First reaction when you saw the.... 1995/96 home kit :(

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That proper striped kit was actually brought in during the season, near the end after Kendall took over. So the diamonds didn't last a full season.

I recall Kendall saying something about being very surprised at the kit and that Sheffield United should play in proper red and white stripes, and so the club changed the shirts early.

I don't think that's quite right.

That was back in the days of changing shirts every 2 seasons. I'm sure the diamond kit was dropped after one season and we reverted to stripes. We kept the Yellow/Purple halved away shirt for 2 seasons.

I'm positive we didn't change shirts mid-season.

I don't think that's quite right.

That was back in the days of changing shirts every 2 seasons. I'm sure the diamond kit was dropped after one season and we reverted to stripes. We kept the Yellow/Purple halved away shirt for 2 seasons.

I'm positive we didn't change shirts mid-season.
Wanna pint on it? :D

I might be wrong, but I def remember those comments by Kendall. Trying to rack my brains for games I went to that season after Kendall got appointed. Need to check Sharrowblade's programme collection for pics, but I can't access it at work.

Last edited:
Go on then. :)

We may have played in it for the last game of the season but we didn't change strips mid-season.
Just trying to work out how to check it! Could have sworn we wore it at Leicester.

Yeah I think you do :) , I checked another site with old programmes from 95/96 and all the ones at the end of the season had diamonds. I used to know things like this inside out, grey cells obviously disappearing :(

Rutland pre match any time for that pint ;)

I was a right little kit geek when i was a lad. (Still am if i'm honest.) I always wanted to be a graphical designer and work for Adidas or Umbro.

Around the same time of that hideous 'diamond' shirt, we had a jade green away shirt which I thought was great. Obviously the fluorescent yellow of the Bassett era was perfect for us - the upstarts who liked to turn over bigger teams. And Wednesday.

Of the home shirts, I really liked the lace-up collar thingy. I don't think clubs realise the importance - particularly amongst younger fans - of a decent kit. It can double up as leisure wear if done right. The latest adidas is Ok but, as many others have said, the sponsors logo is a cheap add-on and the adidas logo should have been on the right-hand side. We're meant to be 'consulting the fans' but the lines of communication have broken down on this one.

Around the same time of that hideous 'diamond' shirt, we had a jade green away shirt which I thought was great. Obviously the fluorescent yellow of the Bassett era was perfect for us - the upstarts who liked to turn over bigger teams. And Wednesday.

Of the home shirts, I really liked the lace-up collar thingy. I don't think clubs realise the importance - particularly amongst younger fans - of a decent kit. It can double up as leisure wear if done right. The latest adidas is Ok but, as many others have said, the sponsors logo is a cheap add-on and the adidas logo should have been on the right-hand side. We're meant to be 'consulting the fans' but the lines of communication have broken down on this one.
The jade green shirt was still in the days of Umbro and Laver sponsorship - I've got it in large for some reason - I was only about 13 and I wear a small now! o_O

Edit - here it is if you meant this one - looks blue on the pic!
sheff-utd-94-away_1.jpg

The jade green shirt was still in the days of Umbro and Laver sponsorship - I've got it in large for some reason - I was only about 13 and I wear a small now! o_O

sheff-utd-94-away_1.jpg
Love that! I have a matching Scarf in the cupboard

I liked it. But I was only 11 so it was the coolest thing after Mario Kart

You and me both; it was my 12th birthday present in the September.

Wonder what happened to mine? Probably ended up in Broomhill Oxfam along with the navy blue sash away shirt (that I'd happily buy again if I saw a large on ebay).

sheff-utd-94-away_1.jpg

I think that's my favourite away shirt.

You and me both; it was my 12th birthday present in the September.

Wonder what happened to mine? Probably ended up in Broomhill Oxfam along with the navy blue sash away shirt (that I'd happily buy again if I saw a large on ebay).

I believe the green shirt came in due to fans complaining about the blue shirt. We used the shorts & socks from the blue shirt with the green one.

I believe the green shirt came in due to fans complaining about the blue shirt. We used the shorts & socks from the blue shirt with the green one.
You might be right but I thought we carried on using the blue shirt and the green one was supposedly a third kit and we only wore it once or twice - wager a beer on it? :D :D :D - kidding, can't afford beer.

You might be right but I thought we carried on using the blue shirt and the green one was supposedly a third kit and we only wore it once or twice - wager a beer on it? :D :D :D - kidding, can't afford beer.

I think we're both right here. The green one came in as the away shirt with the blue dropping to 3rd.

someone,(sorry writing on phone and cannot look up who) said it was odd that the worst kit ever was followed by the best ever. Not really a surprise, the flying diamonds design illicited such a poor reaction from the support that I think, we were given a vote out of three different kits for a hasty replacement. The most classic striped shirt won (obviously), I wish it always did.

The dark blue one with green and purple sash was from when we were in the Premier League, as dark kits were all the rage because referees had started wearing green (or dark grey) rather than black. As soon as we went down to Division 1, referees were still wearing black, so our away kit was deemed to be too dark and the green shirt was introduced still using the old away shirts and socks (much like the 96/97 shirt re-used the diamond shirts shorts and socks). I don't think we wore either away shirt much in 94/95, the best memory I have of that jade shirt is someone wearing one on Don't Forget Your Toothbrush rather than anything to do with football.

I had that kit, as you do as a kid.... Think I was 11? It's the one I have that's autographed from all those pre-match, car park autograph huntings... :-/

They sold so few shirts my school were given them to use as a school kit. I thought that was the best thing in the world at the time - playing a football match wearing the best badge in the world, scoring a goal in red & white!

It's now in a bag somewhere with all the other shirts I had as a kid.

Back
Top Bottom