CONFIRMED Duffy joins Stoke City on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Typically, you have chosen not to read this correctly.

He had already had a pay rise when we went up.
He and his agent asked for more due to supposed 'other interests'.
CW told him to go away and think about it.
He did and then still asked for more.

Yes, that's exactly how I read it. He asked for a pay rise, then got ostracised for his troubles. Its this bit that bothers me.

You was probably a Victorian mill owner in a previous incarnation.

Think wilders called his bluff. No ones bigger than the club. We rescued him.. Lets see what options hes got.. Fuck him.

Bit harsh that me old china,
Jesus, nobody can be more outspoken than me, but Fuck Duffy ????? Seriously.
The guys worried about his future, with good reason. He wants to be at the club but see's his chances of getting a game slipping further away every week

If I've read this thread correctly then there's been a whole load of invective heaped on Duffy and he's been hung out to dry for, erm, asking for a pay rise. Shame on him, remember that folks before you go knocking on your bosses door ever again. I also think that Wilder could have handled this better rather than turning Duffy into some kind of pariah.

In what way do you think Wilder could have handled this better ?

Do you think that maybe Duffy is the one that could have handled this better ?

Bit harsh that me old china,
Jesus, nobody can be more outspoken than me, but Fuck Duffy ????? Seriously.
The guys worried about his future, with good reason. He wants to be at the club but see's his chances of getting a game slipping further away every week

His chances of getting a game are slipping further away every week so he asks for a longer contract !

" Fuck Duffy " may be a tad extreme in light of what hes given us over the last 3 years but I I can understand almost everyones support of Wilders stance in all of this .

On the subject of Duffy, does anyone know if hes still trainng with the first team squad squad ?

In what way do you think Wilder could have handled this better ?

Do you think that maybe Duffy is the one that could have handled this better ?

Wilder could have just declined his request, given his reasons for doing so and left it at that. Isn't that how it works in normal employment? Or are you suggesting from now on that anyone who asks for a pay rise in any walk of life should be put out on their arse?

As for Duffy, in common with most footballers, he's probably got the brains of a rocking horse and it should have been the person who put him up to this, i.e., his agent, who Wilder went for instead.

Wilder could have just declined his request, given his reasons for doing so and left it at that. Isn't that how it works in normal employment? Or are you suggesting from now on that anyone who asks for a pay rise in any walk of life should be put out on their arse?

As for Duffy, in common with most footballers, he's probably got the brains of a rocking horse and it should have been the person who put him up to this, i.e., his agent, who Wilder went for instead.

Firstly, Premier League contract negotiations/settlements are about as far removed from " normal employment " and any other " walk of life " as it's possible to get . Therefore comparing the two propositions is at best tenuous and at worst just plain wrong .

Secondly, the length of Duffys current contract, its terms and any other concerns he or his agent has with it should have been ironed out 18 months ago when he signed it .

Thirdly, the timing and manner of Duffys request ( from the little we know about it ) is clearly designed to be as disruptive as it's possible to get . That this has been done quite deliberately is patently obvious and is clearly an attempt to force the clubs hand.

Fourth, why would Wilder go for the agent in all of this ? Whilst the agent is almost certainly a pivotal part of all of this Wilder deals with players and not agents in the main and that's exactly how it should be . Wilders made it abundantly clear many times that he is very uneasy about the influence agents have in the modern game and he will do everything he can to redress the current imbalance in our Club . His apparent steadfast refusal to deal with Duffy ( or his agent ) in the manner he has is one to be applauded . And the fact that hes gone public about it is also something that I, for one, am very happy with .

One thing I will agree with you on though is Duffys lack of intelligence in all of this . Hes shot himself in the foot with this one in a spectacular way . Tact and diplomacy also appear to be something hes lacking . Furthermore, whilst Duffy is clearly trying to do right by himself and his family, the way hes done it really grates with me ( and clearly Wilder too ) . Hes where he is right now earning what he is because of Wilder and for Duffy to conduct himself the way he has really does him no favours at all .

It's all a real shame really, as I, like virtually everyone else on here has nothing but respect and admiration for Duffy the player . But the way hes conducted himself here really leaves a lot to be desired .

Being one of THE key players over the past 3 seasons, you could also argue we're where we are because of players like Duffy.

I've already addressed my feelings in relation to Duffy the player, and I've broadly agreed with you in this respect .

The point remains the same though, hes conducted himself incredibly poorly in all of this and that's surely something we can agree on . Or do you think his concerns should be placed ahead of the Clubs or the Managers ?

I've already addressed my feelings in relation to Duffy the player, and I've broadly agreed with you in this respect .

The point remains the sa.e though, hes conducted himself incredibly poorly in all of this and that's surely something we can agree on . Or do you think his concerns should be placed ahead of the Clubs or the Managers ?

Nope, for me if he wants an extension, he should have knuckled down during the next 6 months and prove that he has something to offer, even if it's off the bench. Enjoy the experience.

Firstly, Premier League contract negotiations/settlements are about as far removed from " normal employment " and any other " walk of life " as it's possible to get . Therefore comparing the two propositions is at best tenuous and at worst just plain wrong .

Secondly, the length of Duffys current contract, its terms and any other concerns he or his agent has with it should have been ironed out 18 months ago when he signed it .

Thirdly, the timing and manner of Duffys request ( from the little we know about it ) is clearly designed to be as disruptive as it's possible to get . That this has been done quite deliberately is patently obvious and is clearly an attempt to force the clubs hand.

Fourth, why would Wilder go for the agent in all of this ? Whilst the agent is almost certainly a pivotal part of all of this Wilder deals with players and not agents in the main and that's exactly how it should be . Wilders made it abundantly clear many times that he is very uneasy about the influence agents have in the modern game and he will do everything he can to redress the current imbalance in our Club . His apparent steadfast refusal to deal with Duffy ( or his agent ) in the manner he has is one to be applauded . And the fact that hes gone public about it is also something that I, for one, am very happy with .

One thing I will agree with you on though is Duffys lack of intelligence in all of this . Hes shot himself in the foot with this one in a spectacular way . Tact and diplomacy also appear to be something hes lacking . Furthermore, whilst Duffy is clearly trying to do right by himself and his family, the way hes done it really grates with me ( and clearly Wilder too ) . Hes where he is right now earning what he is because of Wilder and for Duffy to conduct himself the way he has really does him no favours at all .

It's all a real shame really, as I, like virtually everyone else on here has nothing but respect and admiration for Duffy the player . But the way hes conducted himself here really leaves a lot to be desired .

There's a lot of waffle in there, most of it bollocks, so i'll try to condense it without boring everyone to death.

Firstly, employment contracts for footballers are subject to the same laws of the land as everyone else irrespective of your imaginations.

Secondly, I don't know if you are aware or not but Wilder's contract has been re-written twice in the same timeframe you're castigating Duffy for.

Thirdly you're blaming Duffy for the disruption this is causing. A couple of things here - its unlikely Duffy has been the only one who has asked for his contract to be looked at and it's Wilder who has chosen to put this whole sorry affair into the public domain, not Duffy.

And fourthly, if Wilder is going to wage a one-man war against the agents, good luck with that, he's pissing in the wind and would be better concentrating on team affairs.

Duffy has been turned into the whipping boy in this and I find it remarkable at the number of posters who are slavishly going along with it.

Duffy has been turned into the whipping boy in this and I find it remarkable at the number of posters who are slavishly going along with it.

You'll need to start with a ticket to Istanbul if you're going to start a new crusade.

Bye!

Yes, that's exactly how I read it. He asked for a pay rise, then got ostracised for his troubles. Its this bit that bothers me.

You was probably a Victorian mill owner in a previous incarnation.
Victorian Mill Ownwer? Gross exaggeration and utter rhubarb mate. No one else came knocking on Wilder's door . Maybe they realised they had already been fairly treated and didn't have the temerity to insult the Club.

Duffy, as good as he has been, has like everyone else to prove he is worthy of Premiership wages beyond what was already offered.

Go and rip the Premiership a new one, then go knocking. Stupidity from Duff to my mind and may well have cost him his chance of playing in the prem.

Devalues his legendary status for me, born at the sty on Bouncing day. Spoiled little brat might be more apt. :rolleyes:

Victorian Mill Ownwer? Gross exaggeration and utter rhubarb mate. No one else came knocking on Wilder's door . Maybe they realised they had already been fairly treated and didn't have the temerity to insult the Club.

Duffy, as good as he has been, has like everyone else to prove he is worthy of Premiership wages beyond what was already offered.

Go and rip the Premiership a new one, then go knocking. Stupidity from Duff to my mind and may well have cost him his chance of playing in the prem.

Devalues his legendary status for me, born at the sty on Bouncing day. Spoiled little brat might be more apt. :rolleyes:
Read post 210

Read post 210
[/
There's a lot of waffle in there, most of it bollocks, so i'll try to condense it without boring everyone to death.

Firstly, employment contracts for footballers are subject to the same laws of the land as everyone else irrespective of your imaginations.

Secondly, I don't know if you are aware or not but Wilder's contract has been re-written twice in the same timeframe you're castigating Duffy for.

Thirdly you're blaming Duffy for the disruption this is causing. A couple of things here - its unlikely Duffy has been the only one who has asked for his contract to be looked at and it's Wilder who has chosen to put this whole sorry affair into the public domain, not Duffy.

And fourthly, if Wilder is going to wage a one-man war against the agents, good luck with that, he's pissing in the wind and would be better concentrating on team affairs.

I would still trust Wilder before Duffy or his agent. By the way I think it's an exaggeration to call it a "One man War" I see it as looking after the interests of the Bigger picture.

Also do you know whether Wilder asked to negotiate a renewed contract or whether he was offered? Whichever, without Wilder, Duffy might well not be the player he has become. It's a huge debate of if's and buts
Read post 210
Yessum Boss :rolleyes:

Is it not possible to support Wilder's stance without castigating Duffy, telling him to fuck off, calling his partner a bint and him a spoilt brat? I just hope none of you are like this in your "real" lives because frankly you seem devoid of any sort of empathy, understanding or intelligence. If he goes he leaves with enormous thanks I believe from the majority of blades. Along with others gave us 3 of the best years in our history

What is that sound? That is the sound of you hitting the nail on the head. 🔨 :)

There's nothing 'slavish' - just common sense.
Duffy had already got a contract until next summer at PL rates.
He would have had next season to knuckle down and prove to Wilder his worth (a la Coutts and Freeman previously)
He would have been paid at a rate which reflects playing in the PL.
Now it seems that it's a case of 'improve my contract or I walk' - which was probably a mistake with CW in the other corner

He would have had next season to knuckle down and prove to Wilder his worth (a la Coutts and Freeman previously)
Now it seems that it's a case of 'improve my contract or I walk' - which was probably a mistake with CW in the other corner

Its amazing the number of posters who were party to the conversation between Duffy and Wilder. Your particular version of Duffy giving Wilder an "or else mate" ultimatum is just as absurd as the rest. However, if in your mind this justifies you joining the burn him brigade then fine, whatever tickles you. Asking him to prove his worth a la Coutts and Freeman is a joke. Duffy's input over the 3 seasons under Wilder is comparable only to the efforts of Sharp, JOC, Bash and Fleck and he has nothing to prove to no one. Those two you mention aren't anywhere near in terms of games played and contribution to the last promotion season.

“He came to see my on Thursday, I think it was, and talked about a new contract,” the 51-year-old told the Sheffield Star. “I reminded him that he signed one 18 months back and got a rise to Premier League money.

“He won’t dictate to me when he signed a new contract and neither will his agent. It’s as simple as that.

“We told him that and he wanted to pursue different options. He wanted to do that and I gave him the weekend off to do that.

I've got different options. I no longer am focused in the togetherness of the club. I want the best option for me. Good luck pal, a genuine thanks for what you've done, go and find them pal.

“He came to see my on Thursday, I think it was, and talked about a new contract,” the 51-year-old told the Sheffield Star. “I reminded him that he signed one 18 months back and got a rise to Premier League money.

“He won’t dictate to me when he signed a new contract and neither will his agent. It’s as simple as that.

“We told him that and he wanted to pursue different options. He wanted to do that and I gave him the weekend off to do that.
Exactly.

Duffy "I want more money"

Wilder "No"

Duffy "I'm going to look elsewhere then"

Wilder "Fine, get on with it"

Yeah I read that too and it sounds all so mundane to me. Employee asks for pay rise, gets told to get lost etc. blah blah. Its the bit that comes after which I keep going on about, i.e., the ostracisation of the guy and the lemmings on here who are slavishly joining the hanging party. My take on it is that Wilder reckons he's got a replacement for Duffy at last and as they've never seen eye to eye he sees it as an opportunity to finally fuck him off, after about four failed attempts previously (Holmes, Evans, Carruthers, Dowell). Personally I wouldn't be so hasty on this given past events.

Think wilders called his bluff. No ones bigger than the club. We rescued him.. Lets see what options hes got.. Fuck him.

I get your sentiment but we didn't "rescue" him.
He had just been promoted with Burton to the Championship and was offered a deal by them but he chose to come to us (in a lower league) over them.

Nobody could've predicted the 3 years that followed. It all just fellinto place for both Duffy and SUFC. He could've had 2 seasons in the Champ with Burton and then who knows where he would be now - We didn't rescue him

I agree - logically Wilder has taken the correct stance here and really had no choice. However, I think CW has under-estimated Duffy's importance to us, and there appears to have been a touch of friction between them before this. Various attempts to tweek the midfield without Duffy have not been quite "up to the Mark" so-to-speak, so I worry that this episode might develop into the more worrying scenario of a Championship magic squad dismantled in Prem-building squad turning sour story of so many promotions in the past. This will be a test of CW's man-management and squad-management skills, and I pray he gets it right. He's worked miracles so far; I have faith and trust him, but still worried though despite unbending optimism for my darling club.

Wouldn't be the first time he's underestimated his importance to the team.

I really wish this situation hadn't panned out the way it has. Because experience tells us that this season there would have been every chance that the new CAMs would start as CW's favourites (much like Carruthers, Woodburn, et al) but wouldn't settle in as Wilder would have hoped and Duffy would be brought back into the starting XI to improve the team.

What's Plan B now if our attacking game doesn't click first few games?

Yeah I read that too and it sounds all so mundane to me. Employee asks for pay rise, gets told to get lost etc. blah blah. Its the bit that comes after which I keep going on about, i.e., the ostracisation of the guy and the lemmings on here who are slavishly joining the hanging party. My take on it is that Wilder reckons he's got a replacement for Duffy at last and as they've never seen eye to eye he sees it as an opportunity to finally fuck him off, after about four failed attempts previously (Holmes, Evans, Carruthers, Dowell). Personally I wouldn't be so hasty on this given past events.

Couldn't agree more pal

Back
Top Bottom