Grbic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

His kicking is atrocious, and he, like Wes seems to think in slow motion, I suggested getting Butland last season, he would have been available for what Wilder paid for Grbik

Ramsdale arguably had a weak defence in front of him, but the defence has mostly been a lot stronger in the past weeks, Wes has probably suffered the most this season
Agreed. Didn't Rammers have Ampadu and Bryan infront of him aswell? 🫣

Even with my rudimentary understanding of Xg, it is basically over a goal a game which he should have saved.
  1. Wes Foderingham has conceded 59 goals in 2,198 minutes, stopping 64% of shots on target faced and conceding just about as many goals as expected (59 vs 59.34).
  2. Grbic prevents fewer shots on average. The Croatian has conceded almost half a goal more per 90 (3.05 per game) than Wes Foderingham (2.58) – even considering a small sample size, that looks pretty shocking.
  3. fact, given that the expected goals against tally for Grbic is 10.19, it is pretty harrowing to see his goals conceded tally being 18 and not surprising then that we haven’t won a game with him in net.

Stats are damning

He will be fine as a backup keeper.
On their second goal a decent left back doesn’t let Madueke get anywhere near our goal to get the shot off, really poor from Trusty for me. Watched it back on MOTD and their lad is very close to the goal when he shoots and it was powerful into the top corner so I dont think many keepers are saving that.
Just seen their second goal back for the first time.

At the game from the SS I assumed it had taken a deflection the way Grbic went to his right and the ball in to his left.

It was much worse than I thought. Even if he anticipated the shot going that way, that's on him. For a keeper to not make a genuine effort to try to stop that shot is really poor.

I see Paddy is even criticising him in a roundabout way now so it's not just us laymen.
Usually a decent player waits for the goalkeeper to make a move before selecting what side of the goal to put it…Grbic tries to bamboozle everyone by not moving at all.

That's a very small sample size compared with the rest of the list, but even so, those numbers are scarily bad.

Basically we should have picked up several more points than we have in the Grbic era. Statistically we'd have conceded 8 fewer goals had Wes been in goal for those 6.6 games. It's entirely possible that would have had us outside the relegation zone.

Let’s put a bloke back in goal for the last few games who has refused to sign a new contract and has been poor all season, great idea. Suddenly everybody seems to have forgot his howlers and how many fans were wanting him dropped. We have a goalie who wants to be here in Grbic, Wes doesn’t. I’m sure slagging Grbic off after every match is the current fashionable thing to do, as there always has to be a player that fans have to slag off, however it won’t help his confidence or his performances. A couple of good games and it will be someone else who will become the current one to slag off.

Quite right, the players should give him a guard of honour onto the pitch and the fans should chant his name for 90 mins.

Def a Balon Dor candidate for next year.

But back on the subject of Grbic. I concur with nearly all posts on here, especially on this particular page.
I don't see many goalkeeping attributes in the fella. He can't kick long, or particularly accurately. Can't catch, punch, or even slap/pat the ball very well. Doesn't come for any corners or crosses. Is too slow to shots wide of him. Positionally he ok-ish.
But for me, the final nail-in-the-coffin was yesterday evening. I was sat behind the goal, slightly to one side, in the BLUT, perfectly in line with him and the shot. It was kciked straight at his starting position. He moved to the right. Some may say expecting the shot across him into his right hand corner, some say (and correctly) that Trusty should have done more, but from where I was sat, I could believe what I'd just seen. It was hit straight at him.
He'll not be good for us next season, He'll not be a decent 2nd choice GK. He is awful. He is not a good keeper. He is very tall, and has his own gloves and boots, but apart from that, I cannot see anything, nothing, that leads me to believe he should be at our club - unless some lamps need replacing in the ceiling of the Platinum Suite.
Whoever gave the go ahead for his signing mate, wants fucking sacking, he's a sack of shite!

In my humble opinion, yes it is.

Like with many positions, goalkeeping has changed somewhat with time. The modern goalie has to be as comfortable with using his feet as he is with using his hands, often acting as an auxiliary defender.

Tracey, Kelly and Rees were all very good keepers, but were also of their time.
First and foremost you’ve got to have shot stopping ability. Distribution is secondary, though essential for top keepers.

Grbic’s stats are frighteningly bad;

I'd like to award the "Agent of the decade" award to his agent, who managed to get this guy transfers to Atletico Madrid and the Premier League version of Sheffield United (though I am aware thats actually a worse level of quality than the Championship version of Sheffield United). Serious skills.

I rarely, if ever jump on a player bashing bandwagon. I just don't think to achieves owt.

However, what I will say, is that Wilder's "he's my number one" comments, on Grbic's arrival, are appearing more and more bizarre.

If there’s more chance of Davies being here next season than Wes I’d stick him in over Grbic.

Like someone’s mentioned, the defence are losing confidence in him and defending deeper and deeper.

Cut your losses United, all 2 million of em ffs

When Wilder came in first spell he quickly identified that we needed a solid keeper. We had struggled for a couple of years with George Long / Simmo / Mark Howard.
Always had good keepers then through the Wilder era Simon Moore, Blackman, Hendo, Ramsdale.
There is no way he’ll persist with gbric

We’d be better off playing an outfield player in goal then we’d at least see some level of organisation and decent distribution.

When Wilder came in first spell he quickly identified that we needed a solid keeper. We had struggled for a couple of years with George Long / Simmo / Mark Howard.
Always had good keepers then through the Wilder era Simon Moore, Blackman, Hendo, Ramsdale.
There is no way he’ll persist with gbric
It’s worth remembering that Ramsdale was (almost) equally woeful for his first several months.

Update on Grbic numbers:

Goals conceded: 19
XG conceded: 10

Shots faced: 45
Saves: 27

Save percentage: 57.4

Brutal numbers. We'd have beaten Fulham and Chelsea with someone competent in goal. Might even have got something at Anfield.

Does he even communicate with team mates? Admittedly I don't watch him for 100 minutes but I can't remember him shouting or organising the defence.
Second half on Sunday he was on the edge of his box shouting and pointing like Norwood on heat. He can't inspire the defence though with his slow thinking and reactions, must make everyone nervous, get Johanson in at season end

Update on Grbic numbers:

Goals conceded: 19
XG conceded: 10

Shots faced: 45
Saves: 27

Save percentage: 57.4

Brutal numbers. We'd have beaten Fulham and Chelsea with someone competent in goal. Might even have got something at Anfield.

It gets worse the more you look. The average post-shot xG of all the shots he's faced is the lowest in the league of any keeper to play meaningful minutes this season (36th out of 38 but the last two keepers have barely played). That essentially means that of all the shots on target when he's been in goal, he has faced ones that are - on average - more likely to be saved than anyone else.

For context, Wes is 5th out of 38 in this category - he faced, on average, the 5th-most difficult shots of any keeper in the PL this season.

We did a shit job of protecting Wes; we've done a decent job of protecting Grbic. He's just performed terribly.

Can't believe the man hours that must have been spent hunting down stats to prove he's not a very good keeper.

Save yourself hours of work and just watch the bloke play. It's immediately obvious he lacks basic athleticism, speed of body and mind, agility and a footballing brain. He reminds me of Peter Shilton when he played on for a couple of seasons when he should have hung up his gloves. Basically, anything within his wing span is saveable, anything low down and within 3 feet of the post or less than a foot under the crossbar is a goal.

I would say both Alan Woodward and Phil Jagielka were better and more trustworthy keepers than this guy.

Can't believe the man hours that must have been spent hunting down stats to prove he's not a very good keeper.

Save yourself hours of work and just watch the bloke play. It's immediately obvious he lacks basic athleticism, speed of body and mind, agility and a footballing brain. He reminds me of Peter Shilton when he played on for a couple of seasons when he should have hung up his gloves. Basically, anything within his wing span is saveable, anything low down and within 3 feet of the post or less than a foot under the crossbar is a goal.

I would say both Alan Woodward and Phil Jagielka were better and more trustworthy keepers than this guy.
Stats are great, and limited. Football fans are over emotional, and sheep like in their opinions. Short term, it's very possible for some nonsense short term opinion to be formed. Statistics go a long way to remove those human biases.

In this case, it appears tat the fans widespread concern is justified.

Back
Top Bottom