Elephant in the room

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
I think we as fans sometimes forget what football is. We get obsessed with the idea of everything being a journey and not a destination. By that I mean we spend our lives hoping that we get a good result so we’ll be near the top of the league and might get promotion. It’s always looking forward as opposed to enjoying the now. As such I think the elephant in the room is that we all enjoy playing in the league where we have the most success as opposed to the most successful league. We forget that sometimes. Can anyone really say they enjoyed last season more than the league one title triumph? Of course not. So I’m going to say it now, and I think others might agree, I love being a competitive team i the championship - far more than being a relegation threatened team in the premier league. This phenomenon can be best shown through how teams yearn for european qualification for years yet, when this is achieved, play weakened teams in the europa league. We are told to care about the tier we play in but I’m not sure it actually matters. Goals and wins matter. Watching Billy score his 30th of the season shits over anything we witnessed last year. So I’m just going to enjoy life as a competite team, playing mostly at 3 on a Saturday and with no one outside of Sheffield having an opinion on us.

Totally understand what you are saying, a wins a win and can’t feel sweeter regardless of league. But it would have been nice to improve year on year in our second year in Prem, instead we endeavour on the worst recruitment drive in the history of football. and all our dreams are crushed.

That being said with this team we have right now I wouldn’t want to be in the Prem.

I understand but the problem is that with the recruitment people were screaming out for (imposing centre back and creative midfielder) United might have actually made a fist of it and instead we could be talking about trying to finish near the European places again rather than whatever this season has in store for us.

I'd rather see one period of United being a Stoke/Bolton/Palace of avoiding relegation for a few years than not.

As we know the Championship is a tight league where anyone can beat anyone so who knows what will happen between now and the end of the season.

I think we as fans sometimes forget what football is. We get obsessed with the idea of everything being a journey and not a destination. By that I mean we spend our lives hoping that we get a good result so we’ll be near the top of the league and might get promotion. It’s always looking forward as opposed to enjoying the now. As such I think the elephant in the room is that we all enjoy playing in the league where we have the most success as opposed to the most successful league. We forget that sometimes. Can anyone really say they enjoyed last season more than the league one title triumph? Of course not. So I’m going to say it now, and I think others might agree, I love being a competitive team i the championship - far more than being a relegation threatened team in the premier league. This phenomenon can be best shown through how teams yearn for european qualification for years yet, when this is achieved, play weakened teams in the europa league. We are told to care about the tier we play in but I’m not sure it actually matters. Goals and wins matter. Watching Billy score his 30th of the season shits over anything we witnessed last year. So I’m just going to enjoy life as a competite team, playing mostly at 3 on a Saturday and with no one outside of Sheffield having an opinion on us.

We got relegated last season so obviously no-one enjoyed that more than the League One season, but I enjoyed the season previous (pre-covid) where we were successful in the most successful league as much as getting promoted really.

Being competitive and challenging for European football in the Premier League was a fantastic journey I'm happy to have tagged along on, as much as our journey to and from the Championship (in the right direction).

The trick to enjoyment is being competitive as you say, and giving it a good go - I can even sort of find some enjoyment in losses if we can walk off proud having entertained given it everything, like the Fulham 4-5 and Liverpool 1-0 at the Lane.

To be the best you have to play against the best. I wanna someday see our beloved Blades playing in Europe. I also want to see the best caliber players playing in the red and white.

Imagine trying to recruit better players saying we want to be a competitive championship team. Rather than a team who is pushing for promotion and then establishing ourselves there. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah but saying all that. How good did it feel the first PL season back? We would've got Europe if it wasn't halted.

League 1 was the best season of my life, sounds strange saying that when we've had other great seasons including championship promotion and 1st year in the Premier league recently. I think it might be down to a mixture of us being utter shite the years before the 100 point season and being a bit unexpected as well as amazing football played and being able to get with my Dad to almost every game home and away. Just brilliant memories for me that season that I won't ever forget. So yeah losing to the likes of Liverpool and Mancity away with about 4% possession and 0 shots on target dont do it for me.

I just think if Palace, Southampton, Leicester in the past Portsmouth, Forest and plenty of other clubs can stay in Premier Leagie for longer than 2 seasons have a bit of success then why can’t we? The obvious answers money I know but makes you wonder why we’re unattractive but hey ho. Just want to see Blades in Europe and maybe win something that’s all I’m not expecting PSG levels 😂. Hopefully one day my dream might come true and I’ll live to see it. It’s the hope that kills you. ⚔️

4th division for me ,lot's of new grounds ticked off the list ,and it wasn't bad football

I just think if Palace, Southampton, Leicester in the past Portsmouth, Forest and plenty of other clubs can stay in Premier Leagie for longer than 2 seasons have a bit of success then why can’t we? The obvious answers money I know but makes you wonder why we’re unattractive but hey ho. Just want to see Blades in Europe and maybe win something that’s all I’m not expecting PSG levels 😂. Hopefully one day my dream might come true and I’ll live to see it. It’s the hope that kills you. ⚔️

We had the money, but made decisions that haven't worked out.
With Slav at the helm, some patience and a transfer window (or two) let's see what happens.
Getting match tickets is certainly easier this year (speaking as someone who now lives 200 miles from BDTBL)!

First season back in the prem was brilliant, possibly the best season I can remember in my 30 odd years of watching us... That is until it was ruined completely by covid.

The team spirt and the fans made our average championship squad play like World beaters.

With Slav at the helm, some patience and a transfer window (or two) let's see what happens.
Getting match tickets is certainly easier this year (speaking as someone who now lives 200 miles from BDTBL)!
I think it’ll be next season we might push on I agree Slavs our best option. As long as we never set foot in league one again I’ll manage.

I’ve noticed quite a few fans of big clubs who’ve been down to the third tier saying that their promotion seasons out of it have been their favourite seasons. Maybe it’s the sheer relief of getting out of that division.

I just want the team to turn up and actually look to be proud of wearing the shirt. If we then get beat so be it.

True
We can't complain about the manager not being backed during the Prem days
We just did our usual trick of not signing Premier League quality, and went for quantity over quality

10 signings who are delighted to have a pop at the Premier League, rather than three that belong there

Surely we can enjoy different types of success.
I enjoyed our first season in the Premiership as much as the previous Championship season, but I didn’t enjoy our first season back in the Championship after League 1.
What I enjoy is seeing United play positive attacking football with a realistic chance of winning more matches than we lose. That can be achieved in any league as can the opposite.
Am I enjoying this season ? No, not yet. Will I enjoy next season ? Yes, I hope so !!

Football is about "aspiration" what you want to become,it applies in life too.

Some are happy with what they have others want more.

Football is about "aspiration" what you want to become,it applies in life too.

Some are happy with what they have others want more.
It's also about enjoying the experience.
Some on here now moan like fuck all the time.
When does that stop? When you become the best, unbeatable team in the world??
Balance aspiration with enjoying the journey.

It's also about enjoying the experience.
Some on here now moan like fuck all the time.
When does that stop? When you become the best, unbeatable team in the world??
Balance aspiration with enjoying the journey.

The promotion to the Premier League brought us new fans, most of whom had “entitlement” writ large on their foreheads. Real Blades fans have never felt entitled, just happy to follow the team and enjoy it.

it was ruined completely by covid.
No it wasn’t. It was spoilt by one mans ego and delusion of grandeur brought about by the likes of Pep and Klopp blowing smoke up his bum then the latter sucking cash out of the club for dud players that no one else wanted. I’ll always praise Wikder for what he did on the way up it was incredible. However, his self belief and reckless spending will have ramifications on the club for the next decade.
Slav must be wondering what he’s done taking on the shambolic squad devoid of talent but heavy in age. We’re not competitive we’re all possession in our half and no substance anywhere else on the pitch.

Rant over.

The only problem is, when you do try on that dapper designer suit that is the Premier league. Primarks finest doesn’t really feel the same anymore.

Hi, Stegosaurus here

Disagree. I dont bother watching the lower leagues.

What enjoyment is there seeing some plodding center half hoof it into Row Z? I only watch Premier League football.

Even if Blades were shit, we still got to see sone of the best players in the world embarass us.

Now we get to see Duncan Watmore

Back
Top Bottom