Football's greatest upsets- if we beat Man City where would it rank?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FMBlade1

Reaction score
Here's my top 10, just to add a bit of context of other shocks:

1. USA 1-0 England 1950 World Cup
2. Alcorcon 4-1 Real Madrid Copa del Rey
3. Bournemouth 2-0 Manchester United, 1983/84 FA Cup
4. Sutton United 2-1 Coventry City, 1988/89 FA Cup
5. Argentina 0-1 Saudi Arabia 2022 World Cup
6. Calais 3-1 Bordeaux, 2000, French Cup
7. Hereford United 2-1 Newcastle United, 1971/72 FA Cup
8. Chelsea 2-4 Bradford, 2014/15 FA Cup
9. North Korea 1-0 Italy, 1966, FIFA World Cup
10. Northern Ireland 1-0 Spain, 1982, FIFA World Cup

I think the difference between Sheffield United and Manchester City is considerably closer than it was between Alcorcon and Real Madrid for example.

If we were to beat a full strength Man City I think it might reach number 8?

They lost at home to Brentford before the World Cup break, didn’t they? They’re about 14 places above us in the pyramid. Nobody ever talks about that being a noteable historical upset? Us beating them inbetween two of the biggest games in their entire season, on a neutral ground, in a cup tie that will mean so much to our players……..I don’t think even gets on a top 100 list.

I think the difference between Sheffield United and Manchester City is considerably closer than it was between Alcorcon and Real Madrid for example.

Saudi beat Argies 2-1

Most on that list are early rounds where teams maybe field a weaker side or not taking the game as serious as they should. This is a semi final of, arguably, the most famous club cup competition in the world. Man City will be well and truly up for it. They won't be putting out a weak side. If The Blades win, it will be on that list. It is a game of millionaires against the "peasants" (comparable speaking) Maybe number 1, but I may have a bias.

Most on that list are early rounds where teams maybe field a weaker side or not taking the game as serious as they should. This is a semi final of, arguably, the most famous club cup competition in the world. Man City will be well and truly up for it. They won't be putting out a weak side. If The Blades win, it will be on that list. It is a game of millionaires against the "peasants" (comparable speaking) Maybe number 1, but I may have a bias.

It will not be a weak side, but it will be a weaker side. There's no way City will be fielding a full strength XI for this game sandwiched in between games against Bayern Munich and Arsenal.

Would be a shock but not that big of a shock. We might (afraid to say will) be in the same league next season.

Weakened City team almost certainly, I accept their second string would probably hold it's own in the top flight, but we're not 4 or 5 divisions apart.

Obviously there's no question it would be an upset, but Man City usually lose once a season to a lower ranked prem club, which we could potentially be next season.

City losing 1-0 to Wigan was a far bigger FA Cup shock than blades beating them would be. I don't even mean the cup final, I mean the 5th round game 4-5 years later when Wigan were in League One. Bloody strong team City put out as well.

Not even sure if that's the biggest upset involving Argentina in a world cup
I agree. Being there in the stadium, there was this feeling that something would happen. The way Saudi steamrollered them second half was mightily impressive.

Hungary 6 England 3 in what was described as the match of the century in 1953.
That wasn't a shock to anyone except us, as we were still playing pre-war style football.

A bit like it wasn't exactly a shock when we tried a cavalry charge in the World War 1 and got decimated by machine guns.

Sunderland, Mid Table in Division 2 beating Don Revie‘s mighty Leeds side in the 1973 cup final is probably regarded as the biggest shock in Wembley history.

I think the gap in quality between City and the top of the Championship is now greater than the gap between Leeds and Sunderland In those days.. I think it would be the biggest shock at Wembley in this competition if we pulled it off.

Barnet beating United
Wycombe beating West Brom and Leicester
South Korea beating Italy
Arsenal winning the league at Anfield

Just off the top of my head in 2 mins.

Last edited:

Sunderland, Mid Table in Division 2 beating Don Revie‘s mighty Leeds side in the 1973 cup final is probably regarded as the biggest shock in Wembley history.

I think the gap in quality between City and the top of the Championship is now greater than the gap between Leeds and Sunderland In those days.. I think it would be the biggest shock at Wembley in this competition if we pulled it off.
Wimbledon beating Liverpool is up there

Back
Top Bottom