Derek Hawksworth

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Anybody on here who saw him play?
RIP Derek Hawksworth.
Yes, one here and no doubt more to follow.
Derek was a member of my first memorable team, repeating myself here, very quick, good shot, eye for goal and could play and did most positions along the forward line during his time at the Lane.
Scored in his first game, a 0-2 away win V Blackburn R and had the pleasure of playing outside left to JH's inside left in that game.
Sad news, but as the song says "That's Life".

Anybody on here who saw him play?
He played in the first game I saw, aged 6 (me, not him!). That was a classic forward line. I doubt he tracked back to mark the opposing right-winger, and I don’t think Stanley Matthews will have tracked back to mark him! They were all gods to me at that age. In the picture he is on the right, second row from front.
RIP
08C7C214-CBF5-4D10-9A98-4BBDE0C96C61.jpeg75D222B8-C39E-4B37-975E-CB91301518B2.jpeg

I really liked Blackpool's kit. One of my favourites. Tangerine was a good colour.

Don't know if they still play in that bright colour or, as is often the case nowadays, the colour has changed slightly and is often much duller and not the original one.

Wolves have done that - no longer seems to be the "old gold" of former years.

I remember being at the Lane when we played Blackpool, was on the terrace under the new stand, and Gil Reece broke his leg. It didn't stop him going to the chippy on Greystones Road.

A couple of pictures of Hawksworth. One is from a 4-0 win v Doncaster, November 1956, when he scored a hat-trick. The other is January 1958, v Grimsby in the Cup 3rd Round, 5-1 win. Not great pics, but very much as I remember him - at his best with the ball at his feet driving towards goal:
351F2996-F1C7-4E0A-9A27-5DE435615E40.jpeg0017032B-350A-4B8E-BB9D-2F0D8BE1EF1B.jpeg

Yes, saw Derek Hawksworth play many times. He gave us the best part of his career and stands out as a fast direct winger with a strong shot .He was part of the forward line which rolls off the tongue. Ringstead, Hagan, Browning , Brook , Hawksworth. Both he and opposite winger, Ringstead, not only made loads of goals but scored a lot as well (in Derek's case 88 in 255 for us).
The programme that HBT posts shows him sat between Harold Brook and Ernest Jackson (Trainer and ex player) on the second row. I think the chap at the end of that row was the manager Reg Freeman. I , also notice Ted Burgin and a very young Hodgy, don't know who the third goalie is.
I was at the Blades v. Blackpool game , as a young lad- stood 3 or 4 rows back behind the Kop goal . From memory Derek had an outstanding game. Another abiding memory is that our Jimmy as well as pulling our strings, kept a close eye on Stanley and kept him very quiet despite our losing 3-4. Also, Joe Shaw was playing right half , in those days.
The Blackpool team, that August day, had 10 of the team that had won the F.A.cup that same year, May , 1953. The one known as the Matthews final despite another Stan's hat trick. Also, looking at the Blackpool team and Bolton there were 18 English players and 4 Scots in the 22. Bolton were unlucky as they were dominating the game until Bell (I think) got injured and had to hobble along the left wing for much of the game.
Sorry for digressing, the programme brings back great memories of one of our favourites .I reckon he had a great career and was a popular figure as well as being a magnificent servant for The Blades.
R.I.P Derek

Yes, saw Derek Hawksworth play many times. He gave us the best part of his career and stands out as a fast direct winger with a strong shot .He was part of the forward line which rolls off the tongue. Ringstead, Hagan, Browning , Brook , Hawksworth. Both he and opposite winger, Ringstead, not only made loads of goals but scored a lot as well (in Derek's case 88 in 255 for us).
The programme that HBT posts shows him sat between Harold Brook and Ernest Jackson (Trainer and ex player) on the second row. I think the chap at the end of that row was the manager Reg Freeman. I , also notice Ted Burgin and a very young Hodgy, don't know who the third goalie is.
I was at the Blades v. Blackpool game , as a young lad- stood 3 or 4 rows back behind the Kop goal . From memory Derek had an outstanding game. Another abiding memory is that our Jimmy as well as pulling our strings, kept a close eye on Stanley and kept him very quiet despite our losing 3-4. Also, Joe Shaw was playing right half , in those days.
The Blackpool team, that August day, had 10 of the team that had won the F.A.cup that same year, May , 1953. The one known as the Matthews final despite another Stan's hat trick. Also, looking at the Blackpool team and Bolton there were 18 English players and 4 Scots in the 22. Bolton were unlucky as they were dominating the game until Bell (I think) got injured and had to hobble along the left wing for much of the game.
Sorry for digressing, the programme brings back great memories of one of our favourites .I reckon he had a great career and was a popular figure as well as being a magnificent servant for The Blades.
R.I.P Derek
Third GK was Des Thompson - a Central League legend !

Thanks Wooden Blade. Yes, definitely knew of him, just didn't recognise him. I reckon he played , maybe 20-30 times, for the first team in about 10 years and never let us down.

Des Thompson didn’t join Utd until 1955. I think that is Ron Crookes, who was reserve keeper, but about to be overtaken by Hodgy’s rapid progress.
Spot on!
Flanked by two future England internationals, no less.
Like a Blackpool '53 reunion on here, I also was there on't Terrace.
Mathews back to us and stood on touch line, receives ball, Graham Shaw closes him down, shoves ball down line and with at least a yard to make up, shot past Graham before he knew what was happening.
Remember it was a good nip and tuck game but for an eleven year old a disappointing result.

Last edited:

Before taking a corner Hawksworths routine
RIP Derek Hawksworth.
Yes, one here and no doubt more to follow.
Derek was a member of my first memorable team, repeating myself here, very quick, good shot, eye for goal and could play and did most positions along the forward line during his time at the Lane.
Scored in his first game, a 0-2 away win V Blackburn R and had the pleasure of playing outside left to JH's inside left in that game.
Sad news, but as the song says "That's Life".
Rest In Peace Derek. Loved watching that team
Derek’s corner taking routine started with him cleaning his boot on the back of a sock. Very successful it was too

Rest In Peace Derek. Loved watching that team
Derek’s corner taking routine started with him cleaning his boot on the back of a sock. Very successful it was too
Not much grass left after Christmas was there.
Having said that, pith was always well turned out, rolled and immaculately marked out enabling on the floor play to take place.
Trouble started when it had been raining all day, a stream seemed to appear down the middle goal to goal. Showery days made it tacky.1956-57 Sept 1 A V Barnsley W 1-6 HT0-3 Grainger-3 Howitt-2 Hawksworth--Pop Jack & me (2).jpg

My favourite photo of Derek Hawksworth scoring V Barnsley, whilst playing centre forward.
I was in attendance this match, great afternoon in Barnsley,1956 Sept 1st won 1-6, HT0-3. Other scorers Grainger-3, Howitt-2.

He played in the first game I saw, aged 6 (me, not him!). That was a classic forward line. I doubt he tracked back to mark the opposing right-winger, and I don’t think Stanley Matthews will have tracked back to mark him! They were all gods to me at that age. In the picture he is on the right, second row from front.
RIP
View attachment 109309View attachment 109310
Now that's a formation manager's should look at these days

Back
Top Bottom