Everywhere we go....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Wednesday fans do.

They always tell me how we stole the "Hark now hear" song off them and that ours makes no sense.

"We will fight forever more because of boxing day" is surely us fighting for revenge?? What do they need to fight for? They won.

Exactly, that's why the texan's battle cry against Santa Anna's army was 'Remember the Alamo!".

I remember as a kid (I'm 48 now) singing "everywhere we go" at away matches, if its the same one
"Everywhere we go, (everywhere we go) people wanna know (people wanna know) who we are (who we re) shall we tell 'em (shall we tell 'em)... We are the blades, we are the blades we are, we are , we are the blades
Round about 1982 ish

Wednesday fans do.

They always tell me how we stole the "Hark now hear" song off them and that ours makes no sense.

"We will fight forever more because of boxing day" is surely us fighting for revenge?? What do they need to fight for? They won.

But that really is pathetic isn't it. However, I wouldn't generalise, I'm sure a lot of their fans don't care. Some of our fans also seem to, but I can't understand why. Liverpool weren't the original 'YNWA', doesn't matter to them. Our fans aren't particularly original, ashamedly, I'd say Leeds were up their with the best. They have some funny and original songs I must admit.

I remember as a kid (I'm 48 now) singing "everywhere we go" at away matches, if its the same one
"Everywhere we go, (everywhere we go) people wanna know (people wanna know) who we are (who we re) shall we tell 'em (shall we tell 'em)... We are the blades, we are the blades we are, we are , we are the blades
Round about 1982 ish

It's a different song mate.

It goes "Everywhere we go, everywhere we go, it's the shoreham boys making all the noise, everywhere we go..."

Liverpool weren't the original 'YNWA', doesn't matter to them.

Who had it before? I know Celtic claim it's their's but i also thought they'd knicked it.

Wednesday fans do.

I know you won't know this because you are a comparative youth :) but...

The "we will fight for evemore" song predates Boxing Day 1979. The tune is from Boney M's "Mary's Boy Child" which was the Xmas no.1 in 1978 and in the run up to the BD 1979 game both United and Wednesday fans were singing it as a pledge that they would fight each other in preparation for the game (the first proper derby between the clubs since 1971). Certainly it was ringing round Newfield school in November and December 1979.

The "we will fight for evemore" song predates Boxing Day 1979. The tune is from Boney M's "Mary's Boy Child" which was the Xmas no.1 in 1978 and in the run up to the BD 1979 game both United and Wednesday fans were singing it as a pledge that they would fight each other in preparation for the game (the first proper derby between the clubs since 1971). Certainly it was ringing round Newfield school in November and December 1979.

Harry Belafonte recorded Mary's Boy Child in 1956.

I did not know that. Thank you.

It's a shit song.

It's dull, unoriginal and repetitive. But there's no denying it gets the crowd going. Sounded great at West Ham and on those Colchester videos. The simple ones just catch on better. We're lucky we have the GCB song.

You do all realise that every football anthem ever sung on the terraces around the world all originated at the Theatre of Rust! ;)

Wasn't 'You'll never walk alone' from 'Showboat' or 'Carousel' or another film musical of the 1950s(ish). The famous version in Liverpool was by Gerry Marsden or Gerry and the Pacemakers. I don't know whether it came before or after the crowd started singing it though I suspect the pop song came first.

The only 'songs' I can think of that football crowds 'composed' themselves are mere chants with rhythm but no tune, like 'you're gunna get your.........kicked in' and 'come on Rothram' though I'm probably wrong.....

I agree with you about the Greasy Chip Butty origin btw Guesty.

Last edited:
Whither the days of the good, original song like No Pig Fans In Town.
Which reminds me, does anyone know what tune No Pig Fans In Town is based upon?

Hate that song - makes no sense whatsoever -
"Jack Charlton is dead
and the Pig fans have fled
and the year is 1889"

Jack is still alive, the massive have swelled to a couple of million and it's actually not 1889

Anyway - here's an alternative Shoreham Boys lyric that should offend more

Shoreham Boys we are here woah, woah
Shoreham Boys we are here
Your women are too ugly so we'll just drink your beer
Woooah oooaw woaaaaoo!

"Jack Charlton is dead
and the year is 1889"

Jack is still alive, the massive have swelled to a couple of million and it's actually not 1889

Woooah oooaw woaaaaoo!
Doesn't scan too well. Miss out the too and it's OK

This would have been soo good if United sung this pre match!!! 'Since I was Young'

"Jack Charlton is dead
and the year is 1889"

It's describing a Blades Utopia (admittedly one that is fairly harsh on the lesser Charlton) rather than an actual state of affairs

We have taken it from somebody else. You're naive if you think we invent all our songs. (Not saying you do or don't believe that).

It's this season's song. Last season, loads of teams had their own rendition of the John Brayford song. This is clearly this seasons song that has caught on through the footballing pyramid.

EDIT - I see Foxy pointed out above that it's not "ours"
We might not have made that song but we are the best at singing it

It's describing a Blades Utopia (admittedly one that is fairly harsh on the lesser Charlton) rather than an actual state of affairs

In the Spirit of Mr Logic...

But, if the year was 1889, Jack Charlton would never even have been born, never mind being dead...

I always interpreted this song as the year 1889, when we first moved into Bramall Lane and the "pig fans" moved to their Olive Grove ground, with Hillsborough not even on the agenda at that point.

I imagine too that saying Jack Charlton is dead, is probably being way more blunt as singing "Jack Charlton is not yet conceived", as pointed out above by Darren.

Not sure about the "no pig fans in town" bit, as Olive Grove was just down the road :)

I always interpreted this song as the year 1889, when we first moved into Bramall Lane and the "pig fans" moved to their Olive Grove ground, with Hillsborough not even on the agenda at that point.

I imagine too that saying Jack Charlton is dead, is probably being way more blunt as singing "Jack Charlton is not yet conceived", as pointed out above by Darren.

Not sure about the "no pig fans in town" bit, as Olive Grove was just down the road :)

It should have been

"No pig fans within a 200 yard radius of Bramall Lane
No football stadium in the Hillsborough District
Jack Charlton is yet to be conceived
And the pig fans will no longer attend the Lane for their team's big games other than when they are playing United
And the year is 1889"

Has a kind of ring to it....

"Jack Charlton is dead
and the year is 1889"

Woooah oooaw woaaaaoo!
"Jack Charlton is dead
and the year is 1889"

The song was borrowed/stolen from Glasgow Rangers.
No no pope of Rome
No chapel to sadden my eye
No nuns and no priests
No rosary beads
Every day is the 12th of July.

The Blade version is
Every year is 1889, not and the year is 1889.

Woooah oooaw woaaaaoo!

Gutted the Ryan Flynn song doesnt get more of an airing, that is pure quality.

Also have heard the odd chant in small groups of Stefan Scougall to the Pat Boone Speedy Gonzales song. That scans well and is a good 'continuation chant'.. 'Oh Stef scougall, Stefan Stefan scougall.. etc.

We need more songs for players in my opinion.

We need more songs for players in my opinion.

Do you mean songs for players that come for a contract of 2 to 3 years and then decide with their agent that they can get more money elsewhere 12 months before it ends?

Personally, I'd stick with very very simple songs, that everyone can join in and make loads of noise, easily and quickly.

This was highlighted for me at the Villa cup tie - the "Shoreham boys" song was the loudest I have ever heard. When we have "new" complicated and made up songs, perhaps pilfered from other clubs they often sound stupid and no one joins in.

"Everywhere we go" has simple words, incorporates everyone clapping, is infectious and must sound absolutely brilliant to the players, even with such small (500 ish) but magnificent away support at Colchester.

Well done to those who went all that way- the youtube videos were fab.

UTB

Sorry, my reply to the No pig fans in town post, should have been

The song was borrowed/stolen from Glasgow Rangers.

No no pope of Rome
No chapel to sadden my eye
No nuns and no priests
No rosary beads
Every day is the 12th of July.

The Blade version is
Every year is 1889, not and the year is 1889.

Wednesday fans do.

I'm presuming that they started "I've never felt more like singing the blues" and then we took it on, bastardised it and produced "never felt more like swinging a pig" which I've never heard them sing, so assume it was us that invented that version... Which is genius

Back
Top Bottom