Double the amount of International breaks..........

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

derfblade.3

Reaction score
..........if F.I.F.A get their way. Heard on talksport that it's possible that the world cup could be held every 2 years. Couldn't be about the money could it?
Fucked already with how it is now, so extra International shit breaks could ruin future seasond with all the stop / start rubbish. As Grumpy said "I'm not Happy"

..........if F.I.F.A get their way. Heard on talksport that it's possible that the world cup could be held every 2 years. Couldn't be about the money could it?
Fucked already with how it is now, so extra International shit breaks could ruin future seasond with all the stop / start rubbish. As Grumpy said "I'm not Happy"
Ill be firmly in the Grumps corner
Paying mega bucks for a season ticket and allowing the money moguls to fuck our season up with this stop start cr
Bring back football on a Saturday, every Saturday. Jees we pay over the odds for it and those in it for the money can do one

Whatever happened to "player fatigue " "too many games played" etc etc.
I wonder how many, normal everyday Sunday league footballers would be happy to play 6 games a week for 36 weeks of the year for £300k a week.
Ahh but such a short career they say, and £15 million a year sat in a offshore account barely makes £10k a week in interest, and like our politicians how's a lad supposed to live on that kind of breadline amount?.

I wonder how many, normal everyday Sunday league footballers would be happy to play 6 games a week for 36 weeks of the year for £300k a week.
Ahh but such a short career they say, and £15 million a year sat in a offshore account barely makes £10k a week in interest, and like our politicians how's a lad supposed to live on that kind of breadline amount?.
You do realise that playing more games only increases the chances of your career being cut even shorter, through injury?

Fifa are at fault here, not the players.

No fan of world cups every other year but I think you'll find their plans to rejig it all actually include fewer international breaks.

But talksport are in the Industry of getting people worked up and angry without informing their audience...

Calm down guys it is never going to happen World cup every 2 years when would you play the Euro's and all the qualification games? On top of that you have domestic club leagues and Champions league fixtures for clubs to play midweek.

That completely misses the point. You don’t get less tired if someone offers to pay you more. It also isn’t normally players complaining about being tired, it’s the manager, and he can see stats about his players that may show a small drop off in performance due to tiredness, and in a very competitive environment it may be enough to cause his team to lose the next game.

My view is that all the "qualifying campaigns" for the World Cup / Euros should be condensed into their own mini tournaments.

England are in a qualifying group of six teams, so that's 10 fixtures. My idea is that the 'international break' should be just one 6-7 week period where ALL these fixtures are played out. People might pay more attention and get more invested in the development of a squad. Teams will have time to gel properly and acclimatise to their international surroundings.

The current schedule of several mini-breaks throughout a 12-15 month period is just so tedious. It breaks up domestic calendars and ends up being viewed as an annoying distraction. No wonder the football is shit - teams have zero time to train and develop with one another.

I assume I have your nomination for next FIFA Presidential selection?

My view is that all the "qualifying campaigns" for the World Cup / Euros should be condensed into their own mini tournaments.

England are in a qualifying group of six teams, so that's 10 fixtures. My idea is that the 'international break' should be just one 6-7 week period where ALL these fixtures are played out. People might pay more attention and get more invested in the development of a squad. Teams will have time to gel properly and acclimatise to their international surroundings.

The current schedule of several mini-breaks throughout a 12-15 month period is just so tedious. It breaks up domestic calendars and ends up being viewed as an annoying distraction. No wonder the football is shit - teams have zero time to train and develop with one another.

That's essentially "Wenger's Proposal" isn't it?

Unless the Blades get invited to play, i couldn't give a toss, have it every other weekend for me.

I do feel that domestic football shouldn't grind to a halt though because of internationals. If your team is blessed with a full squad of internationals that are going to be missing, tough shit, that's what a manager is for.......managing!

There would be scope as if you remove the current international breaks the season could finish early May rather than end of May. I know its been discussed before when we were in the pub league but the amount of cups don't help. The Papa don't preach trophy or whatever it is called this year could easily be removed and merged into the current U23s Cup. The League cup by attendances shows the interest perhaps isn't there not sure how much revenue Sky and Carabao make but for me I would be happy to have the league and keep the FA Cup and FA Trophy/Vase for those further down ladder but bring back 3pm Saturday kick offs for the FA Cup even if that means legislation changes to allow broadcasting of live games although maybe still have one 12:30pm and 5:30pm fixture in the 3rd round

There would be scope as if you remove the current international breaks the season could finish early May rather than end of May. I know its been discussed before when we were in the pub league but the amount of cups don't help. The Papa don't preach trophy or whatever it is called this year could easily be removed and merged into the current U23s Cup. The League cup by attendances shows the interest perhaps isn't there not sure how much revenue Sky and Carabao make but for me I would be happy to have the league and keep the FA Cup and FA Trophy/Vase for those further down ladder but bring back 3pm Saturday kick offs for the FA Cup even if that means legislation changes to allow broadcasting of live games although maybe still have one 12:30pm and 5:30pm fixture in the 3rd round

You get a like just for calling it the Papa Don't Preach trophy alone! 😄

The fact that domestic football is suspended for international breaks is dreadful. For me it should be about having the pleasure to watch your side every weekend except the close season. Having your weekend match disrupted because your national reserve side have to play Andorra is infuriating.

As it stands I dislike it that Sky cynically decides it’s suddenly interested in League One and League Two all of a sudden during these breaks, but hardly gives them a look in at other times. The FA also miss a massive trick by scheduling the First Round of the FA Cup a week shy of the November break, if they moved it to coincide, there would be much more interest (and much needed revenue) for those clubs IMHO.

Don’t think it will make a difference will it? When I first read about it UEFA we’re going to contest it as the extra one replaces the Euros or makes it very difficult anyway.

we are never going to go back to the old format so countries like Sweden will never get it again. So it will be a cycle of U.K.-Germany-Spain and then a European wide one too

Scrap the nations league nonsense and although I’d prefer the euros to go back to the old format of 16 teams max it won’t happen so an extra World Cup to replace it in places with money is inevitable sadly.

however I don’t envisage extra games

FIFA would eliminate club football if they had their way.

All they care about is that sweet sweet TV moneh.

Another benefit of being in league 1

Don’t think it will make a difference will it? When I first read about it UEFA we’re going to contest it as the extra one replaces the Euros or makes it very difficult anyway.

we are never going to go back to the old format so countries like Sweden will never get it again. So it will be a cycle of U.K.-Germany-Spain and then a European wide one too

Scrap the nations league nonsense and although I’d prefer the euros to go back to the old format of 16 teams max it won’t happen so an extra World Cup to replace it in places with money is inevitable sadly.

however I don’t envisage extra games
The Nations League is of course the much better format. Like plays like with promotion & relegation & no England v Andorra mismatches that benefit neither team. Just like we have in Club football. When England qualified for the Nations League Final Four, we'd had to get past Spain & Croatia first.

I don’t give a shit about World Cups, Euros or International football really. But that cast iron excuse for a drinking holiday with the lads, should never be diminished.

The Nations League is of course the much better format. Like plays like with promotion & relegation & no England v Andorra mismatches that benefit neither team. Just like we have in Club football. When England qualified for the Nations League Final Four, we'd had to get past Spain & Croatia first.

This is a very good point. I feel like FIFA will get their way and the euros will
become defunct..

This is a very good point. I feel like FIFA will get their way and the euros will
become defunct..
I go to watch a lot of England games live. I think the simple reform we need for International Football is to have competitive games which people want to go & watch. Whether that's more games than now, or less games, or games at different times of the year, I don't mind - I have my own preferences, but that's what we need.

To me, Andorra playing England for a chance to be in the World Cup is just crazy. Akin to Hallam playing Manchester United for a place in the Champions League. Just crazy. Outdated. Belongs in the past.

Similarly, 32 & 48 teams EUROs & World Cups. Just Circuses. Two weeks, hundreds of group games, to get rid of four teams (or similar). International football is riddled with games that don't really count.

As a travelling England fan, the UEFA Nations League is the most important step forward since I started travelling in 1982.

In the December 2021 Draw, England will get drawn with one of

Belgium, France, Italy, Spain
& one of
Portugal, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany
& one of
Wales, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary
Proper tough groups.

Group Winners to the Final Four
Bottom of the group relegated.
Superb format ...... or Andorra & San Marino again.....

Arsene "my players are always tired" Wenger believes and is selling that his 2 year WC proposal will actually benefit players.....how?? He reckons qualifiers can be done in 2 blocks in November and March. So instead of a 2 week international break, you would get a month! That is no way is going to f**k around with club competitions. He believes that this will mean players will get a minimum of 25 days rest per season....25 days!! Unfortunately, this was proposed by Saudi Arabia (hmmmmmmm sportswashing anyone) and the support of most of the confederations except for UEFA and COMMEBOL. So the 48 team 2 year WC will happen whether with European team or not. UEFA have already started to ask for countries who want to host UEFA 2028 - which would clash with the first biennial WC. There is now going to be some political shenanigans. Football is governed for the cash, at the expense of the players health and the fans pockets.

These international breaks are no good for an old geezer like me. I love the Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday routine of the Championship. It keeps me focussed on the Blades. After a two-week break it takes a while to get back up to speed. Any more of these breaks and I may not bother.

These international breaks are no good for an old geezer like me. I love the Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday routine of the Championship. It keeps me focussed on the Blades. After a two-week break it takes a while to get back up to speed. Any more of these breaks and I may not bother.
There is another one next month :(

Back
Top Bottom