Freeman / Wilder / Adkins

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

TonyAgana

Reaction score
From The Star...

When he was placed on the transfer list earlier this season, Kieron Freeman feared the worst. After all, by his own admission, the Sheffield United defender had grown accustomed to feeling like something a manager has discovered stuck to the bottom of their shoe. But, rather than signalling the beginning of the end, what could have been an awkward meeting with Chris Wilder turned out to be a defining moment in Freeman’s career.

“I’ve been treated like s**t at times in the past and I did think ‘here we go again,’” he says. “But when the gaffer spoke to me, he was brilliant. He explained everything, was really open about the situation, and then told me I could still train with the first team. From that moment on, I had the utmost respect for him.”

Respect underpins Freeman’s relationship with Wilder who, only hours after taking charge of the League One club seven months ago, told the 24-year-old he was free to leave Bramall Lane. Twenty-seven games and exactly 31 weeks later, the former Derby County wing-back enters tonight’s game against Coventry City as a regular in United’s starting eleven and determined to repay Wilder for his honesty and faith.

“Because of the way the gaffer treated me, I don’t want to let him down,” Freeman continues. “Lots of people, when they tell you they can go, get you to train with the under-12’s if they’re even bothered about you at all. But right from the get-go, when he said I’d still be working with the lads, I knew I’d be giving him my all. If I’d been shoved aside then, even if I’d been the best trainer at the club, it wouldn’t have mattered because nobody would have seen it. But I worked hard and he put me back in the team.”

It is a measure of Wilder’s belief in Freeman’s ability, and recognition of his own fallibility, that John Brayford was loaned to Burton Albion earlier this term. Brayford, a £1.5m signing from Cardiff City, had been named as one of Wilder’s “dressing room lieutenants” on the eve of the present campaign before, following a series of unconvincing displays, being declared surplus to requirements himself.

Paul Coutts, another player United were initially prepared to trade, has also benefited from Wilder’s forthright but fair-minded approach. The midfielder, who worked with Freeman at the iPro Stadium, failed to impress during the dying embers of Nigel Adkins’ reign. But, after being paired alongside John Fleck, is now one of the first names on United’s team sheet and half of a partnership Wilder describes as the best in the division “bar none.”

“They’re both Scottish, they both understand each other and so the chemistry between them might come from that,” Freeman jokes. “Seriously, Paul was doing it last year as well, I see him ever day in training and people wouldn’t believe how good he is, but things aren’t always as simple as they seem. One of the things the gaffer is really good at is maximising your ability and making sure everybody plays to their strengths. Couttsy’s got different people around him now. Flecky always wants the ball, I want the ball, Duff (Mark Duffy) wants the ball in front of him and so does Laffs (Daniel Lafferty) on the other side. If you’ve only got one player who wants the ball and five who don’t then how does that help him? He has to stop, check and then hear people saying he’s slow or can’t make a decision. But it was never like that at all.”

“Communication is a big thing here now,” Freeman continues. “The gaffer and Knilly (assistant Alan Knill) are really good at that. They’ve given us a way to play and everybody knows, if we don’t want to do it, then we won’t be involved. Last season, I played 20 odd games, got dropped for one or two and then got bombed-out completely. There was no conversation, now communication and that was that. It’s different now though. “We do lots of good work and training is so intense. The gaffer used to be a right back so I’ve got to impress. He’s been putting on quite a few sessions and working on our crossing. I’m going to have to go back and look on You Tube at some of his games because, at the minute, he’s telling us he was a young David Beckham!”

Freeman, Coutts and Fleck, who arrived from City earlier this summer, are almost certain to feature at the Ricoh Arena tonight. United will climb to second in the League One table, level on points with leaders Scunthorpe, if they beat Mark Venus’ side but, regardless of the final result, have already confirmed themselves as genuine promotion contenders. Unlike the squad which, under Adkins’ stewardship, limped to an 11th place finish last term.

“I don’t know if it’s because we trust each other more, trusting in our ability, but for me personally, it’s much more enjoyable coming into work now,” says Freeman. “I think you can see that we’re enjoying what we do. I’d play a game every single day of the week if I could and, with some of the stuff we’re producing, who wouldn’t want to be in a team like this? It must be so hard for the gaffer and Knilly to pick but that’s good for us all.”

His wing back play shouldn't be under estimated.

For the ones that saw Borbokis play wing back there are many similarities.

Freeman has great skill in his feet - actually wasted as a full back.

Just wonder if CW ever takes us to 4 at the back whether Freeman could handle that - but at present, for me, he is one of the 1st on the team sheet.

UTB

Seems a shame TonyAgana that you didn't start a new thread on the Freeman comment:

The gaffer used to be a right back so I’ve got to impress. He’s been putting on quite a few sessions and working on our crossing. I’m going to have to go back and look on You Tube at some of his games because, at the minute, he’s telling us he was a young David Beckham!”

Must say I am still not overly convinced, the system we play certainly suits him but equally he is making me change my mind about him, I have said before that if he plays for us for the rest of the season I will be happy,however IF we go up is he good enough for next season? Suppose we will leave that until next year and to CW.

Seems a shame TonyAgana that you didn't start a new thread on the Freeman comment:
I was going for this...

f7cb2f8404d415cd5700eb55fbe7e1dc.jpg

'They’re both Scottish, they both understand each other and so the chemistry between them might come from that,” Freeman jokes. “Seriously, Paul was doing it last year as well, I see him ever day in training and people wouldn’t believe how good he is, but things aren’t always as simple as they seem. One of the things the gaffer is really good at is maximising your ability and making sure everybody plays to their strengths. Couttsy’s got different people around him now. Flecky always wants the ball, I want the ball, Duff (Mark Duffy) wants the ball in front of him and so does Laffs (Daniel Lafferty) on the other side. If you’ve only got one player who wants the ball and five who don’t then how does that help him? He has to stop, check and then hear people saying he’s slow or can’t make a decision. But it was never like that at all.”'

Hopefully some will read this and see what some of us saw in Coutts last year.

Must say I am still not overly convinced, the system we play certainly suits him but equally he is making me change my mind about him, I have said before that if he plays for us for the rest of the season I will be happy,however IF we go up is he good enough for next season? Suppose we will leave that until next year and to CW.

Think we discussed it before, but he certainly suits the system in this division

I believe your comments are based on what we have all seen in the past with Freeman - you are not alone!

3-5-2 suits our players and in particular players like Freeman - rarely has to defend (near top of league) and his skill level plays dividends when he is near the 18 yard box.

Freeman's role may depend on where CW ultimately sees the team going. By all accounts (and only what I have read/heard) he likes 4 at the back. We saw this early season, but the formation has probably been changed to suit what CW inherited.

Freeman is young enough to learn and in AK may have a decent teacher.

UTB

I always thought he was unlucky to be dropped when Brayford came back from injury..he was doing quite well,and was about our only avenue of attack...Good point about the amount of players who want the ball,it's difficult for our playmakers through recent years with no one showing for the ball,or a lack of threat in behind along with players who can run past people and open the game up..that's why I had sympathy for the likes of McDonald and Baxter in the past.

Freeman/Coutts/Scougall/Wilder

Sammon/Hammond/Woolford/Adkins #unitedtogether

I believe your comments are based on what we have all seen in the past with Freeman - you are not alone!

3-5-2 suits our players and in particular players like Freeman - rarely has to defend (near top of league) and his skill level plays dividends when he is near the 18 yard box.

Freeman's role may depend on where CW ultimately sees the team going. By all accounts (and only what I have read/heard) he likes 4 at the back. We saw this early season, but the formation has probably been changed to suit what CW inherited.

Freeman is young enough to learn and in AK may have a decent teacher.

UTB
The funny thing is most of us feel the same I think regarding Freemans ability going forward but not so sure defensively but to be fair he put in what may be the best tackle of the season a few weeks ago, cannot remember who we were playing but it was early on in the game and they were attacking towards the kop when Freeman came from nowhere and slid in, inside the box and cleared, certainly made me sit up and think

'They’re both Scottish, they both understand each other and so the chemistry between them might come from that,” Freeman jokes. “Seriously, Paul was doing it last year as well, I see him ever day in training and people wouldn’t believe how good he is, but things aren’t always as simple as they seem. One of the things the gaffer is really good at is maximising your ability and making sure everybody plays to their strengths. Couttsy’s got different people around him now. Flecky always wants the ball, I want the ball, Duff (Mark Duffy) wants the ball in front of him and so does Laffs (Daniel Lafferty) on the other side. If you’ve only got one player who wants the ball and five who don’t then how does that help him? He has to stop, check and then hear people saying he’s slow or can’t make a decision. But it was never like that at all.”'

I think the only thing missing from Coutts last season was fitness anyone can see he is technically very gifted, thankfully he seems to be a lot fitter now and over his past injuries.

I always thought he was unlucky to be dropped when Brayford came back from injury..he was doing quite well,and was about our only avenue of attack...Good point about the amount of players who want the ball,it's difficult for our playmakers through recent years with no one showing for the ball,or a lack of threat in behind along with players who can run past people and open the game up..that's why I had sympathy for the likes of McDonald and Baxter in the past.

You had me cheering in the aisles until you said you had sympathy for Baxter. But you can keep the like. :)

It's a great quote from Freeman and he's bang on the money. You can't be a quarterback without wide receivers*.

We all saw what Coutts could be in the Bradford game last year. Never thought he would be this consistent though.

* just for you that Sitters - I wanted a cricket analogy.

You had me cheering in the aisles until you said you had sympathy for Baxter. But you can keep the like. :)
You know what I mean though JD...Pirlo would have struggled with the lack of options we've had at times.

It's a great quote from Freeman and he's bang on the money. You can't be a quarterback without wide receivers*.

We all saw what Coutts could be in the Bradford game last year. Never thought he would be this consistent though.

* just for you that Sitters - I wanted a cricket analogy.

You would've had a like had you used stickball

Couttsy’s got different people around him now. Flecky always wants the ball, I want the ball, Duff (Mark Duffy) wants the ball in front of him and so does Laffs (Daniel Lafferty) on the other side. If you’ve only got one player who wants the ball and five who don’t then how does that help him? He has to stop, check and then hear people saying he’s slow or can’t make a decision. But it was never like that at all.”

A lesson there to all the Paul Coutts haters.

From The Star...

When he was placed on the transfer list earlier this season, Kieron Freeman feared the worst. After all, by his own admission, the Sheffield United defender had grown accustomed to feeling like something a manager has discovered stuck to the bottom of their shoe. But, rather than signalling the beginning of the end, what could have been an awkward meeting with Chris Wilder turned out to be a defining moment in Freeman’s career.

“I’ve been treated like s**t at times in the past and I did think ‘here we go again,’” he says. “But when the gaffer spoke to me, he was brilliant.
etc. etc.

I think the only thing missing from Coutts last season was fitness anyone can see he is technically very gifted, thankfully he seems to be a lot fitter now and over his past injuries.

It's amazing what a decent manager, system and players around a guy can do. Adkins wouldn't know a decent player/how to utilise him properly if one smacked him in the face. The next time a player appears to be struggling, it might not be entirely his fault. Pre-match View from Coventry:

“Fleck to pass one forward just so he can say he has done it once during his time at the Ricoh, I will boo him with great pleasure on Thursday night.”

“was never that keen on Fleck, I always felt he played within himself, but last season he was class and our midfield is worse for not having him and Vincelot in it.”

A lesson there to all the Paul Coutts haters.
Are there any left? I think most people accepted he was technically gifted but questioned either his attitude or his fitness. Personally, I thought the injuries had taken their toll and that he'd struggle to play in a CW team. He's proved me entirely wrong on that score, after a proper pre-season, and with a manager who knows how to use him properly.

etc. etc.

It's amazing what a decent manager, system and players around a guy can do. Adkins wouldn't know a decent player/how to utilise him properly if one smacked him in the face. The next time a player appears to be struggling, it might not be entirely his fault. Pre-match View from Coventry:

“Fleck to pass one forward just so he can say he has done it once during his time at the Ricoh, I will boo him with great pleasure on Thursday night.”

“was never that keen on Fleck, I always felt he played within himself, but last season he was class and our midfield is worse for not having him and Vincelot in it.”

You mean like that sack of crap Billy Sharp? Who under the likes of Blackwell, Robson and the god that is Neil Warnock could barely get any goals out of him.

Adkins made some major mistakes last season with us but he landed some decent players in his time as manager.

You mean like that sack of crap Billy Sharp? Who under the likes of Blackwell, Robson and the god that is Neil Warnock could barely get any goals out of him.

Adkins made some major mistakes last season with us but he landed some decent players in his time as manager.

Most of his good players at Scunthorpe and Southampton he inherited. Which decent players did he land at his 4 clubs?

Most of his good players at Scunthorpe and Southampton he inherited. Which decent players did he land at his 4 clubs?

Yes he inherited the lot and all of his promotions were pure fluke. Any of us could have got those teams promoted.

Which special players did he already have at lowly Scunny by the way? I never knew they had Ronaldo on the books there.

With Adkins his methods and style of management worked at Scunthorpe and Southampton, but his spell at Reading was not as good, and his stint at the Lane was a total unmitigated disaster. He rightfully got sacked, and we finally brought in someone who has got to grips with a lot of the long standing problems. We've moved on.

What Freeman has had to say alludes to a change of manager being beneficial to his career and the career of others, and emphasises how the appointment of Wilder has been good for him and several other players.

Are there any left? I think most people accepted he was technically gifted but questioned either his attitude or his fitness. Personally, I thought the injuries had taken their toll and that he'd struggle to play in a CW team. He's proved me entirely wrong on that score, after a proper pre-season, and with a manager who knows how to use him properly.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Coutts had won most people over during Adkins' term. No mean feat, looking back! Let it go mattbianco1 :D

I'll admit, I didn't see what he was doing in training every week. Quite tough to really expect the majority of fans to turn up to training on a weekly basis...

Yes he inherited the lot and all of his promotions were pure fluke. Any of us could have got those teams promoted.

Which special players did he already have at lowly Scunny by the way? I never knew they had Ronaldo on the books there.

Ronaldo? Wow, you are a funny guy.

He inherited the Keogh-Sharp partnership at Scunny and at Southampton, Kelvin Davis, Harding, Puncheon, Fonte, Lambert, Llana and Oxlaide-Chamberlain which is not bad for League One.

Someone on here listed his career signings when he became our boss and I was instantly worried. The directors at Southampton, Reading and ourselves weren't impressed with his signings as you seem to be.

Ronaldo? Wow, you are a funny guy.

He inherited the Keogh-Sharp partnership at Scunny and at Southampton, Kelvin Davis, Harding, Puncheon, Fonte, Lambert, Llana and Oxlaide-Chamberlain which is not bad for League One.

Someone on here listed his career signings when he became our boss and I was instantly worried. The directors at Southampton, Reading and ourselves weren't impressed with his signings as you seem to be.

And i forgot Morgan Schneiderlin. Some League One team.

I read this, and wondered why he was even worse under Clough

I'm a big fan now, you may notice. And now's all that matters to us all.

Back
Top Bottom