

2nd season is massively important for United due to reductions in the parachute payments.
Again he takes a pragmatic approach, where once we go in front...then we sit back and win many games 1-0 or 2-1.
We had a spell of winning so many away games 1-0, where we played in a style similar to yesterday aways game, generally parking the bus.

Hecky at United reminds me of the Southgate for England argument.
Both are doing quite well and are a safe pair of hands with the media, never revealing much and tactics etc.
So in many ways you can understand why Hecky should remain United manager and Southgate should remain England manger.

I see United bringing Wilder back, a bit like when people suggested Brian Clough should become manager of England.
Both actions are like bringing in a stick of dynamite to the party, potentially explosive, would shake everything up and could go either way.

Hecky deserves more time but I think he'll be under massive pressure around November time, when there's little sign of progress.
It's at that time....when we should be talking about replacements but at the moment surely Hecky stays.

I don’t think this is far fetched at all from what I heard back in late July. I’m against the decision personally.…
Aye
So what was it you “heard back in late July”?

And why didn’t you share what you “heard back in late July”

Oh & for avoidance of doubt those are rhetorical facetious don’t give a fuck questions about you & “late July”

With the disparity in funds available, what do people expect; Hecky is still making a fist of the matches, he is truly doing a great job.

OK we lost to Forest / City and Spurs in dying moments and its gut wrenchingly disappointing- but we were IN all of these games, and for tired legs & minds we easily could be looking at 6 points now.

Whoever started this horrendous rumour is a dickhead- the club should stamp it out immediately, before the rumour gains momentum and credibility.

Hecky, McCall and Jack Lester should not be reading this garbage Jesus H Christ the lack of respect and loyalty is mind boggling.

The poll result is pretty conclusive isn’t it. There is no appetite to have Wilder back.

That doesn’t mean it won’t happen, but we know that the club monitors this forum. So, if it did happen, it has to be hoped that it is made very clear to Wilder and that his arrogance allows him to understand that:

1. He certainly no longer gets a free pass for being “one of us”. He’s spent that currency, it’s no longer there for him.

2. He will be under far greater scrutiny than most new managers. He will be watched closely for signs that he has learned some positive lessons from the last 3 years.

3. It wouldn’t take much for the crowd to turn.

I keep thinking back to Kendall’s final stint at Everton. And Atkinson’s return to the Pigs. I don’t think it will work.

Hecky has:

Transparency, decency, calmness, togetherness, and man management but the absolute bucketful. We are very lucky to have him.

Hecky doesn't have:

Squad depth, finances or a clean bill of squad health behind him. All out of his control.

Wouldn’t surprise me if there’s some truth to this rumour.

Think someone at SUFC has deliberately leaked a news story to the press, in a way the government often deliberately leak rumours to an insider in the presss, it’s just to test the waters and plant the seed.

I reckon there has been positive discussions between Chris and SUFC but the club have no intentions of immediately replacing Hecky, however as long as the fans are generally on board then it wouldn’t surprise me if he returns in November or December time.

Let’s hope there’s an upturn in results then obviously he won’t be needed.

Last edited:
We are not going to get an upturn in results soon looking at our forthcoming fixtures. No Mcburnie next week as well.

Depends how the fans react in November if we are still on 1 point.

This has clearly come from somewhere and didn't the Prince tell Hal that he was bezzies with Wilder again?

Hecky has:

Transparency, decency, calmness, togetherness, and man management but the absolute bucketful. We are very lucky to have him.

Hecky doesn't have:

Squad depth, finances or a clean bill of squad health behind him. All out of his control.

Good post agree with it
However the pros don’t make a good manager.

The qualities you described about being “a good bloke” all apply to Darren Moore at SWFC but we wouldn’t want him.

If 5 out of 10 is average and there’s nothing wrong with average. I’d put Hecky as 6.5 out of 10.

Yes we can do better but we could do a lot worse. People might think I’m anti Hecky, when I’m not and accept he’s done and is doing a good job, however I do have some reservations. We’ll see.

Good post agree with it
However the pros don’t make a good manager.

The qualities you described about being “a good bloke” all apply to Darren Moore at SWFC but we wouldn’t want him.

If 5 out of 10 is average and there’s nothing wrong with average. I’d put Hecky as 6.5 out of 10.

Yes we can do better but we could do a lot worse. People might think I’m anti Hecky, when I’m not and accept he’s done and is doing a good job, however I do have some reservations. We’ll see.
With these players - sorry what Hecky has done is 9/10. We have been in every game - like many have said before Pep would do no better with these players.

Hecky & Team deserve a lot more loyalty than this- last year under circumstances he was 10/10.

This thread this conversation should NOT be happening- he deserves free pass for next 2 years WHATEVER.

With our budget and the sales of ndiaye and to a lesser extent berge staying up is a miracle if we do it
Writing off the first few games makes that miracle even further away as does not using the foreign loans to bolster the squad depth

We will compete and we will win games but our options off the bench are pathetic for this level and thats not the managers fault

Back
Top Bottom