Freeman for midfield?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Grappler

Reaction score
Once Brayford comes back, I think NA could do a lot worse than to put Freeman into the middle of the park. He can tackle, run, dribble, pass and shoot. I would have him there over Scougall any day of the week.

Definitely not! Defenders play in defence, midfielders play in midfield.

Next question.....

Definitely not! Defenders play in defence, midfielders play in midfield.

Next question.....

He played midfield for Nottingham Forest and his early Derby games, it was Clough who put him in at right back when he needed cover in the position later on at Derby and Clough did the same here, although he did bring im off the bench as a winger in a couple of games.

He gets further forward than most of our midfield players, if you were at Oldham on Saturday you will know what I mean.

I was at Oldham and have been at all but 2 of this season's matches.

Freeman has played RM previously but not CM and certainly not AMC.

It might be worth a try. I think we should try and accommodate him somewhere as he's been one of the better players this season.

Sometimes these moves just don't work bc the player lacks positional instincts, as per the old thread on Edgar in midfield and Bergen's analysis of Bash's role on Satdi.

Unlikely unfortunately, different skills sets. If we do go back to 4-4-2 then he's centennially an option in the wing.

I was at Oldham and have been at all but 2 of this season's matches.

Freeman has played RM previously but not CM and certainly not AMC.

He played central midfield for 10-15 minutes at Crawley last season, and did well. He then played right midfield for the entire second half and also did well.

Once Brayford comes back, I think NA could do a lot worse than to put Freeman into the middle of the park. He can tackle, run, dribble, pass and shoot. I would have him there over Scougall any day of the week.
I'd play him down the right mid like last season - not good enough for the middle in my opinion

I wouldn't be adverse to this. He's a good footballer.

How many want that Midfield man Basham to play CB?

If Hammond "does" actually come in, then it might be an option.

For me, Bash is a midfielder - looked good in a 5, but not quite so much in a 4, but as it is a new role he is learning then he needs more time.

Bash reads the game better than anyone else we have (except Billy now) so his role at CH has always seemed half decent.

After having seen Mcgahey for half a game v Rochdale and the apparent decent game he had v Oldham, perhaps we "might" have a solution at CH. Against R'dale he looked solid, won the greater majority of headers with great timing and put his foot through the ball (row Z) on two occasions.

Perhaps he is the solution to a problem position - think most of us have to hope someone can step up at CH - why not Mcgahey after 14 months of growing and hopefully of a hunger to lay claim to that position?

UTB

He played midfield for Nottingham Forest and his early Derby games, it was Clough who put him in at right back when he needed cover in the position later on at Derby and Clough did the same here, although he did bring im off the bench as a winger in a couple of games.

He gets further forward than most of our midfield players, if you were at Oldham on Saturday you will know what I mean.
I was at Oldham and Freeman continued to do the things that frustrate me about him. He looks great bombing forward but once there his decision making is generally abysmal and he gives the ball away far too much for me to be a regular in midfield. Not that many of the others make better decisions but that's not a enough to convince me we need to put a square peg in a round hole.

Didn't Matty Done's success come when Rochdale pushed him into the position of front man? He scored 14 goals (in all competions) between 2005 - 2014, and then when they asked him to be striker, he scored 28 goals in 2014 - 2015 (in all competitions) 20 for Rochdale and 8 for SUFC, scord three out of four appearances since his return from injury. Square peg?

When Clough brought Freeman in, I am sure he said the lad could play anywhere across the back four and anywhere across the middle of the park. I could be wrong on that, working from memory.

I am not saying he is the ideal person for that role in midfield, but after sitting watching us play at Port Vale and sitting watching us play at Oldham (and the lovely journey back, lovely scenery, spoiled by football results!) and seeing how utterly weak the midfield was, I just think he is an option.

He is one of our better all round footballers from what I have seen, and will be consigned to the bench once Brayford returns.

I was at Oldham and Freeman continued to do the things that frustrate me about him. He looks great bombing forward but once there his decision making is generally abysmal and he gives the ball away far too much for me to be a regular in midfield. Not that many of the others make better decisions but that's not a enough to convince me we need to put a square peg in a round hole.

I am not saying he is ideal, but played better than our midfield at Port Vale and at Oldham. I just think it would be a shame for him to be sat on the bench when Brayford gets back, if we still play the same midfield players (and you can add Coutts to the mix, because he also has no pace).

Personally would keep Freeman at RB but give Brayford a shot in the middle of the park with Basham moving to CB. Reason being I think Brayford has the better footballing brain and more of a physical presence.

Personally would keep Freeman at RB but give Brayford a shot in the middle of the park with Basham moving to CB. Reason being I think Brayford has the better footballing brain and more of a physical presence.
But i fancy Freeman as a better footballer and that's what's more important in midfield

Back
Top Bottom