Great Blades Penalty Takers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Rodley

Reaction score
Any spring to mind? Saw a thread on twitter.

I’d have James Beattie and Nick Blackman from recent times. Always remember Dane Whitehouse being decent from the spot and John Pemberton?

Beattie and Duffield are the best I can recall in the last 35 years. Morris also apparently took a good pen but my recollection of him is missing 2 in one of the first seasons I started going (V Millwall and can't reall the other) so he's sullied his record in my mind!

Morris also apparently took a good pen but my recollection of him is missing 2 in one of the first seasons I started going (V Millwall and can't reall the other) so he's sullied his record in my mind!

Saw him score one at Villa in the 80s but sadly we had to sit on our hands as were in their stand.

Dinno lad Lee Butler was their reserve keeper and got us tickets to sit with player's families/friends. Far from the glitzy WAGs area that might suggest, they had loads of rough young Brummie lads in their squad, who dished out their freebie tickets to some right local pirates. Difficult to keep quiet, especially when you've got a big gob....

Never missed.

For the reet old farts, I'd chuck in Keith Eddy and TK too.

I remember my Dad telling me that about Peter Duffield, never missed for us, and I believe in his career as a whole?

Beattie, Blackman and the underrated from the spot Peter Ndlovu are the best I've seen.

Any spring to mind? Saw a thread on twitter.

I’d have James Beattie and Nick Blackman from recent times. Always remember Dane Whitehouse being decent from the spot and John Pemberton?
TK, Woody & keith Edwards

Um.

Alan Woodward.

End of debate.

pommpey

Have a like for mentioning the wonderful Woody, but he did miss one:

As I said, Duffield never missed:

"In his time at Bramall Lane he made 58 league appearances and scored 16 goals, including a perfect penalty record of 7 scored from 7 taken which is a club record.[3]"

Norwood currently has 100% from 2 taken.
Apart from the one he ballooned over the bar on his debut :)

Going back to TK, I'm going to attempt a 'Silent' and can vaguely remember a real pressure penalty he took, I think, away at Tranmere in the 4th Division promotion season run-in. If memory serves, he'd missed his last 1, v Mansfield ???, and we were 2-1 down with minutes left, he put it away and we picked up a valuable away point. Over to people with better memories than me (or stats :) )

Apart from the one he ballooned over the bar on his debut :)

Going back to TK, I'm going to attempt a 'Silent' and can vaguely remember a real pressure penalty he took, I think, away at Tranmere in the 4th Division promotion season run-in. If memory serves, he'd missed his last 1, v Mansfield ???, and we were 2-1 down with minutes left, he put it away and we picked up a valuable away point. Over to people with better memories than me (or stats :) )
Sorry I wasn't counting shoot-outs, but fair play :)

One people forget but had a good record (can't remember him missing one) - Mitch Ward. Took over when Whitehouse missed a couple I think.

Duffield for me, Beattie took a good penalty, but did miss a couple for us, v Blackpool & Leicester.

Bobby Ford also took a decent penalty similar style to Duffield's.

Never thought Duffield would miss when he was on them.

As truly terrible a player as he was, I also had the same confidence whenever Chris Porter was about to take them.

I’m sure I remember Kenworthy being good at pens.....he had a swagger/ confidence and used to blast them in the corners.

Also remember Colin Morris being really good....he used to calmly “pass“ the ball into the bottom corner.....made it look so easy.

I’m from the days of TC and Woodward... but there has not been a better penalty taker than James Beattie.

Arrogant, confident, and a unique technique as described by EddieColquhounsLeg earlier; back to the goal - walk away a few steps, then without a pause, spin round run up and score. Always made me laugh at loud.

Back
Top Bottom