Fan engagement legislation ... Protecting SUFC

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

wchris62

Reaction score
Dear Blades,
Many of you will know me if you follow the Blades home and away but I am new to this forum, which a friend told me is the main Blades fan forum. I am hoping for your input to an initiative I am involved in.

In November 2021 Tracy Crouch published her Fan Led Review of Football Governance, which included a ten-point proposal for strengthening how professional football is governed in England. Included in the proposals is a recommendation that supporters would get a “golden share” in their club. This would oblige clubs to consult with supporters in a number of key areas, including any plans to sell the club’s stadium, change the team’s name, crest or colours etc., and ultimately provide them with a veto if they disapproved of their club’s plans.

Crouch’s proposal received cross party support and her key recommendations are expected, at some point, to gain parliamentary approval. I have discussed the legislation with Richard Caborn, a former minister for sport, who is also a Blades supporter. There is still an opportunity to influence any legislation and think through how Sheffield United’s supporters would like their voice to be heard at board level.

With this in mind, please identify the areas where you feel supporters should be consulted in relation to Sheffield United Football Club. Supporter groups in other clubs have considered issues linked to financial sustainability, club history & heritage, youth development and community engagement. What do you think is important?

I will collate responses from this forum, an online survey and one-to-one interviews before proposing a list of priorities to be put to a vote. The outcome of this will then be presented to the relevant parliamentary body with a view to influencing legislation. I will also engage with existing Blades supporter groups to decide the best way forward in achieving effective engagement with Sheffield United’s owners – current and future.

WABAW? Chris Woolhouse

My comments as follows;

1.Crouchs proposal for an Independent Regulator is a step forward. Close to SUFC's fans hearts currently is the owners and directors test and the two failed attempts to buy the club. Whilst accepting there are confidential and due diligence issues it should be incumbent on the EPL and EFL to publish their findings at to why prospective buyers have failed the tests. Only then can supporters judge how both the club and buyer have conducted themselves during the process and what lessons can be learned.

2. Fan Engagement representation should be managed by independent supporters groups not clubs. Constitution, membership and selection should not be the domain of Clubs to avoid lip service being paid to the process. This will ensure supporters control the agenda.

3. The Shadow Board proposal, which is not Fans Advisory Boards controlled by Clubs, consisting of elected professionals by supporters associations is a far better alternative to FAB. "The club should engage and consult this Shadow Board on all material ‘non football/off pitch’ business and financial matters."

4. The Golden Share proposal "It should be a licence condition that all licenced clubs should include within their articles of association a Golden Share requiring democratic consent to proposed actions relating to identified heritage items." should be managed by the Shadow Board protecting Heritage issues such as the ground, name, strip etc. The GS requires the club to provide a formal notice period should they wish to make any material changes.

5. The creation of a Shadow Board will ensure effective communication from the Club via an elected supporters medium. It avoids the embarrassment of using untrained third parties on twitter to provide information.

Dear Blades,
Many of you will know me if you follow the Blades home and away but I am new to this forum, which a friend told me is the main Blades fan forum. I am hoping for your input to an initiative I am involved in.

In November 2021 Tracy Crouch published her Fan Led Review of Football Governance, which included a ten-point proposal for strengthening how professional football is governed in England. Included in the proposals is a recommendation that supporters would get a “golden share” in their club. This would oblige clubs to consult with supporters in a number of key areas, including any plans to sell the club’s stadium, change the team’s name, crest or colours etc., and ultimately provide them with a veto if they disapproved of their club’s plans.

Crouch’s proposal received cross party support and her key recommendations are expected, at some point, to gain parliamentary approval. I have discussed the legislation with Richard Caborn, a former minister for sport, who is also a Blades supporter. There is still an opportunity to influence any legislation and think through how Sheffield United’s supporters would like their voice to be heard at board level.

With this in mind, please identify the areas where you feel supporters should be consulted in relation to Sheffield United Football Club. Supporter groups in other clubs have considered issues linked to financial sustainability, club history & heritage, youth development and community engagement. What do you think is important?

I will collate responses from this forum, an online survey and one-to-one interviews before proposing a list of priorities to be put to a vote. The outcome of this will then be presented to the relevant parliamentary body with a view to influencing legislation. I will also engage with existing Blades supporter groups to decide the best way forward in achieving effective engagement with Sheffield United’s owners – current and future.

WABAW? Chris Woolhouse
The golden share proposal was unfortunately one of the parts of the Crouch review that the UK Government has moved away from in their White Paper, which they’ve since published the results of their consultation on (again, omitting the golden share proposal). With next year’s election, they’re going to have to move at some pace to get the primary legislation passed to establish the independent regulator. There may be some cross-party support for it, and there are opportunities of course to amend the bills that will be brought forward, but the chances of that are somewhat slim.

Re: the other issues to consult on with the board, all PL clubs must set up Fan Advisory Boards as part of a broader fan engagement plan – this is part of the new fan engagement standard brought in earlier this year. There are a few areas the Football Supporters Association in particular has concerns with in the standard not going far enough (which they’re continuing to speak to the PL on), but from a United perspective we probably wouldn’t have started to set one up unless this standard came in. It’s a really good opportunity to improve some of the engagement with fans, and hopefully it’s a success. FABs should, in theory any way, be one route to feeding in on some of the issues the golden share would be there to protect. If you haven’t done so already, worth putting an application in to be on the United one.

Dear Blades,

WABAW? Chris Woolhouse
All of the above. Football clubs shouldn't have owners, so any power given to fans is positive.

Dear Blades,

WABAW? Chris Woolhouse
No proper Blade would sign off a post with WABAW which is a Wendy thing. UTB

Dear Blades,

WABAW? Chris Woolhouse

Stadium improvements. We need a safe standing section in the ground for the many who want it.

Said fan owned Bayern München
Yes. It did cross my mind that from literally a million opportunities, there’d be a few exceptions. All we need is a zillion more fans, 100 times more media interest and revenue, and we could replicate that. 😀

Dear Blades,

WABAW? Chris Woolhouse
Hi Chris,
Good to have you onboard mate.
Join in the banter, it's all good fun...mostly!
Don't go swinging on any crossbars though, you know what happened last time! ;)

Dear Blades,

WABAW? Chris Woolhouse
Good on you sir. Would love to have the energy and/or time to contribute. Realistically I don't.

I did read the Fan Led Review awhile back. Can't remember it now! Some extremely important things in it.

Fan's should always have a say and able to veto a takeover as well, I think.

Yes. It did cross my mind that from literally a million opportunities, there’d be a few exceptions. All we need is a zillion more fans, 100 times more media interest and revenue, and we could replicate that. 😀
Fan ownership isn’t just one model – there aren’t many suggesting a majority ownership model (funding every United signing as a Blades Revival venture doesn’t particularly appeal…) but there examples of modest fan ownership that on the face of it appear to work well. Luton Town Supporters Trust has a chunk of shares that operate similar to a golden share model, and have a legal right to changes over the club's identity (eg name, nickname, colours, club crest, even the club mascot). Relative to their size they must be one of the best run clubs in the top divisions in recent years. We’ve been relatively fortunate that when a new owner came in those parts of the club identity have been left untouched – fans of the likes of Cardiff and Hull haven’t been quite so lucky.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Union Berlin, Freiburg, Bayer Leverkusen and Eintracht Frankfurt all fan owned and all qualified for Europe this season. If you have the right fan ownership regulation, then you don't need this "zillion fans" thing....

(RB Leipzig also qualified)

I'm not sure I understand your point. Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Union Berlin, Freiburg, Bayer Leverkusen and Eintracht Frankfurt all fan owned and all qualified for Europe this season. If you have the right fan ownership regulation, then you don't need this "zillion fans" thing....

I’ll (genuinely) bow to your greater knowledge of world football.

However, it’s totally irrelevant if we want to compete in the leagues we’re actually in.

Fan ownership isn’t just one model – there aren’t many suggesting a majority ownership model (funding every United signing as a Blades Revival venture doesn’t particularly appeal…) but there examples of modest fan ownership that on the face of it appear to work well. Luton Town Supporters Trust has a chunk of shares that operate similar to a golden share model, and have a legal right to changes over the club's identity (eg name, nickname, colours, club crest, even the club mascot). Relative to their size they must be one of the best run clubs in the top divisions in recent years. We’ve been relatively fortunate that when a new owner came in those parts of the club identity have been left untouched – fans of the likes of Cardiff and Hull haven’t been quite so lucky.
I’m sure giving fans a share is a noble, and probably good thing. It doesn’t alter the point that fans alone simply don’t generate the money to compete.

Bayer Leverkusen are owned by Bayer pharmaceutical, but I get your general point.

And who would be doing the due diligence on the fans ?

Grossly idealised socialist claptrap I’m afraid. It would never work.

We generally have fans forums from time to time to engage with management / ownership.

Leave it at that.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom