FAO Scunthorpe United

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

shame how some clubs have collapsed into oblivion league status wise Scunthorpe being the latest addition
some threaten to return like halifax chesterfield notts county but some struggled a bit more like halifax and York

then darlington oldham chester yeovil torquay bury southend seem to keep on struggling southend hereford dagenham and redbridge kidderminster all ex league
all grounds I have visited in the eighties and nineties except daggers

hopefully soon be able to add Wednesday to this list

I've got a few mates who are Hednesford fans. One of their 'favourite' away days was Barrow on a Tuesday night a few years ago!

They are now in the Southern League Central, which includes Mickleover. Yes, Mickleover play in the 'Southern' league...
Lichfield Blade, didn't know there were any close to me (I'm in Staffs too).

In other words, all but one of the clubs I have mentioned have fallen on even harder times than those in your list!😊

Wrexham (in your list) have never been in the EFL. It wasn't branded as that until 2016. Wrexham left the football league in 2008.

Halifax are still Halifax to their supporters, just as Wednesday are still Wednesday to the poor unfortunates that support them.

BPA folded in the early (or mid) 1970s, but their supporters still consider them to be BPA.

If we fail to go up, fold and then reform under the same name I think most of our supporters will still see us as SUFC.
In other words my list was of National League clubs and only Halifax qualify on that basis :D If we're extending past the National League we should add Chester, Scarborough and Hereford to the list of former league clubs which went bust and reformed.

I didn't know that about BPA. I thought they'd gone bust but couldn't find anything on the cursory search I did.

I've got a few mates who are Hednesford fans. One of their 'favourite' away days was Barrow on a Tuesday night a few years ago!

They are now in the Southern League Central, which includes Mickleover. Yes, Mickleover play in the 'Southern' league...
All being well, Berko will be bringing their talents to Mickleover next season - just the 230 mile round trip. Sooner that though than the league with Truro in it - 295 miles one way for that one. Imagine that for a Tuesday night game. As GEARYstolemyBEER says, the travel is a killer - and I’m just a committee bloke, straight off the coach into the bar - I don;t have to run around for 90 minutes with the prospect of a five hour journey home afterwards.

Lichfield Blade, didn't know there were any close to me (I'm in Staffs too).
I'm not in Lichfield anymore. Actually only spent 18 months there in two spells! Although, I still sing in the cathedral occasionally so it's still relevant to me.
Having spent a few years in Hednesford, I'm now just off the M42 near the Leics/Staffs/Derbys/Warks borders.

All being well, Berko will be bringing their talents to Mickleover next season - just the 230 mile round trip. Sooner that though than the league with Truro in it - 295 miles one way for that one. Imagine that for a Tuesday night game. As GEARYstolemyBEER says, the travel is a killer - and I’m just a committee bloke, straight off the coach into the bar - I don;t have to run around for 90 minutes with the prospect of a five hour journey home afterwards.
Well, you won't be going to Hednesford - they are a car crash of a club at the moment! My current 'local' clubs, Coalville and Tamworth are fighting it out for promotion, so you could be coming up my way once, twice or not at all!

In other words my list was of National League clubs and only Halifax qualify on that basis :D If we're extending past the National League we should add Chester, Scarborough and Hereford to the list of former league clubs which went bust and reformed.

I didn't know that about BPA. I thought they'd gone bust but couldn't find anything on the cursory search I did.
BPA play in the National League North. My mates son is currently on loan with them.

Former league grounds I’ve been to, Halifax, Chester, Chesterfield, Scunny, Oldham, Scarborough.

Yeah totally agree. Nothing wrong with 3 going down from L2 like the other leagues.

4 go down from L1, why the 2 team difference?
Interesting fact: no team has ever been relegated first season back in the Football League (since direct promotion from non-league began in the 80s).

And Maidstone should be added to the National League clubs.

Re BPA, not sure of the exact year they liquidated, but think it was around 1973 or 1974. It wasn't many years after they failed to get re elected to division 4.

As an aside, when they were last relegated to division 4 in 1963, they were on 40 points (only 2 points for a win in those days, it would have been 54 if there had been 3 points for a win) and at that time that was a record points total for a side relegated from the third division.....wind forward 18 years and another Yorkshire club also got relegated on that same points total, with the additional distinction of having a positive goal difference. Wonder who that was..............

Last edited:
I've got an irrational dislike of Harrogate Town ...
Your not the only one 😁 definitely prefer Railway Athletic too.
All their fans are really Leeds fans who've just jumped on a bandwagon. They'll be straight back to 'supporting' the dirties from their armchairs.
They're the English equivalent of Gretna

Back
Top Bottom