First reaction when you saw the.... 1995/96 home kit :(

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jimmy23

Reaction score
Seen as this forums were not around in the 90s, what was your reaction when you saw that dreadful diamond red and white kit?

My mate Gary showed me the day it came out and my reaction was 'Are you havin a fuking laugh!??'

I was too young when it was released to comment on my first reaction but I think its a neat shirt, but again I don't get any praises for my taste in style... :p

I went and bought it, as I always got the kit in those days. People kept asking me if it was the new Sheffield Eagles kit.

I was too young to really understand how bad it was but I do recall Carl Veart scoring in it against the Arse

I liked it for some reason and ended up getting it.

That said I also got the kits regardless back then of how they looked.

Despite it looking crap it still had the Wards as part of the shirt.

I saw some people wearing it at a distance and assumed it was the new Barnsley (or anyone's) shirt, and had a right chuckle to myself. Never for a moment thought it could be ours. When I realised it was ours I was hugely disappointed, then forced myself to like it cos I was a kid and therefore had to get every home shirt.

We had a poor team, a tired manager, a very dubious chairman, half a ground, and this god-awful kit matched the era.

Saw it in the Green'Un and just thought, yup, this is going to be a terrible season.

I remember liking it at the time of purchase, but quickly disliking it soon after and on reflection years afterwards it seems like one of the worst. A bit like my reaction to Brian Howard.

I didn't like the kit from the year before much (especially the stripey bottoms on the shorts), so didn't think it was that bad, although I was more interested in the yellow and purple away kit at the time.

The diamond shirt is OK really, it's something different, but just not a good home shirt. The best thing about that kit in an era of only having a new kit every two years was that it caused us to have the superb 96/97 shirt to replace it the following season.

Bought it and keep wearing it to Wembley for that retro effect. Oops.

Only 15 at the time so loved it, looking back it was pretty terrible but still better than the Leeds & Man U shite that all the mates were wearing

I was only 11 when we had it so I didn't appreciate how horrendous it was, so I ended up getting it bought for me. Looking back now though, it's the worst shirt we've ever had.

I remember the excitement at the time within the club. McDonald was quoted as saying 'we've won nowt for 70 year in stripes', sounding akin to warren Clarke in Blackadder 3. Godbloddyawful.

I saw it in the Green'Un which I bought at Sheffield on my way from Liverpool to Doncaster. I thought it was a disgrace and wrote to the club.

plus ça change.....

I saw it, didn't like it and I think it was the first blades shirt of my teens that I didn't buy. It was a bloody awful kit

I hated that kit.

I remember hearing or reading at the time that the players hated it too.

It's strange how in consecutive seasons Avec produced probably the most despised home kit we've ever had...and followed it with one of most popular we've ever had. The 1996-7 one is my favourite of the modern era and I know others on here have said the same.

I was excited, because for one season only i got to change the kit on Sensible Soccer from red and white stripes to red and white hoops.

I hated that kit.

It's strange how in consecutive seasons Avec produced probably the most despised home kit we've ever had...and followed it with one of most popular we've ever had. The 1996-7 one is my favourite of the modern era and I know others on here have said the same.

If it had white socks, it would be almost perfect

e0797a8b4c7d4df5bc30be1d987b75fc.jpg

I hated that kit.

That proper striped kit was actually brought in during the season, near the end after Kendall took over. So the diamonds didn't last a full season.

I recall Kendall saying something about being very surprised at the kit and that Sheffield United should play in proper red and white stripes, and so the club changed the shirts early.

I remember going to a cracking 2-0 win at Filbert Street in March 96 and we definitely wore the new kit.

I actually bought the diamonds, but I bought every kit back then, it was undoubtedly horrible.

Back
Top Bottom