Fairly quiet on here.....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

But Flatulent_Bob whether we are better than last season or not, that is a fairly useless yardstick. Are we better than Wolves and Brentford were last season? No. And that's the key point. We should be aiming for automatic promotion and that's the disappointment. We are a classic blueprint for a playoff side. Hard to break down and few goals in us. However it's not the mark of champions. I think we agree on where we are as a teams but seem to have different expectation of how good we SHOULD be. In my eyes, SUFC should be doing what wolves did last season.

Having many decent players doesn't auomatically guarantee good football. Nigel Clough will admit it's been a struggle getting the balance right this season, hence the many changes for almost every match so far. If we get a fully fit squad with loan additions complementing what we have we should improve a lot.

Fantastic that we finally put in a good attacking performance, looking forward to seeing the full match later on.

To me we need an extra forward with a few goals in him and an experienced centre half. With that I would fancy us for a run at the top two.

But Flatulent_Bob whether we are better than last season or not, that is a fairly useless yardstick. Are we better than Wolves and Brentford were last season? No. And that's the key point. We should be aiming for automatic promotion and that's the disappointment. We are a classic blueprint for a playoff side. Hard to break down and few goals in us. However it's not the mark of champions. I think we agree on where we are as a teams but seem to have different expectation of how good we SHOULD be. In my eyes, SUFC should be doing what wolves did last season.
No one has had the budget Wolves had last season, and no one will have it again until we have a team with Premiership parachute money in L1.
If that is your expectations then they are so unrealistic it's untrue. We can't match that under FFP neither could anyone else.
As for Brentford I already think we have a better squad right now without the loan improvments and I still maintain that our squad strength and superiority will come through from 10 games onwards. Plus I'm still expecting a forward and centre half on loan.
To compare like for like after 9 games Brentford had 15 points and were 12th in the table, hardly blasting everyone away from the off. In fact they didn't break the top two until after 23 games.

Last edited:
Because Bristol City are doing it. If they can, why can't we?
Their owners a billionaire (974th on Forbes list). He's ploughed vast amounts of money into the club since their play-off final defeat and only now is it paying off.

Their owners a billionaire (974th on Forbes list). He's ploughed vast amounts of money into the club since their play-off final defeat and only now is it paying off.

So we can meet their financial capabilities? There you are - the whole root of my disappointment. That's a sad state of affairs isn't it?

So we can meet their financial capabilities? There you are - the whole root of my disappointment. That's a sad state of affairs isn't it?
I don't see how we aren't matching Bristol City to be honest. Do you know what their wage bill is compared with ours?
I'd wager ours is higher.

I don't see how we aren't matching Bristol City to be honest. Do you know what their wage bill is compared with ours?
I'd wager ours is higher.

No we can debate all you want about football, but Bristol City's wage bill will be miles ahead of ours. They hve massive earners even on the bench (e.g Emmanuel-Thomas) plus they've signed most of their players from championship or premiership.

Also, if our bill was bigger than Bristol City's then Clough should be sacked tomorrow as he clearly isn't delivering with the biggest budget in the league. It's one or the other.

No we can debate all you want about football, but Bristol City's wage bill will be miles ahead of ours. They hve massive earners even on the bench (e.g Emmanuel-Thomas) plus they've signed most of their players from championship or premiership.

Also, if our bill was bigger than Bristol City's then Clough should be sacked tomorrow as he clearly isn't delivering with the biggest budget in the league. It's one or the other.
I wasn't aware that they were playing outside of the rules, but if they are then that's their problem. It doesn't alter my opinion that our side will still go up automatically. Any further comment about the Brentford and Wolves examples you gave, particularly around Brentfords start which was worse than ours, and the fact they didn't hit the automatic spots until half way through the season?

I wasn't aware that they were playing outside of the rules, but if they are then that's their problem. It doesn't alter my opinion that our side will still go up automatically. Any further comment about the Brentford and Wolves examples you gave, particularly around Brentfords start which was worse than ours, and the fact they didn't hit the automatic spots until half way through the season?

Yes. You've proven me wrong on that one.

Yes. You've proven me wrong on that one.
Oh good, hope that's brightened your expectaions of what we might achieve this season.
See you wouldn't have had that if you've blocked me or I'd stopped replying to you.

When you saw Bristol City against us earlier in the season, were you blown away by their superior quality?
Just trying to judge if my optimisim is clouding my judgement or if there actually wasn't much between us. - I'll take the point that maybe they weren't firing on all cylinders either.

Oh good, hope that's brightened your expectaions of what we might achieve this season.
See you wouldn't have had that if you've blocked me or I'd stopped replying to you.

When you saw Bristol City against us earlier in the season, were you blown away by their superior quality?
Just trying to judge if my optimisim is clouding my judgement or if there actually wasn't much between us. - I'll take the point that maybe they weren't firing on all cylinders either.

The thing is bob, how often does any team go away from home, in the first game, and blow a team away? It's extremely rare you get a 3/4 goal win away from home at any level. However, I did see they had more ability and they do score goals in every game, home and away. I'll reiterate again, I do think we're good enough for playoffs, but Bristol City looked a promotion side and we look like a playoff side. I think that BC are top an unbeaten shows that game was not a one-off.

Edit - they also didn't have Agard, but they did have Baldock, so maybe not much to take from that!

I guess we'll see come May I just didn't see then vastly superior to us, and I'd take our midfield over theres both now and longer term.
But we are stronger than last year both in depth and first team, which can't now be sensibly questioned, and I think we shaped up well against Brentford last year.

Fingers crossed for another centre half, and maybe a forward coming in soon on loan to put this beyond anyones possible doubt.

Think the point they are trying to make is you could put as much effort into praising the team when they play like today as you do when games like Swindon.....

The good things look after themselves, normally.
I am critical in the main but the second half was mightily impressive.

Interesting, presumably they are going to fall foul of the financial penalties then and we can't compete without also playing outside the rules.
Neither of us actually know. I suspect they're pushing the limit and we will be once loans come in.

I guess we'll see come May I just didn't see then vastly superior to us, and I'd take our midfield over theres both now and longer term.
But we are stronger than last year both in depth and first team, which can't now be sensibly questioned, and I think we shaped up well against Brentford last year.

Fingers crossed for another centre half, and maybe a forward coming in soon on loan to put this beyond anyones possible doubt.

If this happens, we will be in agreement. I believe that's the difference between us and the top sides.

Damn it. My money was on Mattbianco or blade too long making the usual post slagging off other supporters after a victory.

You must mean a different mattbianco?!?

I've taken a step back from the forum since I got into an argument defending our team after we beat Colchester. I've been viewing but not posting and believe me had to really try hard not to after the Swindon game.

But just think. Since that argument Higdon has scored 2 in just over 90 mins (77 at Orient and 15 vs Gills)

Interesting, presumably they are going to fall foul of the financial penalties then and we can't compete without also playing outside the rules.
Not necessarily, owners can make "equity" investments which both Bournemouth and Brentford did in recent seasons.It's perfectly legal for them to do this. SUFC has made it clear that they intend to follow SCMP with the implication that they won't be making equity investments. The FL has put a stop to investment backed by loans but if people want to throw one-off amounts of their own money - they can.

I think Lansdown has probably decided this is the season to push the boat out. He is a billionaire, he added a cool £550M to his wealth last year.

However, I doubt their footballing budget will be hugely different. What we do in the loan windows and in January will determine whether we are top two material. We should have some head room via the cup run revenue and the Maguire fee.

I suspect Lansdown will spend in January if he needs to. When you are as rich as he is, why wouldn't you put a few extra quid in. The Prince and McCabe aren't as rich as he is.

I think we are top 6 material now and hopefully Cloughie has us in position to be top two material by the end of January.

Let me get this straight shoreham....what you're saying is that their wage bill is bigger than the biggest big thing? Or is that overstating the case?
I'm saying their outgoings may be higher than ours but also than theyay well not be.

I'm saying their outgoings may be higher than ours but also than theyay well not be.

Sorry mate, just me being a tad dense.......it'll be what it is I expect, and the figures will be what I'd associate with any business with a substantial infrastructure to support. Bottom line, the sooner we get promotion the better, four seasons is long enough!

I see some are not allowed to celebrate victories. Do people realise there will never ever be a winner of the clapper v slasher battle.

Sorry mate, just me being a tad dense.......it'll be what it is I expect, and the figures will be what I'd associate with any business with a substantial infrastructure to support. Bottom line, the sooner we get promotion the better, four seasons is long enough!

They definately Walked like a man in the second half.

They definately Walked like a man in the second half.

Hi Zanzibar, don't get me started on Frankie Valli quotes.......but seriously, couldn't get to the game yesterday, but I'm curious to know how McNulty played? The little I saw he looked quite canny, although he had two reasonable/decent chances it seems. As you mentioned, they seemed to play as a creative unit yesterday, at least in the second half.

Hi Zanzibar, don't get me started on Frankie Valli quotes.......but seriously, couldn't get to the game yesterday, but I'm curious to know how McNulty played? The little I saw he looked quite canny, although he had two reasonable/decent chances it seems. As you mentioned, they seemed to play as a creative unit yesterday, at least in the second half.

McNulty did ok yesterday without being spectacular. He's playing an unfamiliar position alone up front, he's used to playing off a bigger striker I think and I suspect that would suit him better.

Great day yesterday and created a staggering number of chances, but this served to highlight what many have said over the last 4 / 5 weeks. We desperately need a strong pacey striker who CAN score lots of goals. Until we have one, we are at best, playoff material atm.
UTB & FTP

Back
Top Bottom