Defensive Shield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Melton Blade

Reaction score
Unlike some - I can see and appreciate how Slav is trying to get us to play - back 4 - 2x wide midfielders & 2 attackers & with the right pegs in the right holes - I think this will be very successful (in the Championship). We certainly look to have the ability to score again (after a barren 12 months) but sadly the back 4 needs protecting far better than Norwood & Fleck are able to do. Their defensive screen was OK with 3x centre backs - but neither have the physical or aggressive attributes to protect the centre of a two.

Much as Slav may want to go back in for another wide player in Jan transfer window - replacing at least one of these guys in the middle is a more pressing need in my view! Of course, Berge is an option (when fit) but I don't see those defensive instincts as his greatest strengths either..

We can't go on being a soft touch through the middle.

UTB

Agree entirely.

Said elsewhere but I think adding Guedioura in there can help us, even if it means potentially dropping the 'ten' role for a bit for an extra central midfielder. Osborn had a good game yesterday but I think he's really limited - I'd shift Ndiaye out to the left, MGW on the right and have 3 in the middle.

I remember some Fulham and Watford fans saying Slav puts a low priority on defence.
It’s like when Kevin Keegan was at Newcastle, Slav focusses on outscoring the oppostion.

After 18 months of creating half a chance every other game at least we are scoring now.

But we aren’t going to challenge if we keep defending like this though. That said I find it hard to blame Slav for individual errors, particularly earlier in the season. Our goals against would look a lot better if there had been some defensive pride in their performances and. Desire to keep goals out.

an actual tacking midfielder might make a difference. I’d give Osborn a go there, at least he can put himself about

Mentioned on shoutbox earlier, is Bash an option, take Fleck out of the firing line for a while, pull Ozzy back into Flecks position, use Ozzy and Bashams legs/stamina, Ozzy gets up and down the left, Bash screens the defence and puts a bit more bite in CM
I don't think Bash will work in the middle anymore. He's not got the pace to go with runners or to bite into tackles, imo. He's still mobile over longer distances but playing in the middle requires more acceleration than I think he still has.

I think Ozzy might be able to play that role. I can only assume Guedioura is well off as never involved and Slater has been injured all the season.

I think we're a bit stuck with the personnel we have. Whatever he does, we're weak somewhere and someone has to play out of position.

I don't think Bash will work in the middle anymore. He's not got the pace to go with runners or to bite into tackles, imo. He's still mobile over longer distances but playing in the middle requires more acceleration than I think he still has.

I think Ozzy might be able to play that role. I can only assume Guedioura is well off as never involved and Slater has been injured all the season.

I think we're a bit stuck with the personnel we have. Whatever he does, we're weak somewhere and someone has to play out of position.
exactly everything is a compromise, moving Ozzy into the middle we lose his energy up and down the left, no idea re Guedioura, I presumed he was injured, thing is he could have 'done a job' either as a starter or off the bench in every match this season

Another option could be to put Ben Davies alongside Norwood for more height and bite and bring in Lopata alongside Egan .

The former has the passing skills to play DM and the latter a proper unit who impressed me when he played and looks ready for the next step in what I think is going to be a very impressive career .

Osborne and Bash both worth a shout there in my opinion.

Fleck and Norwood lack of athleticism and bite in the tackle has cost us points this season. We get overrun through the middle which puts the back 4 under unnecessary pressure.

Ronaldo Vieria was obviously the one they were eying up to do this job but looks like he’ll never be fit enough.

Another option could be to put Ben Davies alongside Norwood for more height and bite and bring in Lopata alongside Egan .

The former has the passing skills to play DM and the latter a proper unit who impressed me when he played and looks ready for the next step in what I think is going to be a very impressive career .
Think we need a change, rotate positions etc to get the best balance

Back
Top Bottom