Elephant in the room

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hi, Stegosaurus here

Disagree. I dont bother watching the lower leagues.

What enjoyment is there seeing some plodding center half hoof it into Row Z? I only watch Premier League football.

Even if Blades were shit, we still got to see sone of the best players in the world embarass us.

Now we get to see Duncan Watmore

Or the Oxford lads, yesterday........

Hi, Stegosaurus here

What enjoyment is there seeing some plodding center half hoof it into Row Z? I only watch Premier League football.

Even if Blades were shit, we still got to see sone of the best players in the world embarass us.

Are you not watching the mighty Blades in the championship then? This will come as a shock to many of our viewers!

I think we as fans sometimes forget what football is. We get obsessed with the idea of everything being a journey and not a destination. By that I mean we spend our lives hoping that we get a good result so we’ll be near the top of the league and might get promotion. It’s always looking forward as opposed to enjoying the now. As such I think the elephant in the room is that we all enjoy playing in the league where we have the most success as opposed to the most successful league. We forget that sometimes. Can anyone really say they enjoyed last season more than the league one title triumph? Of course not. So I’m going to say it now, and I think others might agree, I love being a competitive team i the championship - far more than being a relegation threatened team in the premier league. This phenomenon can be best shown through how teams yearn for european qualification for years yet, when this is achieved, play weakened teams in the europa league. We are told to care about the tier we play in but I’m not sure it actually matters. Goals and wins matter. Watching Billy score his 30th of the season shits over anything we witnessed last year. So I’m just going to enjoy life as a competite team, playing mostly at 3 on a Saturday and with no one outside of Sheffield having an opinion on us.
Human beings by there very nature are competitive it's in the DNA. Its a big reason we are where we are as humans.
"Free will: as its called drives us on its the reason we moved on from cave dwelling,thank goodness for that 😌

The promotion to the Premier League brought us new fans, most of whom had “entitlement” writ large on their foreheads. Real Blades fans have never felt entitled, just happy to follow the team and enjoy it.
You sound as though you’d prefer us to go back 17k crowds like the good old days?

Been there, done that, since 1960 mate, some great times on the way.
This. You've a 15 year start on me but couldn't agree more. Full House in the Premier league doesn't become immediately more enjoyable than 12,000 in division 3.

This. You've a 15 year start on me but couldn't agree more. Full House in the Premier league doesn't become immediately more enjoyable than 12,000 in division 3.
Yes, but we all want this beloved club of ours to do well and prosper. Going to the football isn’t some niche pastime, that’s reserved for the most enlightened. Big crowds are good for the club, so if these bigger crowds bring more wankers....So be it👍

Yes, but we all want this beloved club of ours to do well and prosper. Going to the football isn’t some niche pastime, that’s reserved for the most enlightened. Big crowds are good for the club, so if these bigger crowds bring more wankers....So be it👍
I take your point but in real terms crowd revenue in the Premier league is small change.

4th division for me ,lot's of new grounds ticked off the list ,and it wasn't bad football

I agree that it ended up being an enjoyable season (although early doors it didn't look that way!) and we showed that it is possible to 'football' your way out of the fourth division.

However, rightly or wrongly, I see the fact that we ever got relegated to that division as an irremovable stain on our history.

Hi, Stegosaurus here

That right there is the difference between Blades and Piglets, perfect 👌

I think we as fans sometimes forget what football is. We get obsessed with the idea of everything being a journey and not a destination. By that I mean we spend our lives hoping that we get a good result so we’ll be near the top of the league and might get promotion. It’s always looking forward as opposed to enjoying the now. As such I think the elephant in the room is that we all enjoy playing in the league where we have the most success as opposed to the most successful league. We forget that sometimes. Can anyone really say they enjoyed last season more than the league one title triumph? Of course not. So I’m going to say it now, and I think others might agree, I love being a competitive team i the championship - far more than being a relegation threatened team in the premier league. This phenomenon can be best shown through how teams yearn for european qualification for years yet, when this is achieved, play weakened teams in the europa league. We are told to care about the tier we play in but I’m not sure it actually matters. Goals and wins matter. Watching Billy score his 30th of the season shits over anything we witnessed last year. So I’m just going to enjoy life as a competite team, playing mostly at 3 on a Saturday and with no one outside of Sheffield having an opinion on us.

If any Blade says they enjoyed the L1 promotion season more than the first season back in the PL (until lockdown) I'd say they are lying.

I think most football fans would agree that it doesn't matter what league you're in, there's nothing better than when your team win. However I'd say it makes it all the sweeter when you're matching the best teams in the country as we were for the majority of that first season in the Premier. No one in their right mind would say they enjoyed anything about the following season, but that would be same of any league when you're getting stuffed every week.

but I didn’t enjoy our first season back in the Championship after League 1.
You didn't enjoy that great run we had to the top of the league including the 4-2 win at the Sty????

I think most football fans would agree that it doesn't matter what league you're in, there's nothing better than when your team win. However I'd say it makes it all the sweeter when you're matching the best teams in the country as we were for the majority of that first season in the Premier. No one in their right mind would say they enjoyed anything about the following season, but that would be same of any league when you're getting stuffed every week.

You didn't enjoy that great run we had to the top of the league including the 4-2 win at the Sty????
I didn’t enjoy the whole season and to be honest do not remember us being top of the league that season.
I did of course enjoy some matches: one in particular !!

I didn’t enjoy the whole season and to be honest do not remember us being top of the league that season.
I did of course enjoy some matches: one in particular !!
The low point was obviously Coutts breaking his leg, although that win at Burton put us top of the league. I enjoyed it on the whole because of all the pre-season guff from certain quarters about how we'd struggle.

Apart from the obvious game there was also Brooksy's late winner at Leeds to enjoy and of course Leon's incredible spell of scoring including the 4 goals against Hull.

No it wasn’t. It was spoilt by one mans ego
He said the first season in the Prem. So you're saying Chris Wilder completely ruined the first season in the Prem because of his ego? What is wrong with you?

Really?

this is the last team in the world anyone with a sense of entitlement would choose.

self respecting glory hunter
Oh, you know what I mean. No glory hunters are going to come to us. These new fans you go on about don’t exist.
I was a “glory hunter” back in 1973. We lived in Chesterfield and didn’t really have much a connection with Sheffield. But United were in the top flight then, so my old fella took me to see the big teams come to the lane. That was 48 years ago and my love for the Blades is still as strong as ever. So you won’t find me slagging off so called “glory hunters.” We all found this great club of ours in many different ways. So whether you’re an hysterical bed-wetter or a one-eyed happy clapper. We all love this club in one way or another.

What is, or was, better about leagues below the top flight (and the 70s in the top flight) , was being able to decide to go to away games on the spur of the moment. Just decide in the pub on Friday night to go tomorrow. Now, your life has to be planned miles in advance, from train tickets( if you want anything like a reasonable price), through to gigs and football matches. Getting a ticket for 'owt on the day has now become a thing in itself. Just turning up with cash to get on/in is not really on anymore.....

Back
Top Bottom