Effort is not the problem

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Putney Blade

Reaction score
Quality is. A total lack of Prem quality. The players (by-and-large) matched their effort today. And most games do. But this game highlighted more than most (recently), we are sooo short of quality. Individual and collective. Creativity, guile, pace, dribbling; being able to do create something from nothing. We have no X-players. You remember those. Duffy! Didsy, bits of Berge, JOC, Egan, Fleck, the rest are bang average Championship players. And that's the BIG worry. Most are under contract, most will be around next season. It is hard to believe (on the evidence so far) that we will return to the Prem after a season in the Championship. Sure. We will add to the squad, but the core (McB, Moose, Burke, Brewster, Norwood, etc) are very average. Our chances, and success next season largely depend on Wilder staying. Yes, has made mistakes (McB, Moose, Brewster £60m. Really!). But he knows what it takes to create a promotion side. Put it another way, I'd rather have him than a Turkish manager from the Belgium league. But he HAS to fill the creativity void, otherwise even he will fail. UTB

Did we need to sign all the players and surely got a midfielder striker and defender pay the wages and get quality

Quality is. A total lack of Prem quality. The players (by-and-large) matched their effort today. And most games do. But this game highlighted more than most (recently), we are sooo short of quality. Individual and collective. Creativity, guile, pace, dribbling; being able to do create something from nothing. We have no X-players. You remember those. Duffy! Didsy, bits of Berge, JOC, Egan, Fleck, the rest are bang average Championship players. And that's the BIG worry. Most are under contract, most will be around next season. It is hard to believe (on the evidence so far) that we will return to the Prem after a season in the Championship. Sure. We will add to the squad, but the core (McB, Moose, Burke, Brewster, Norwood, etc) are very average. Our chances, and success next season largely depend on Wilder staying. Yes, has made mistakes (McB, Moose, Brewster £60m. Really!). But he knows what it takes to create a promotion side. Put it another way, I'd rather have him than a Turkish manager from the Belgium league. But he HAS to fill the creativity void, otherwise even he will fail. UTB
As disappointing a surrender was today there's no denying we have been decimated by injury and punishments for harsh red cards.
No JOC No Egan No Basham NO Berge
Even back up jags out

I should imagine CW and AK were having a prayer meeting during team selection.
How many would have forecast us putting out today's back line as a starting line up at the outset of this season
What quality we do have is just not available just now

Unlike man City we don't have 600m squids worth of talent warming our bench.

Last edited:
It is for lundstram and mousset
And I think effort takes many forms.

It also goes hand in hand with accountability and taking responsibility.

Lundstram might run about a bit, but he never tried to make anything happen and always passe up responsibility to someone else. I'd love to see a total of his backward passes vs forward passes this season.

Echo this. If Lundstram is trying then he needs to look at other careers. Mousset might just need game time to get fit, but more likely he’s just a waster.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

How much more time does he need to get fit? He's been at the club for over a year and is still a lazy, out of shape, breathless slob.

As disappointing a surrender was today there's no denying we have been decimated by injury and punishments for harsh red cards.
Even back up jags out

How many would have forecast us putting out today's back line as a starting line up at the outset of this season

They all haven't been injured for the whole season. JOC yes. The OPs point is correct we have a lack of quality and creativity. But also we have a huge hole in the formation and tactics that we employ. Both sides need to be addressed

I'd just like to point out that no matter how little they've done, Brewster and especially McBurnie have both scored goals at Championship level. Maybe in McBurnies case he will be a good champ striker, but unable to make the step up? But he is definitely not an average champ player.

Even back up jags out

True but that doesn’t alter the fact that with all those missing playing we have still looked the same lacking in enough quality athleticism and technique

Hi Stegosaurus here,

How much more time does he need to get fit? He's been at the club for over a year and is still a lazy, out of shape, breathless slob.
I think the answer to this is ‘a pre-season’.

Back
Top Bottom