Defence - What Defence?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He shouldn't be the scapegoat, but he should face some scrutiny. I've said for a while that our coaching staff has been lacking:

2019/20 - Played 9 - Scored 8 - Points 12

2023/24 - Played 9 - Scored 7 - Points 1

Welcome Mark Hudson!

Correlation IS NOT cause.

You could have posted the same stats to say that Dean Henderson is a superb goalie and Wes is useless.

It's a different defence, with a different manager playing a different selection of teams. Defensive coaching may well be a contributory factor, but lifting a couple of simple stats, proves nothing.

I'm not really sure what we expected.
Robbo has been our best defender and he's a very average Championship one.
Anel isn't as good as we'd hoped and seemingly doesn't have the heart for a battle.
We know Lowe and Bogle can't defend. We saw Larouchi wasn't upto it in preseason, and Basham and Egan aren't at the level even if they had stated fit.
Our recruitment/reinforcements then were Trusty, a huge gamble but coming off a good Championship season, and now Holgate, who hasn't been in form for 2 years.

Not many of the midfield changes have come off, but with Baldock and RND injuries our defence is in absolute tatters.
And like I said, we all already knew this.

I'm not really sure what we expected.
Robbo has been our best defender and he's a very average Championship one.
Anel isn't as good as we'd hoped and seemingly doesn't have the heart for a battle.
We know Lowe and Bogle can't defend. We saw Larouchi wasn't upto it in preseason, and Basham and Egan aren't at the level even if they had stated fit.
Our recruitment/reinforcements then were Trusty, a huge gamble but coming off a good Championship season, and now Holgate, who hasn't been in form for 2 years.

Not many of the midfield changes have come off, but with Baldock and RND injuries our defence is in absolute tatters.
And like I said, we all already knew this.

The injuries have been the biggest bit for me. If a manager can't keep the same side together from one game to the next how can he get results.

Off the back of a decent win against Luton we lose RND, Lowe and Archer. Then find out Diaz is still out of action.

I don't like Wilder but I won't deny it's all fucked from a fitness point of view and his decisions are not easy ones.

folk talk of McBurnie being important when we are defending corners etc, why did hee remain on the bench when we won nothing in the air yesterday, or wasn't he fit?

folk talk of McBurnie being important when we are defending corners etc, why did hee remain on the bench when we won nothing in the air yesterday, or wasn't he fit?
Cw said he could only really do 10 minutes max. So no point bringing him on for that amount when he may flare it all up again

Losing Egan, baldock, rnd and Basham are valid excuses. You could argue all would be regular starters and have missed huge parts of the season. I don't think they would be good enough to keep us up but far better than this.

Unfortunately there's only Baldock anywhere near a return.

Losing Egan, baldock, rnd and Basham are valid excuses. You could argue all would be regular starters and have missed huge parts of the season. I don't think they would be good enough to keep us up but far better than this.

Unfortunately there's only Baldock anywhere near a return.

Basham had a walk about before the game on Sunday. Get him back in team even if he is limping about.

Everyone blamed hecky for injury situation and we are no better now infact it's worse
Couldn't agree more.

A couple of weeks ago Wilder was bigging himself up about how they were on top of the injuries which he stated should never have been the situation. I hate that BS.

Anyway if you're defending Hecky on here then accept you'll be tarred and feathered at the next home game.

Are we as hampered by injuries?or is our squad just that thin that we really miss every player that's out with a knock?
Man City have had the best midfielder on the planet missing and they've been fine.

Didn't think I would have said this at the start of the season but genuinely dreading the Fulham match, the tore Spurs a new one, have beaten Arsenal and Man United. If they are given space they will have a field day and they are massive at the back too

Back
Top Bottom