Have i missed something re Archer?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If we are as good as down January there's an argument to send him back then as he ain't going to be our player next season? We probably can't but you'd be better playing Brewster, Osula, Traore and lads who will be here.

Do wonder how arsed he will be towards the end of the season when he knows we won't be his employer much longer? Maybe he will be professional but not sure he's going to risk injury etc. Ironically he goes back to Villa and they will send him back on a Champ loan probably to a team competing for promotion!

I did worry about this scenario when on the surface seemed a good deal and one we would not lose out financially.

If we are as good as down January there's an argument to send him back then as he ain't going to be our player next season? We probably can't but you'd be better playing Brewster, Osula, Traore and lads who will be here.

Do wonder how arsed he will be towards the end of the season when he knows we won't be his employer much longer? Maybe he will be professional but not sure he's going to risk injury etc. Ironically he goes back to Villa and they will send him back on a Champ loan probably to a team competing for promotion!

I did worry about this scenario when on the surface seemed a good deal and one we would not lose out financially.

Not a bad idea, but assuming that spending to buy him back in Jan would negatively impact their FFP which Villa have worked so hard to reduce.

Think we're stuck with him for better or worse until end of season.

Agree with a buy back clause if where relegated, so we're protected financially and Villa keep their highly rated player.

Maybe the commentator see us as 100% relegated already, so it effectively becomes like a 1 year loan.
Been disappointed with Archers body language, reminds me abit of when Sharp played for us.

You have to play the ball to his feet or link up with him, so he can run into space.
However most of the time we're just lumped it front and saying "chase that", we used to do the same with Sharp and he didn't stand a chance.
A Villa fan posted in here saying that Villa have FFP worries and see what he said below.

I think the FFP people will see this as a loophole and I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the rules to prevent clubs from doing this going forward. It is a cracking deal for a newly promoted club and allows the parent club to fudge their FFP numbers. A genuinely win win transfer. So hats off to whoever between Sheffield United and Villa came up with the idea.

I keep seeing posts on him going back to Villa next season. Thought we had signed him on a permanent and not a loan.
Not sure what to make of it but after seeing him so far i don't think he would be a big miss should he go back next season.
I reckon Jebbo could step up and with Brewster hopefully getting fit then we should be ok for a promotion push.
Jebbo

I wouldn’t be surprised if Wilder hasn’t had him to one side and asked him what his thoughts are regarding staying next season in the Championship.

He might have decided that if it’s not happening then he may as well use him as a bit part player and focus on those we’ll still have.

Alternatively I’m talking bollocks and he just thought BBD and Osula were a better pairing against West Ham.

Villa linked with another 2 young forwards from championship in Rowe and Roger’s.
Would imagine he’ll be back to Villa and then straight back out to Leeds/Ipswich depending on who gets promoted.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Wilder hasn’t had him to one side and asked him what his thoughts are regarding staying next season in the Championship.

He might have decided that if it’s not happening then he may as well use him as a bit part player and focus on those we’ll still have.

Alternatively I’m talking bollocks and he just thought BBD and Osula were a better pairing against West Ham.
Diaz was brought in to play that left sided role and he looked good. Archer will be a bit of a back up, I guess for McAtee and Diaz

Why? He’s not going to be here next year regardless. It’s not a choice, it’s a set in stone contract that Archer returns to Villa if we go done.

Personally I don’t see any point in playing him now, when we can play our own players who are just as effective.

Archer is our best striker. Most composure in front of goal by far. None of our other players comes close to his shooting abilities.

Depending on the oppo the ideal front 3 would be same as West Ham but with Archer instead of Osula starting.

Diaz, ————Archer, ————Mcatee
—— Brooks — Souza — Hamer — —

Osuala and Mcburnie on bench depending on who we play.

He's quality. But it's almost like Wilder is just taking his time to size up the squad, establish systems. Nowt wrong with that. No one should be a guaranteed starter.

Archer is our best striker. Most composure in front of goal by far. None of our other players comes close to his shooting abilities.

Depending on the oppo the ideal front 3 would be same as West Ham but with Archer instead of Osula starting.

Diaz, ————Archer, ————Mcatee
—— Brooks — Souza — Hamer — —

Osuala and Mcburnie on bench depending on who we play.

As you say, Archer is our most lethal finisher.

However hes not as fast as Osula if we're wanting our striker to sit on the shoulder of the defensce and play on the counter.

Nor is he as good at holding the ball up as Mcburnie if we want a bit more build up to our attacks.

So is being our best finisher enough on its own? This he suits more playing with a 2 up front tbh...

However hes not as fast as Osula if we're wanting our striker to sit on the shoulder of the defensce and play on the counter.

Nor is he as good at holding the ball up as Mcburnie if we want a bit more build up to our attacks.

So is being our best finisher enough on its own? This he suits more playing with a 2 up front tbh...
As per Boro, he was up there with Akpom and Ramsey.

A couple of people have said on here that Archer's hold-up play is suspect.
I disagree - despite often having two defenders on him on Sunday he always seemed to emerge with the ball. Great control, great composure.
I also think he's just as fast as, if not faster than, Osula.

Little point in just being a good finisher when we don't put chances on a plate for strikers. Most the time they have to work for them.

I keep seeing posts on him going back to Villa next season. Thought we had signed him on a permanent and not a loan.
Not sure what to make of it but after seeing him so far i don't think he would be a big miss should he go back next season.
I reckon Jebbo could step up and with Brewster hopefully getting fit then we should be ok for a promotion push.
This is where your argument falls down.

Why? He’s not going to be here next year regardless. It’s not a choice, it’s a set in stone contract that Archer returns to Villa if we go done.

Personally I don’t see any point in playing him now, when we can play our own players who are just as effective.
Villa have better strikers than Archer, if we really wanted to I’m sure we could keep him. Financially I’m guessing it doesn’t work for us though and probably not for him either.

Osula will be better than Archer by the time he's 22 and has more game experience. I'd rather keep Archer next season but we've got a couple of good young players in that position already especially if we can get Jebbo to stay

If archer wants to make it as a premier league player he will have to reinvent himself as an attacking midfielder of some sort as a striker he has one hell of a dig on him but is not strong quick or clever enough to play at that level. He is just too easy to defend against

Villa have better strikers than Archer, if we really wanted to I’m sure we could keep him. Financially I’m guessing it doesn’t work for us though and probably not for him either.
There is absolutely no option to “negotiate keeping him”. He will automatically go back. The only way we could keep him would be to negotiate an entirely new transaction.

There is absolutely no option to “negotiate keeping him”. He will automatically go back. The only way we could keep him would be to negotiate an entirely new transaction.
That’s what I’m suggesting

Agree. I think he has attributes of both Osula and Mcburnie with better shooting abilities. He’s quick enough but not as fast & powerful as Osula, and he has good link up play, but not as good as Mcburnie and doesn’t have his aerial threat. He’s a compromise on the qualities that those lads bring, sits somewhere in the middle but with the addition of being far more composed in front of goal in my opinion.

A couple of people have said on here that Archer's hold-up play is suspect.
I disagree - despite often having two defenders on him on Sunday he always seemed to emerge with the ball. Great control, great composure.
I also think he's just as fast as, if not faster than, Osula.
Agree, archer uses his body well and has good feet. I’ve watched him skin defenders a few times this season. Despite the fact we gave him nothing to work with for the first half of the season. A fair few times he’s worked his socks off to create chances for himself.

Most of these comments would be totally different if they'd seen him play for us at championship level

If we can keep him here next season then we should, as a priority

Him, McBurnie, Osula and hopefully Brereton would be a title winning strikeforce

Back
Top Bottom