Football's greatest upsets- if we beat Man City where would it rank?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Inverness Caledonian Thistle 3 Celtic 2 in Scottish cup 9 years ago. Huge shock. Prompted the next day headline.....

SUPERCALLYWEREFANTASTIC-CELTICWEREATROCIOUS.

Now you mention Scottish football, Aberdeen lost 1-0 to 6th tier side Darvel FC this season.

That’s the equivalent of Alfreton Town knocking a Premier League team out of the FA Cup.

Here's my top 10, just to add a bit of context of other shocks:

1. USA 1-0 England 1950 World Cup
2. Alcorcon 4-1 Real Madrid Copa del Rey
3. Bournemouth 2-0 Manchester United, 1983/84 FA Cup
4. Sutton United 2-1 Coventry City, 1988/89 FA Cup
5. Argentina 0-1 Saudi Arabia 2022 World Cup
6. Calais 3-1 Bordeaux, 2000, French Cup
7. Hereford United 2-1 Newcastle United, 1971/72 FA Cup
8. Chelsea 2-4 Bradford, 2014/15 FA Cup
9. North Korea 1-0 Italy, 1966, FIFA World Cup
10. Northern Ireland 1-0 Spain, 1982, FIFA World Cup

I think the difference between Sheffield United and Manchester City is considerably closer than it was between Alcorcon and Real Madrid for example.

If we were to beat a full strength Man City I think it might reach number 8?
Out of curiosity, number one on your list - what do you know of it to rank it so highly? It was 73 years ago.

Us beating the all conquering Liverpool in 78 is my all time shock result.
Normal service resumed in the next round though...
Was supposed to be back for my final year at boarding school but my dad told that we were on a "family holiday" and would be back to school a week later. I was able to go to the Liverpool, River Plate and Palace matches. Wasnt expecting to see Woody play his last home game for us against Palace!

City have lost 4 out their last 5 games at Wembley, that’s a stat I didn’t expect.

The reason it would be such a big upset is due to the magnitude of the game. Fa cup semi-final.

There’s been loads of giant killings over the years in the early rounds, but it would be a massive shock at this point of the competition.

Look, it’s not about who we’re playing or even the likelihood of a severe hammering. We’ve seriously got to turn up for this one and show the world Sheff United are a club of substance with fans to match. Do a car boot sale, flock your wedding ring, sell the car, remortgage the house…Do what you bloody have to…Just get thi sens to bloody Wembley Blades.

Out of curiosity, number one on your list - what do you know of it to rank it so highly? It was 73 years ago.

It was well before my time of course but a result my late grandfather told me about as a huge shock. He said that most people thought it was a typo in the reports and that England had won 10-1!

The list I compiled in the OP is a reflection of the occasion and gap in quality between teams. In 1950 England were one of the world's best teams and USA were amateurs with no footballing pedigree and it was at a World Cup, hence I've put it as first.

Man City are also currently one of the best teams in the world and we are a championship team. Beating a full strength City team at Wembley in the FA Cup Semi Finals would be up there in the lower reaches of that list imho

Here's my top 10, just to add a bit of context of other shocks:

1. USA 1-0 England 1950 World Cup
2. Alcorcon 4-1 Real Madrid Copa del Rey
3. Bournemouth 2-0 Manchester United, 1983/84 FA Cup
4. Sutton United 2-1 Coventry City, 1988/89 FA Cup
5. Argentina 0-1 Saudi Arabia 2022 World Cup
6. Calais 3-1 Bordeaux, 2000, French Cup
7. Hereford United 2-1 Newcastle United, 1971/72 FA Cup
8. Chelsea 2-4 Bradford, 2014/15 FA Cup
9. North Korea 1-0 Italy, 1966, FIFA World Cup
10. Northern Ireland 1-0 Spain, 1982, FIFA World Cup

I think the difference between Sheffield United and Manchester City is considerably closer than it was between Alcorcon and Real Madrid for example.

If we were to beat a full strength Man City I think it might reach number 8?
I reckon we just sneak in at 10

May 7 1994. Very poor (in football, not wealth) terms Everton v European places chasing Wimbledon. Now that was a shock result.

Senegal beating France 1-0 in 2002 was up there.

Once Wigan went down to ten men I still can't believe they beat Leeds in our promotion season. Unreal

Celtic beat a truly great Barca side 2-0 in 2012 whilst 'enjoying' only 18% possession in the game.

If you like your rearguards, this was a beauty.

In 90/91 Arsenal had won the league, and European cup. Wrexham had finished bottom of the Fourth division, only holding on to their league status because the league wanted to add a 93rd club, so there was no relegation to the conference that year.

They met in the 3rd round of the FA Cup at the Racecourse ground and Wrexham won 2-1.

Yeah this would definitely be up there if we did beat Man City, especially considering what they did to Bayern Munich tonight!

Sunderland, Mid Table in Division 2 beating Don Revie‘s mighty Leeds side in the 1973 cup final is probably regarded as the biggest shock in Wembley history.

I think the gap in quality between City and the top of the Championship is now greater than the gap between Leeds and Sunderland In those days.. I think it would be the biggest shock at Wembley in this competition if we pulled it off.
Bump.

Celtic 1 Partick Thistle 4 in the 1971 Scottish League Cup final. Jim Bone (joined us in 1973) scored the 4th goal

Non-league Wigan beating European Super Powehouse Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 in the FA Cup. Think it was late 70’s.

At the time the Pigs were building a side to rival 1950’s Real Madrid, so quite a shock back then.

Well! The chance’s of anything coming from Mars, is a 1,000,000/1…they said.

The only problem IF we beat them would be that all the coverage would be about how bad City were. The scale of the upset would get lost in the Premier League wank fest and questions asked of whether City are in a crisis.

Our performance would be a footnote on a bad news story for City. It would be an immense effort from us to even take it to extra time. Pundits talk about the magic of the cup being lost all the time, well maybe they should shut the fuck up about how appalling it is when the media darlings lose and give some focus to the team that actually beat them.

The only problem IF we beat them would be that all the coverage would be about how bad City were. The scale of the upset would get lost in the Premier League wank fest and questions asked of whether City are in a crisis.

Our performance would be a footnote on a bad news story for City. It would be an immense effort from us to even take it to extra time. Pundits talk about the magic of the cup being lost all the time, well maybe they should shut the fuck up about how appalling it is when the media darlings lose and give some focus to the team that actually beat them.
So?

Back
Top Bottom