Have we caught up

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Go back 3 years and 23 out of 25 of our squad players for the Blades were British or Irish, the exceptions being Berge and Mousset.
There is every possibility that our usual starting eleven could include Hamer, De Souza, Traore, Slimane, Anel, Trusty, and Larouci.
I was tempted to add gorgeous George as isn't he now officially Greek. Suppose you could add Osula and Jebbison.
All of a sudden we are a true multi national side.
It's about time we caught up with the rest of the premier league.

No problem at all with that.You’re right, it’s time we widened our scouting net.
I do like a fellow blade in the team though.
For that reason, I’m gutted Arblaster isn’t part of the squad this season.Bleeds red and white.
Hopefully we’ll see him as part of our midfield with Souza and Hamer, next season.

No problem at all with that.You’re right, it’s time we widened our scouting net.
For that reason, I’m gutted Arblaster isn’t part of the squad this season.Bleeds red and white.
Hopefully we’ll see him as part of our midfield with Souza and Hamer, next season.
Arblaster I understand has got off to a great start at P. Vale, he needs to continue in that vein to earn a move to a championship club for the second half of the season.
I'm with you, if we can't have a Blade in the team I like to see some homegrown talent in there.

I agree, but we have adopted Bash for this role. No one can deny his commitment to the cause🤣⚔️⚔️⚔️

Arblaster I understand has got off to a great start at P. Vale, he needs to continue in that vein to earn a move to a championship club for the second half of the season.
Think he's on a season long loan so he's stuck at Vale.
edit: Also interesting to see self proclaimed Man Utd wonder kid James Wilson has ended up Port Vale, though he hasn't really nailed down his position in the team.

Last edited:
We haven't caught up, we've gone backwards.

The 2019-20 team was far superior.
Perhaps different sides of the same coin, but to me the 19/20 team was a LOT better than the sum of its parts.

As soon as the glue that held it together weakened, it fell apart.

Or course I'm not pretending we're the finished article now, nor will we ever be, but there is significantly more individual quality in today's team.

I find it funny that back when Wilder was preferring homegrown people were praising it, now he's gone we must diversify our side internationalwise even though we made ninth with a majority British/Irish side.

I prefer to have at least SOME homegrown players in our squad. If that makes me a gammon or a Brexit merchant so be it.

I find it funny that back when Wilder was preferring homegrown people were praising it, now he's gone we must diversify our side internationalwise even though we made ninth with a majority British/Irish side.

I prefer to have at least SOME homegrown players in our squad. If that makes me a gammon or a Brexit merchant so be it.
I have images of you violently arguing in an empty phone box

My opening post wasn't aimed at Chris Wilder at all, it was just a period in time.
In fact wasn't it Chris that bought Berge and Mousset and proved that perhaps United could compete in the foreign market to bring players to the lane.
It just seems to have been a slow progression from having a couple of foreign players to now having 7or 8.
What I hope it does show is that we do seem to have a better scouting network in place than we used to.
I too would love to see homegrown players in the team, as it would prove what many of us think, that we have a strong and successful academy set up.

A players country of origin is of no consequence surely?? Am I missing something...? Do we get extra points or something?? Hope we do..... We need all the help we can get.

Go back 3 years and 23 out of 25 of our squad players for the Blades were British or Irish, the exceptions being Berge and Mousset.
There is every possibility that our usual starting eleven could include Hamer, De Souza, Traore, Slimane, Anel, Trusty, and Larouci.
I was tempted to add gorgeous George as isn't he now officially Greek. Suppose you could add Osula and Jebbison.
We're going to have a very busy window in January when CW is back

We're going to have a very busy window in January when CW is back
What makes you think he'll be back?

I personally think he'll get a job from an early manager sacking (not PH) - before Xmas.

Im not going to knock Wilder's achievements...because let's face it, he delivered more than we could have ever expected.

I do however feel that it turned sour when we hit the top flight and i'm not willing to blame covid either.

It is well documented that Wilder had a limited budget, but to be fair it was probably comparable to Hecky's.... and I see way more logic in our current managers recruitment processes.

Hecky knows that the task is huge and he know that he doesn't have a big cheque to play with. But he has assessed every area of the squad, he has identified where we need serious improvement and he has worked with all of the relevant people in the club to deliver a good balance of quality and quantity.

I also believe that knilly is regularly forgotten as well.... he provided a great deal of the brains behind our tactical successes.

For me.... Hecky is surpassing Wilder in terms of Premier League approach.

To begin with you must be hoping that we do so badly that Heckingbottom gets sacked, that in itself is rather sad.
Even if Heckingbottom did go, why do you think the club would go back to CW.
Getting rid of Hecky would be a HUGE mistake.

As would replacing him with CW

It’s good to see us getting better value in the transfer market but I don’t think it’s a great thing in general that the Premier League hoovers up the best talent across the world.

It’s good to see us getting better value in the transfer market but I don’t think it’s a great thing in general that the Premier League hoovers up the best talent across the world.
It won't last for long, we will develop that talent then they will all clear off to the Saudi League.

Back
Top Bottom