Heckingbottom Earned his chance?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've just been told by someone who isn't ITK in terms of the Blades but works as a manager in the EFL that Heckingbottom has got the job. Not sure I believe him but I do know he has mates within the Blades coaching staff team.

I've just been told by someone who isn't ITK in terms of the Blades but works as a manager in the EFL that Heckingbottom has got the job. Not sure I believe him but I do know he has mates within the Blades coaching staff team.
The more I think about it the more I think board have maybe now got down to two options.
SJ as a first and Heckingbottom as 2nd choice......?
It's pretty perplexing how long it's taken. Can only think that managers like SJ wanted to see out the season first....?

Reactions: RWE
It's a maybe for me, if not Jokanovic then I wouldn't mind Heckingbottom, surprised by how much I like listening to him talk 😂. Tweaked the formation a little, and brought in youth, something Wilder forgot to try before he left. Reckon he would get us into the top 6 next year but would need help (which might suit the owners) with transfers etc. Think his and Didzy's interview yesterday summed it up, needs a shake up and a voice, and needs to be sorted quickly. Think everyone has to remember he's not had any time/control to fully change the dynamic and mentality of the squad too.

The more I think about it the more I think board have maybe now got down to two options.
It's pretty perplexing how long it's taken. Can only think that managers like SJ wanted to see out the season first....?
I don't think it's perplexing, season finished yesterday and Heckingbottom/Tindall were appointed until the end of the season.

I'd expect a debrief this week from them and views on what is needed and a decision made after that.

If PH gets the job then it should be because we ran out of options, which wouldn't be a good sign.

He's done his reputation a lot of good by picking up some wins but between those wins I think we've actually been worse than under Wilder. There's also a big difference between his current situation where he's expected to do nothing and can only work with the squad he's been given and going out in the Summer to rebuild the side.

Heckingbottom stood up and did a duty for the club which I thank him for. He's a very likeable bloke.

Whether we want him to get the job or not is irrelevant. We just need to establish whether he'd actually want the job himself, and I've not heard a thing from him to suggest that that's the case.

Steve McManamanaman was talking shite yesterday, saying that once you've 'had a taste' of the first team job you're bound to want it, and then some bollocks dismissing youth team football. I bet the U23's job is a great gig at a decent sized club. You get to earn a living from football without the huge pressures of a first-team role, work with hungry up-and-comers and occasionally you might come across a proper gem of a player. If he's happy coaching at U23 level and he's doing a good job then leave the bloke there, I say.

Heckingbottom stood up and did a duty for the club which I thank him for. He's a very likeable bloke.

Whether we want him to get the job or not is irrelevant. We just need to establish whether he'd actually want the job himself, and I've not heard a thing from him to suggest that that's the case.

Steve McManamanaman was talking shite yesterday, saying that once you've 'had a taste' of the first team job you're bound to want it, and then some bollocks dismissing youth team football. I bet the U23's job is a great gig at a decent sized club. You get to earn a living from football without the huge pressures of a first-team role, work with hungry up-and-comers and occasionally you might come across a proper gem of a player. If he's happy coaching at U23 level and he's doing a good job then leave the bloke there, I say.
McManaman is too thick to be a manager and too big time to work with youngsters. He'd be setting fire to wads of cash in front of them instead of coaching them.

Punditry on shit games is about his level.

For me he's done enough in his time so far that if the club made the decision to appoint him I wouldn't mind too much.

But like a few have said here already, Didzy was spot on. I feel like we need a bit of a shake up to get everyone back on their toes and that for me means bringing someone else in.

Not sure what more Heckingbottam could have done. Not sure why people were expecting wholesale changes, a caretaker manager is essentially there to see it through until a permanent man is appointed. He’s actually made some rather astute, subtle tactical changes that I’m a bit disappointed Wilder didn’t give a go in all honestly.

As he said though, caretaker is vastly different from being the actual manager and I think he realises that. I don’t doubt he knows what we need and has ideas about which direction the club should go but having the contacts and scouting network to make that happen is a different story.

He’s clearly an excellent coach and has done a good job really in terms of some of the results he’s got. As a manager I don’t think he’s what we need right now. If we’d just gone from the championship to league one, I’d be tempted to have a punt on him.

Reactions: RWE
This is from another thread, seems well sourced for an S24SU rumour.

I will reiterate what i know, SJ agreed a deal with us and will be unveiled this week as manager. My Mrs is a football editor for a big uk media company for few years now and also has new job at Bein sport mena, she has good contacts, his contract in Qatar finished early May and work permits were needed. He is our new manager. Its done. When have i been wrong ? She told me about Ramsdale weeks before he signed, Brewster, called Wilder leaving 11 days before he left. She tells me, i update on S24su, then when the club are ready to announce, the story a published on media outlets, shortly after the club announce a press conference, same as always guys….

I know someone who works for Hermes, granted he's only a driver, not a manager but he tells me that knowsnowt has interviewed well and is the most likely candidate.

I know someone who works for Hermes, granted he's only a driver, not a manager but he tells me that knowsnowt has interviewed well and is the most likely candidate.

If Hermes are involved then we probably got a deal done for Jokanović last week but they delivered him to the wrong address.

Heckingbottom got to play our most winnable home games and we scraped 3 1-0 wins with our only 3 goals in those last 6.
The defence looked better as 3 clean sheets show but away we still looked poor and devoid of aggression
He's very good at bringing on young talent . It's his niche and we should keep him where he was most effective

He has done a great job with the u23s and that should be his role at the club.

Wouldn't be the worst appointment for me. Well liked, knows the club, did fantastic at Barnsley and wasn't given time at Leeds. I'd prefer him to an expensive gamble like SJ

Is SJ an expensive gamble? could be argued that Heck is an expensive gamble. not getting a promotion straight away could be construed as costly. one thing we know about SJ is he knows how to get out of this league

No. He's to friendly and cosy with some of the squad.

We need someone to come in who will make the ruthless decisions that are needed.

No way he’s got no presence ok for the young uns.
He would take the job for the money would be a big mistake for us.

Probably none of the so called frontrunners want the poison chalice

Back
Top Bottom