CONFIRMED Duffy joins Stoke City on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What are the chances Stoke will just send him back?

Not been in the 18 for a few games now, don't think he's injured.

Wonder what would we do with him in that scenario? I doubt Wilder would want him round the squad.

What are the chances Stoke will just send him back?

Not been in the 18 for a few games now, don't think he's injured.
Does anyone care anymore?

Dont think our January should be focused on bringing back an under performing, unfit, 34 year old that’s never played in the prem and hasn’t been around the prem squad this season.

Sad to say this but I think we’ve moved on very quickly.

Dont think our January should be focused on bringing back an under performing, unfit, 34 year old that’s never played in the prem and hasn’t been around the prem squad this season.

Think you misunderstood, I don't want him back. As much as I thank him for what he's done, we've definitely moved on, and he's burned his bridges, and then blasted the ashes into the heart of an imploding star. Just pondering the possibility.

Think you misunderstood, I don't want him back. As much as I thank him for what he's done, we've definitely moved on, and he's burned his bridges, and then blasted the ashes into the heart of an imploding star. Just pondering the possibility.
I guess my comment is aimed at this thread... we’re having a great season and we haven’t missed Duffy, so why the obsession?

I’d guess the possibility is zero, don’t think there’s a recall on ageing players, just u23’s

True. But there is a good player in there, one that would instantly improve our midfield competition. If we could bring him in for around £6m then he'd be one I'd be keen for us to look at.

Hang your heads in shame , this player gave me one of the most happiest days in my 40 odd years supporting this club !
And I make no apology for posting it again 33,000 views and I must have watched it 25000 times 😂

Hang your heads in shame , this player gave me one of the most happiest days in my 40 odd years supporting this club !
And I make no apology for posting it again 33,000 views and I must have watched it 25000 times 😂

Yep that was several years ago and he can’t even get a game now. Why? Because he got greedy with a manager and club who’ve looked after him.

pity it ended like it did but doubt very much we’ll see him back again a blades shirt

Presumably theres a recall clause in January, so may as well pull him back and let him tear Fylde a new one in the cup as a farewell/shop window job. Then try and use him as a makeweight to tempt Hull into flogging us Bowen or Brentford for Watkins. Or even just a highly rated L1 player as an investment.

Love Duff for everything he did for us and loved watching him. Blades legend forever because of Bouncing Day and the promotions/holy trinity with Fleck and Coutts, etc. Genuinely sorry it ended as it did, but to be honest- seems like it was his own fault. Wish him all the best for the future. But he’s a million miles away from where we are now. We dont even play his position anymore and if we did, Luke Freemans way ahead of him.

He will be looking for his third club in 5 months in Jan.

Sad ending really.

UTB

Presumably theres a recall clause in January, so may as well pull him back and let him tear Fylde a new one in the cup as a farewell/shop window job. Then try and use him as a makeweight to tempt Hull into flogging us Bowen or Brentford for Watkins. Or even just a highly rated L1 player as an investment.

Love Duff for everything he did for us and loved watching him. Blades legend forever because of Bouncing Day and the promotions/holy trinity with Fleck and Coutts, etc. Genuinely sorry it ended as it did, but to be honest- seems like it was his own fault. Wish him all the best for the future. But he’s a million miles away from where we are now. We dont even play his position anymore and if we did, Luke Freemans way ahead of him.
I don’t think players can play for three separate clubs in one season.

166 minutes of first-team football for Duffy in the last 7 months. Ugh.

When we left the Newcastle game the thought came in my head that we may have missed him in between the lines of Newcastle players and in the channels creating triangles. But dismissed pretty quickly knowing Chris would rather play with 10 men by the sounds of it

Good point. If he doesn't actually play a competetive game for us, do we count as one of the 3 even if we technically “own” him?
No, I don’t think so. I’m fairly sure we can loan him or sell him to another club in the JTW providing we don’t play him.

No, I don’t think so. I’m fairly sure we can loan him or sell him to another club in the JTW providing we don’t play him.
May as well use him as bait then. Even if we end up paying most of his wages, offering a player of his quality might tip balance in our favour if we’re after anybody from Champ/L1. Got to be better for all concerned than him just effectively rotting away on Stokes training ground.

When Spurs bought Kyle Walker they loaned him back to us, then recalled him in January and sent him to Villa. I would imagine we can do a similar thing with Duffy.

May as well use him as bait then. Even if we end up paying most of his wages, offering a player of his quality might tip balance in our favour if we’re after anybody from Champ/L1. Got to be better for all concerned than him just effectively rotting away on Stokes training ground.
No, the best thing to do is leave him at Stoke and if another club is interested then we can exercise the recall clause and do the deal. Why recall him speculatively?

When Spurs bought Kyle Walker they loaned him back to us, then recalled him in January and sent him to Villa. I would imagine we can do a similar thing with Duffy.
Which is exactly what I just suggested.

True but that was for the benefit of him and spurs to get him playing at a higher level at a young age.

duffy is coming towards the End of his career, so I doubt whether united will care if he’s playing or not as long as most of his wages are being paid

Not suggesting we bring him back after 5 months in the wilderness but against Newcastle I think a fit and firing Duffy is exactly what we were missing.

When teams start coming to Bramall Lane and sitting deep like Newcastle did, we still haven't got anyone to create anything from midfield.

We have, it's just that CW won't play Ravel Morrison for some reason.

No, the best thing to do is leave him at Stoke and if another club is interested then we can exercise the recall clause and do the deal. Why recall him speculatively?
Not saying we should recall him to come back here at all; Im suggesting if theres a chance we can use him to sweeten a deal for someone else, we can recall him and move him on at that moment. No reason we cant talk to other clubs or the man himself about other potential moves whilst he’s still at Stoke.

He’s our asset and if theres a player we’re after and its us and another club in for them, then maybe including Duffy as part of the deal will swing it our way? Maybe theres a young prospect we fancy a gamble on from League One- throw in Duffy and the selling club has potentially a cracking signing to come straight in. He could be the difference between going up, making play offs or even staying up; a decent incentive.

Until then, or as you say if someone else wants to buy him (or if theres no interest at all), then yes; leave him where he is. He’s made his bed, but no reason why we shouldn't try and use him as a makeweight if it gives us an advantage in pushing a deal through.

The only problem I see in the ‘makeweight for a championship player’ deal been suggested, is whether Duffy is a sweetener at all?

we’re suggesting Brentford sell us their best player, and we ‘sweeten‘ the deal with a player that can’t get in bottom 3 Stoke side, who is there on loan cos he got all billy big bollox at his parent club, aged 34, no where near match fitness and I would suspect mentally in the gutter, wondering what could have been had he kept his gob shut - oh and they have to pay most his wages....

think Brentford will tell us to do1

The only problem I see in the ‘makeweight for a championship player’ deal been suggested, is whether Duffy is a sweetener at all?

we’re suggesting Brentford sell us their best player, and we ‘sweeten‘ the deal with a player that can’t get in bottom 3 Stoke side, who is there on loan cos he got all billy big bollox at his parent club, aged 34, no where near match fitness and I would suspect mentally in the gutter, wondering what could have been had he kept his gob shut - oh and they have to pay most his wages....

think Brentford will tell us to do1

I'm with you - Duffy's value is probably close to nil at this point. Gawd I hated writing that. Look at how hard it's been to shift Leon Clarke off the books - same age, same lack of football recently, presumably a similar level of wage as well.

Back
Top Bottom