Don Givens' penalty miss and Nazi Germany's invasion of Poland

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
Tony Currie signing for United in 1968 is as close in time to the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 (56 years) as it is to today.
Don Givens' penalty miss against Walsall in 1981 is closer in time to Nazi Germany invading Poland in 1939 (42 years) than it is to today (43 years).
Deane and Agana firing United to promotion from Division Three in 1989 is as close to Bill Haley releasing Rock Around The Clock in 1954 (35 years) as it is to today.
David Seaman's world class save from Peschisolido in 2003 is as close to the Falklands War in 1982 (21 years) as it is to today.
To sum up, I now feel old!

Tony Currie signing for United in 1968 is as close in time to the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 (56 years) as it is to today.
Don Givens' penalty miss against Walsall in 1981 is closer in time to Nazi Germany invading Poland in 1939 (42 years) than it is to today (43 years).
Deane and Agana firing United to promotion from Division Three in 1989 is as close to Bill Haley releasing Rock Around The Clock in 1954 (35 years) as it is to today.
David Seaman's world class save from Peschisolido in 2003 is as close to the Falklands War in 1982 (21 years) as it is to today.
Congratulations on that title. I know we blame Don Givens for many things, but I couldn’t work out how you were going to blame him for that…

Congratulations on that title. I know we blame Don Givens for many things, but I couldn’t work out how you were going to blame him for that…
I was going to add that you seeing United for the first time in 1953 is as close in time to the last amateur team winning the FA Cup (Old Etonians in 1882) as to today!

Can tge title of the thread please be changed to " That Twat " instead of the person's name as it makes me almost physically sick to read that cunts name 🤢🤢🤢

I apologise for lowering the tone of your enjoyable post, but I can never resist calling bullshit on that Seaman save.

To me it's one of football's great mysteries how it's held in the same regard as other famous saves.

Seaman didn't jump, dive or leave the floor and he was barely even leaning when he made the save.

If the ball gone in after the freeze frame I've posted below, it would've been a huge goalkeeping error and he would've been criticised for not jumping just like he had been against Ronaldinho's free kick the previous year.

Anyway, as you were.

Screenshot_2024-04-15-19-58-36-76_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329.jpg

I apologise for lowering the tone of your enjoyable post, but I can never resist calling bullshit on that Seaman save.

To me it's one of football's great mysteries how it's held in the same regard as other famous saves.

Seaman didn't jump, dive or leave the floor and he was barely even leaning when he made the save.

If the ball gone in after the freeze frame I've posted below, it would've been a huge goalkeeping error and he would've been criticised for not jumping just like he had been against Ronaldinho's free kick the previous year.

Anyway, as you were.

View attachment 182094

Even worse than that was the Everton players follow up over the bar.

Givens actually did well in his loan spell
Took some balls to take that pen while Matthews went hiding
It was a shocking pen though 😠
Took some balls maybe, but to pass it back to the GK? Unforgivable!

Having said that, probably did us all a favour. A bit of a clear out and then Porterfield, Keith Edwards and one of my fav players Colin Morris 🙂

Agree completely, it was just a shit header, all that fookin goal to aim at and he heads it there🙄

Anyway, as you were.

View attachment 182094
Totally agree and said the same for years, he just reaches out from a very poor header that put the ball within his reach and because it was within his reach he should have saved it, certainly shouldn’t be mentioned as one of the greatest saves and like you say if he didn’t save it would been down as a Seaman error.

Anyway, as you were.

View attachment 182094

Rob Smyth in The Guardian recently called it the most overrated save of all time, and I wholeheartedly agree.

This stuff messes with my brain. Makes me feel really old. I attended my first Blades game in January 1980 (44 years ago) which was closer to Hitler invading Poland in 1939 (41 years).
Interesting our illustrious neighbours still sing about a certain game that was 45 years ago and yet we beat them 7-3 in 1952 that was only 27 years prior to that. I don't think we were still harping on about that 45 years later in 1997!

It's our centenary year next year of the last time we won a major trophy, the FA Cup.

In 2000 our friends across the city were relegated from the Carling Premiership.

In 1976 Harold Wilson resigned as PM

In 2000 our friends across the city were relegated from the Carling Premiership.

In 1976 Harold Wilson resigned as PM
And I had my first proper kiss with a girl in a garage behind our council house . Just lips on lips no spit or tongues - that didn’t happen until 1994

The time between Wednesday last being in the premier league and present day (2000 - 24 years), is the same as the time between ‘December 1963, Oh what a Night’ being U.K. number 1 and Wednesday’s last appearance in the Premier League (1976 - 24 years).

Always liked that song for some reason… 😃

The time between Wednesday last being in the premier league and present day (2000 - 24 years), is the same as the time between ‘December 1963, Oh what a Night’ being U.K. number 1 and Wednesday’s last appearance in the Premier League (1976 - 24 years).

Always liked that song for some reason… 😃
24 years - ffs

Back
Top Bottom