Outgoing? Diego Di Girolamo

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes. Best prospect in a while was Harry. We have others better in attitude. Potentials worth fuck all if you aint got the application.
How will we ever know if he's got the application or not regarding us? One game here, 10 minutes there isn't a fair barometer for people to say he isn't good enough or hasn't got what it takes. The lads got something special and with the looks of it we are going to miss out, i have seen him loads at junior level and i know that might not be a good barometer in itself but there was enough there for me to say i think he will be a cracker of a player. My initial question will still stand at the end of the season from the previous post.

How will we ever know if he's got the application or not regarding us? One game here, 10 minutes there isn't a fair barometer for people to say he isn't good enough or hasn't got what it takes. The lads got something special and with the looks of it we are going to miss out, i have seen him loads at junior level and i know that might not be a good barometer in itself but there was enough there for me to say i think he will be a cracker of a player. My initial question will still stand at the end of the season from the previous post.
Maybe the fact he has left York after apparently loving it there I'm his first spell says something about his attitude ? He may have had potential as a kid but that counts for nothing.

The fact that that NC does give the young ones a go would suggest either DG has an attitude problem or his injury has effected him more than people realise and he hasn't got that extra 'edge' any more

We have a manager who generally plays youth players. He hasn't played Diego. Diego has hardly set the world alight at York has he? So far as attitude is concerned he didn't sign his contract and I have seen nothing in him myself that suggests he has applied himself at SUFC. I wish him well but I think he likes being a big fish in a small pond. If in a few years time he is banging them in at a higher level come back and tell me I'm wrong. I bet you I'm not though.

Maybe the fact he has left York after apparently loving it there I'm his first spell says something about his attitude ? He may have had potential as a kid but that counts for nothing.

The fact that that NC does give the young ones a go would suggest either DG has an attitude problem or his injury has effected him more than people realise and he hasn't got that extra 'edge' any more
We have a manager who generally plays youth players. He hasn't played Diego. Diego has hardly set the world alight at York has he? So far as attitude is concerned he didn't sign his contract and I have seen nothing in him myself that suggests he has applied himself at SUFC. I wish him well but I think he likes being a big fish in a small pond. If in a few years time he is banging them in at a higher level come back and tell me I'm wrong. I bet you I'm not though.
Fair enough lads, i suppose we'll just have to see how it works out, i am behind Clough as much as the performances can let me be, lets see how he pans out for us also. Hopefully we'll get in the playoffs, get promoted, Diego goes on to have a decent career then everyone's a big happy family, although everything i've just said including the Diego bit seems along way from happening.

Fair enough lads, i suppose we'll just have to see how it works out, i am behind Clough as much as the performances can let me be, lets see how he pans out for us also. Hopefully we'll get in the playoffs, get promoted, Diego goes on to have a decent career then everyone's a big happy family, although everything i've just said including the Diego bit seems along way from happening.
if no club is willing to pay the compensation what does he do then? clubs wont pay for potential only he has not shown the kind of appetite needed to succeed in the game at the professional level yet. He has style but no substance(hard work and aggresion) and must find it soon if not he could be one of the many youth internationals who dont come through love to see him do it but skill alone is not enough i hope uniteds contract offer is still on the table but pride may force him walk away.baxter did that at everton and was lost to the game for a period and luckily for him dickov gave him a chance at oldham.

Whenever I read through posts about Diego, I think back to a post made when Clough joined:

Got this update last week from a pal of mine, life-long Ram, on living with Nigel:
Most Derby fans were broadly pro-Clough, because in addition to his name, they could see that he and done a good job re-modelling the side with no money to spend. Each season there had been some progress, all be it very small.
On the downside, he is not without his flaws. Chief among these are;
Total unwillingness to change tack when things aren't working- he never makes substitutions before the 89th minute and never ever ever changes tactics or formations during the course of a game.
Has no time for 'flair' (or foreign or, worryingly, black) players. Only likes honest artisans who run around and get a sweat on, regardless of ability.
Has favourites (see above) whose place in the side is guaranteed even after a dozen poor performances.
Publicly criticises and falls-out with players and never forgives them, even if they are our best player. He is never culpable for a defeat, it is always the (named) player's fault.
If you score early he will try to defend the lead for the whole game instead of looking for another goal- this invariably ends in disappointment!
Surrounds himself with a load of ex-forest yes-men (Crosby, Metgod, Garner etc) whom are too scared to ever contradict him.
He followed it up with:
I forgot to mention, every player you sign must come from one of the following locations:
1) must have played for either Burton Albion or Mansfield Town or preferably both.
2) the Scottish Premier League ( fertile hunting ground for the talentless trier).
3) the League of Ireland ( I presume he must like holidaying there).
Also, of course, you may not know the name of our chief scout was- Simon Clough!
It will be him wont it?

This post is pretty much spot on regarding Clough's time here, and I honestly think the sentence in bold applies to the Diego situation (and also why JCR was shipped out, despite contributing to a lot of goals (and just to be clear, I'm referring to the flair side of things, not the race "issue"..)). Clough is very good at bringing through young players but I'm convinced it's a personal issue and Clough's stubbornness which is forcing Diego out.

I think Clough's stubbornness is going to continue to frustrate us. Diego got an assist yesterday while playing in his preferred position. In his last game for us, he scored while playing in his preferred position. Yet Clough would rather stick to his guns and play players out of position, making them and us less effective.

Diego hasn't been given a fair crack and I'll be gutted when he goes.

Whenever I read through posts about Diego, I think back to a post made when Clough joined:

This post is pretty much spot on regarding Clough's time here, and I honestly think the sentence in bold applies to the Diego situation (and also why JCR was shipped out, despite contributing to a lot of goals (and just to be clear, I'm referring to the flair side of things, not the race "issue"..)). Clough is very good at bringing through young players but I'm convinced it's a personal issue and Clough's stubbornness which is forcing Diego out.

I think Clough's stubbornness is going to continue to frustrate us. Diego got an assist yesterday while playing in his preferred position. In his last game for us, he scored while playing in his preferred position. Yet Clough would rather stick to his guns and play players out of position, making them and us less effective.

Diego hasn't been given a fair crack and I'll be gutted when he goes.
its common practice to blood young strikers in wide positions the idea being to give them bit of experience without the down right physical centre halfs intimidating them especially the technically gifted ones. With big physical young strikers its a different ball game but even they will find it tough to cope with big bruicing centre backs.Clough was trying to protect him
as well as bringing him through,but obviously it was not fast enough for diego and his handlers.Clough has no agenda agaist diego or even mcnulty he is an experienced retired international striker who i am sure has a better knowledge of how to bring young strikers through than any of us.

Just wondering how the lads been doing at his new club?

Seems to have missed the last few games through injury.

if no club is willing to pay the compensation what does he do then? clubs wont pay for potential only he has not shown the kind of appetite needed to succeed in the game at the professional level yet. He has style but no substance(hard work and aggresion) and must find it soon if not he could be one of the many youth internationals who dont come through love to see him do it but skill alone is not enough i hope uniteds contract offer is still on the table but pride may force him walk away.baxter did that at everton and was lost to the game for a period and luckily for him dickov gave him a chance at oldham.
Unless he goes abroad (and would therefore be subject to different rules meaning Utd would receive less or even nothing), the case would go to tribunal should Utd and his new club not be able to agree a compensation fee. This was the case when McGahey signed from Blackpool - they (eventually) offered him a derisory contract, which he turned down and chose to join Utd instead. I don't think the figure set by the tribunal (if the case reached that far in the process) was ever released though.

I must say I am really not overly fussed by DdG and don't think he deserves anywhere near the attention or adulation he receives. His time with Utd is obviously nearly up and if he makes it big somewhere else then good luck to him. Despite the comments from the Derby fan above (a lot of which I actually agree with) NC does have a good record of bringing youngsters through and not many of the ones he has let go have proved him wrong. I'm happy to go with his judgement this time too and would be happy for the club to concentrate on bringing through other prospects e.g. Reed, DC-L.

When his agent told him he was on the edge of Obscurity he started perusing the Serie B tables to see how they have done so far this season.

I think Diego's situation might be on the verge of being resolved in the summer. From reading various blogs and sports sites, it looks like he'll sign to Juventus. The loans to various lower division english clubs have merely been a stop-gap for the lad until he's a free agent to choose whichever club he wishes to sign for.

Celtic were keen to sign him, but he looks bound for Italy.

I think Diego's situation might be on the verge of being resolved in the summer. From reading various blogs and sports sites, it looks like he'll sign to Juventus. The loans to various lower division english clubs have merely been a stop-gap for the lad until he's a free agent to choose whichever club he wishes to sign for.

Celtic were keen to sign him, but he looks bound for Italy.

Juventus or Southampton is the bet in London for him . If its Italy he will be Serie B bound if a successful trial. The sad thing about all this , i don't think of him as a blade anymore , and have no infinity to the lad at all . Perhaps he ought to have taken advice and learnt from Clough and Co. Time will tell and hindsight is a great thing for all of us , which young Diego , may find out sooner rather than later , as football although glamorous , can also become a lost wilderness.

UTB

After suffering a career threatening injury, I think if I was faced with the chance of a contract with Juve, or scratting about in the third tier Blades' reserves, I'd take my chances with the Italian giants. I'd rather be on loan at a Serie B club trying to get into their side, than on loan at York or Northampton trying to get into ours. That might just be me taking the Blades tinted glasses off and actually thinking of it as what it is. A job. And one with a short career span at that.

Why all the vitriol? He could get injured again. He'd be kicking himself if he did have the chance of going there but chose to stay here and it didn't work out. Anyone would.

Going back to bad management, you can lead a horse to water but a pencil has to be lead.

Diego to stay now clough as gone. Contract offer still on the table and will sign.
Well if this is true then great news. Give him some proper game time next season. Him and Che up top?

This constant sniping at one of our best up and coming players is getting fucking tedious now, give it a break.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, if Cloughy was to be relieved of his duty in the not so distant future and Diego was already signed by someone else, would you all come on then and still stick up for Cloughy saying he did the right thing for the club? Exactly!
I bring forward this post from earlier in the thread. Do you all still stick up for Cloughy over a lad that's been at our club for over a decade?

Well if this is true then great news. Give him some proper game time next season. Him and Che up top?

Not a cat in hells chance that the next manager will go with two inexperienced youngsters up front.

If he doesn't get us up next season he will be sacked, so what's the point in developing players for some other mug to benefit from?

I'll stick up for the one that wanted to be at the club next season
So not Diego then who's been at the club for over a decade? Diego might not have wanted to be here because Clough was here, he wouldn't be the first player to have suggested this. Also, how do you know Cloughy wanted to be here next year? He could have said or done something to trigger his sacking, nobody knows.

People were too quick to stick up for someone who'd been at the club for no longer than a full season over someone who'd been at the club for 12 years.

So not Diego then who's been at the club for over a decade? Diego might not have wanted to be here because Clough was here, he wouldn't be the first player to have suggested this. Also, how do you know Cloughy wanted to be here next year? He could have said or done something to trigger his sacking, nobody knows.

People were too quick to stick up for someone who'd been at the club for no longer than a full season over someone who'd been at the club for 12 years.

So Clough actually wanted to be sacked now, did he? Nobody knows the facts so let's invent a few wacky scenarios eh?
Why would I have to choose between them Clough and Diego? Clough offered Diego a new contract which he didn't want to sign.
That's fair enough. Good luck to them both where ever they end up next season. (Probably not Bramall Lane).

So Clough actually wanted to be sacked now, did he? Nobody knows the facts so let's invent a few wacky scenarios eh?
Why would I have to choose between them Clough and Diego? Clough offered Diego a new contract which he didn't want to sign.
That's fair enough. Good luck to them both where ever they end up next season. (Probably not Bramall Lane).
Get a grip mate! Where did i say Cloughy wanted to be sacked? I said what i said regarding this whole sorry episode just as a stupid example seen as though nobody knows anything regarding the sacking and put it trying to make a point of how pathetic people are to want one of our best up and coming talents out just because Clough didn't like the kid.

My personal feelings towards why he was sacked are when the board came back from holiday they sat down with Clough and didn't like what they were listening to, no bust up, no demands, just a simple chat not liked by our board. I don't need to make any "wacky scenarios up", the club have been making quite a good job of that themselves in recent seasons. I'm merely speculating.

Get a grip mate! Where did i say Cloughy wanted to be sacked? I said what i said regarding this whole sorry episode just as a stupid example seen as though nobody knows anything regarding the sacking and put it trying to make a point of how pathetic people are to want one of our best up and coming talents out just because Clough didn't like the kid.

My personal feelings towards why he was sacked are when the board came back from holiday they sat down with Clough and didn't like what they were listening to, no bust up, no demands, just a simple chat not liked by our board. I don't need to make any "wacky scenarios up", the club have been making quite a good job of that themselves in recent seasons. I'm merely speculating.

Let it go wiz, chasing young boys on a football forum is like walking a very fine line between fan-like fervour and tripping the light fantastic in a dark, smoke filled environment where rules are for losers ;)

Sorry for the misunderstanding then..
The key words been 'could have' and 'nobody knows'.
Let it go wiz, chasing young boys on a football forum is like walking a very fine line between fan-like fervour and tripping the light fantastic in a dark, smoke filled environment where rules are for losers ;)
Where did he run off to:)

I'll stick up for any of our players who i think haven't done anything wrong, no matter how old they are, if that's alright by you that is.

The key words been 'could have' and 'nobody knows'.

Where did he run off to:)

I'll stick up for any of our players who i think haven't done anything wrong, no matter how old they are, if that's alright by you that is.

But...but...but....Diego is no longer, or soon to be, a Blade? That page is closed, he's looking elsewhere, and I hope he finds a home where he can dedicate himself to becoming a better player.

Back
Top Bottom