Hamer - Next Season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tony_Kaufman

Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's
Reaction score
I hope we can keep this lad next season as a partner for Arblaster. He got off to a slow and indifferent start but he's had 5 goals and 7 assists in 35 games. That's not bad for a lad playing for this awful team that regularly see only 25% of possession.

That's an average of creating or scoring a goal every 2.91 games. That's pretty good in the bigger picture.

The only player who can beat that is McBurnie with a goal or assist every 2.55 games.

I'd still take Hamer over McBurnie as he played 34 out of 35 games, as opposed to only 23 games.

Last season Hamer scored 10 and got 9 assists for Coventry in 41 games, a contribution every 2.15 games, so he's more than capable of hitting that kind of form again in the Championship or better, now that he's had a season of top flight football behind him.

We really need to be keeping him if we want to be in the top half of the table, him and Arblaster with a decent player in the mould of Tommy Doyle would be a very strong midfield.

The problem will be the movement (of lack thereof) ahead of him without MGW, Didzy or Ndiaye to male themselves available for the ball.

I hope we can keep this lad next season as a partner for Arblaster. He got off to a slow and indifferent start but he's had 5 goals and 7 assists in 35 games. That's not bad for a lad playing for this awful team that regularly see only 25% of possession.

That's an average of creating or scoring a goal every 2.91 games. That's pretty good in the bigger picture.

The only player who can beat that is McBurnie with a goal or assist every 2.55 games.

I'd still take Hamer over McBurnie as he played 34 out of 35 games, as opposed to only 23 games.

Last season Hamer scored 10 and got 9 assists for Coventry in 41 games, a contribution every 2.15 games, so he's more than capable of hitting that kind of form again in the Championship or better, now that he's had a season of top flight football behind him.
His slow start coincided with Hecky being manager. I for one was quite critical about Hamer as he just didn’t seem to have a position and ghosted through games.

I think we have seen the huge improvement since Wilder has come in and now a further enhancement with a midfield partner with Blaster.

I hope we keep them both for 2 seasons, as now to really fix our midfield for a championship charge we need one good left footed centre midfielder then 1 or 2 bench players. To give us a perfect championship midfield. We have Osborn / Davies to compliment them.

But we shouldn’t be even looking at selling those two not whilst we have parachute money inbound.

Definitely has some good offensive qualities. My only issue with him is he can be wasteful in possession. He is one of the reasons for why we average 20-30% possession. Often he tries to force progressive passes that aren't on instead of playing it simple and keeping the ball. Great when it comes off but i would say he loses is a lot more often than keeping it. He just needs to be a little more composed and selective of when to play those killer balls.

We really need to be keeping him if we want to be in the top half of the table, him and Arblaster with a decent player in the mould of Tommy Doyle would be a very strong midfield.

The problem will be the movement (of lack thereof) ahead of him without MGW, Didzy or Ndiaye to male themselves available for the ball.
Absolutely this. The one coincidence between our two Championship promotion seasons was having the best No 10 in the League who could single handedly win us tight games. Without Nidiaye and Didzy (and MGW for the playoff season) I'm really worried about how we're going to create enough chances to win games..

Definitely has some good offensive qualities. My only issue with him is he can be wasteful in possession. He is one of the reasons for why we average 20-30% possession. Often he tries to force progressive passes that aren't on instead of playing it simple and keeping the ball. Great when it comes off but i would say he loses is a lot more often than keeping it. He just needs to be a little more composed and selective of when to play those killer balls.
But in the PL this happens and you don’t get the ball back for a minute. I’ve watched some of Wednesdays games recently (I’m sorry) the standard is so poor. Some of the players struggle with very basic abilities in possession.

Hamer would be able to do this over and over again until it works. Without the threat of conceding.

But in the PL this happens and you don’t get the ball back for a minute. I’ve watched some of Wednesdays games recently (I’m sorry) the standard is so poor. Some of the players struggle with very basic abilities in possession.

Hamer would be able to do this over and over again until it works. Without the threat of conceding.
I agree, conceding possession is part of the game. Its just the speed and volume at which we do it. Hamer is a serial offender sadly. If we have ambitions of returning to the prem then its something he needs to work on. Berge, Doyle and Arblaster (although early days) are good examples of players we’ve had who do the simple well but also know when to play that killer ball. The balance is off with Hamer and he rushes the ball and loses it frequently. I rate his recent performances . He just needs to learn when those balls are on to take his game to the next level IMO.

Like you say, in the championship, the threat of losing the ball is much less concerning. Still just needs to be a bit calmer and more patient sometimes.

I agree, conceding possession is part of the game. Its just the speed and volume at which we do it. Hamer is a serial offender sadly. If we have ambitions of returning to the prem then its something he needs to work on. Berge, Doyle and Arblaster (although early days) are good examples of players we’ve had who do the simple well but also know when to play that killer ball. The balance is off with Hamer and he rushes the ball and loses it frequently. I rate his recent performances . He just needs to learn when those balls are on to take his game to the next level IMO.

Like you say, in the championship, the threat of losing the ball is much less concerning. Still just needs to be a bit calmer and more patient sometimes.
I do agree. But often in games we are 2-1 down and we need to do something. He is the only one who breaks the lines with the passes and takes the more risky balls.

I understand your frustration but I think with a better balanced side it would be much improved. We need a left footed midfielder in there with him and Blaster. Doesn’t need to be wild attacking just a good footballer (a fit TD would be alright) but we need a left sided midfielder. I think would improve the midfield which I think is arguably the strongest in the championship next season.

We need better ball playing centre halves. Watched Mepham against us and he was so calm and collected on the ball. We just don’t have that we panic and it goes. Some of it I think is confidence is shot and others is just general lack of ball playing ability Trusty and Anel. It’s hard to really control possession when we are do disjointed in that department.

I do agree. But often in games we are 2-1 down and we need to do something. He is the only one who breaks the lines with the passes and takes the more risky balls.

I understand your frustration but I think with a better balanced side it would be much improved. We need a left footed midfielder in there with him and Blaster. Doesn’t need to be wild attacking just a good footballer (a fit TD would be alright) but we need a left sided midfielder. I think would improve the midfield which I think is arguably the strongest in the championship next season.

We need better ball playing centre halves. Watched Mepham against us and he was so calm and collected on the ball. We just don’t have that we panic and it goes. Some of it I think is confidence is shot and others is just general lack of ball playing ability Trusty and Anel. It’s hard to really control possession when we are do disjointed in that department.
Agree. More composure in the team then we can afford Hamer to be that risk taker for us. That would feel more balanced.

Hamer, Arblaster and someone who can tackle and do the donkey work let those two play
Peck is that kind of player but he's not ready for the Championship yet. He needs a loan move and needs to bulk up.

weve 4 good midfielders for our championship squad hamer arblaster davies and brooks but its a bit lightweight we need some physicality in there as well choudray at leicester and palmer at coventry would be my choices if we could get em

Agree. More composure in the team then we can afford Hamer to be that risk taker for us. That would feel more balanced.
Risk and reward is what it seems to be called. !
As has been said prem is a beast we cannot cope with the physicality,athletism and quality of the division.
We have been punished unmercifully players are shell shocked which really started with the 0-8 thrashing by toon as soon as we concede the scars of that first drubbing comes back to haunt us and 30mins later we are 3-4 down ! .We had no chance really from game 1!
Heckie had no real budget to work with and I think he didn't realise how physical the prem has become.
He spent what he had on gambles from abroad and not one has given us much at all, no leaders or physicality from them ,doo med from day 1.
Might sound daft but in someways we have a better squad than that relegated last time,younger players with more quality .The balance is not there and we just collapse last time we didn't take any battering apart from Leicester ! the team functioned better just not enough quality.
I think Wilder has some budget hopefully he spends it better than Heckie did.

One of few players to have grown in to the season.

Agree he would be a terrific asset next season if we can keep him.

I fear the Leeds will get him if promoted though !!!

UTB
A few clubs would be interested but what fee could we ask? £20M - £25M plus add-ons seems reasonable - long contract, has great stats in a poor team and now has Premier League experience.
Was MGW much better when he was sold for £25M+?
Then the next question is - at that price do we sell him to get everything else straight?
If we can get something back for Souza, Anel, Slimane and Traore and buy BBD and 4/5 other first team players, then add 4 good loans....would we take that??

weve 4 good midfielders for our championship squad hamer arblaster davies and brooks but its a bit lightweight we need some physicality in there as well choudray at leicester and palmer at coventry would be my choices if we could get em
Or Morton who is on loan at Hull currently.

I agree about the left footed midfielder. Someone who can play alongside Arblaster, help him dominate possession but also put a foot in. I don't think we could do much better than Alex Mowatt on a free. Hardly the ideal physical specimen but undoubtedly a very good footballer and actually has very good tackling stats

Arblaster, Mowatt and Hamer would be an outstanding midfield trio, just with our usual size/athleticism trade off

In which case we should aim to compensate with more physicality at CB and probably LWB as well as having McBurnie or similar up top

It really isn't hard to envisage a very decent team next season. Keep Arblaster and Hamer, and make 2 or 3 good yet inexpensive signings and we basically already have a top end starting 11

I agree about the left footed midfielder. Someone who can play alongside Arblaster, help him dominate possession but also put a foot in. I don't think we could do much better than Alex Mowatt on a free. Hardly the ideal physical specimen but undoubtedly a very good footballer and actually has very good tackling stats

Arblaster, Mowatt and Hamer would be an outstanding midfield trio, just with our usual size/athleticism trade off

In which case we should aim to compensate with more physicality at CB and probably LWB as well as having McBurnie or similar up top

It really isn't hard to envisage a very decent team next season. Keep Arblaster and Hamer, and make 2 or 3 good yet inexpensive signings and we basically already have a top end starting 11
Agree. Mowatt / Lewis O’Brien think would be our best bet. Although im sure there are others. But agree someone to give some balance and to be a bit of an all rounder.

It's strange how we all see things differently.

Your assessmernt of Hamer and his goals and assists 'That's not bad for a lad playing for this awful team that regularly see only 25% possession'.

Yesterday a poster (I cannot 100% remember who) commenting on Arblaster wasn't totally convinced by his performances and wished to hold judgement due to the fact he was playing alongside crap players.

That's football, opinions differ.

I wish I could find that post.

His slow start coincided with Hecky being manager. I for one was quite critical about Hamer as he just didn’t seem to have a position and ghosted through games.

I think we have seen the huge improvement since Wilder has come in and now a further enhancement with a midfield partner with Blaster.

I hope we keep them both for 2 seasons, as now to really fix our midfield for a championship charge we need one good left footed centre midfielder then 1 or 2 bench players. To give us a perfect championship midfield. We have Osborn / Davies to compliment them.

But we shouldn’t be even looking at selling those two not whilst we have parachute money inbound.
Didn't the Prince take a loan out on the promise of the para money?

Agree. Mowatt / Lewis O’Brien think would be our best bet. Although im sure there are others. But agree someone to give some balance and to be a bit of an all rounder.
They seem quite obvious targets for Wilder. Brooks would also relieve pressure on this LCM to play 40+ games - OBrien and Mowatt have made less appearances than average the last 2 seasons, so 30 starts or so may suit them. 20 or so starts might be about right for Brooks. It would be nice to have this kind of situation where you can ensure whoever starts will be fresh, without much of a drop in quality

Suspect Hamer would need some confidence we're going to have a more than decent squad next season to stay.
If there's an offer from the Prem he's probably offski.

A few clubs would be interested but what fee could we ask? £20M - £25M plus add-ons seems reasonable - long contract, has great stats in a poor team and now has Premier League experience.
Was MGW much better when he was sold for £25M+?
Then the next question is - at that price do we sell him to get everything else straight?
If we can get something back for Souza, Anel, Slimane and Traore and buy BBD and 4/5 other first team players, then add 4 good loans....would we take that??
This is SU you know.

If he wants to retain his PL status and digs his heals in as, in all probability, Anel and Vini will be doing, our money back is the best we could hope for !!

Remember, most of our player contracts have relegation clauses in them where salaries drop somewhere between 20%-30%.

Cost of living for these lads must be a challenge 😂.

UTB

I am not particularly worried about him going this summer. We will be wanting more than others can offer and they will be confident they could get him cheaper next year if we are still down.

Other than the soon to be promoted sides I don't see anyone in for him

Back
Top Bottom