Harry's Runs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

RealMcCoy

Reaction score
Like many on here, I've really loved watching Harry Maguire grow into his role since his very first appearance. And again, like many, I've thought his youth and inexperience showed with some of the early mistakes he made, but these have got less and less with time and we've been able to see his confidence grow week by week year by year.
Like many posters, I've wanted him to be good enough for the top flight but I've always thought he didn't have quite enough to make it, that he lacked pace and also lacked any real quality in the ball playing skills that would be needed to take him to the top.
I have to say in the last month I've begun to rethink this view. Clough has obviously given Harry encouragement to go much further forward in open play, and the few times he's made those runs recently, he's really opened up the opposition right down the middle! As long as he picks his time carefully (yesterday he glanced/nodded at Collins before he set off, just by way of making sure he would be covered), he has enough ball control and has looked powerful and strong and threatening all the way to the opposition box. As long as he then picks the right pass or even shot, these occasional runs could be really devastating. Even if they don't result in a score, they force the opposition to defend differently and thereby potentially create more space for our wider players.
Yesterday's pass was intercepted and revealed the potential danger when Harry is too far forward (he's not the fastest at getting back) but I think his runs are inspirational and really get the crowd on the edge of their seats.
I think Harry is still growing as a player. Even his footwork in the 6 yard box yesterday when he managed to hold off the defender and turn for the shot was good (just don't want to see him have to do too much of that in defence).
Maybe he can go all the way? Let's hope he does it with us!

Back
Top Bottom