Deadbat's Season Preview + Predictions

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Deadbat’s Season Preview

Well here goes nothing…….pin it and come back and laugh at the end of the season but here is my season preview / predictions for the new season. Cue criticism for my conservative prediction (what do you mean ‘you’ are always negative) for where the Blades finish?!

1) Brentford

To me if they can recover from the agony of losing out twice last season; they look the outstanding bet to go up. They have lost Harry Forrester to Doncaster but have actually strengthened with the signings of arguably Walsall and Swindon’s best players respectively in Will Grigg and Alan McCormack. Losing keeper Simon Moore will be a blow but with Donaldson, Grigg and a couple of new exciting wingers from the continent then they have the firepower to blow most teams away.

Key Man : Clayton Donaldson

2) Peterborough

On the face of it they may have the weakest squad of the three that went down at least in terms of personnel but they have a manager that knows this division well and with little changes to the majority of the side that only just went down; they will be right up there. Balancing the loss of Dwight Gayle (for a remarkable 8.5 million when all said and done) is incoming record transfer from Watford Britt Assombalonga. They will be very strong at home and I have an inkling they may bounce straight back up.

Key Man : Lee Tomlin

3) Bristol City

City had been treading water for a few years and finally slipped through the trap door but Sean O’Driscoll could hardly be blamed and will slowly get things right. His team will play football but they have some tough performers who do the dirty things such as incoming centre back Aiden Flint and also defensive midfielder Marvin Elliott. Albert Adomah will cause major problems at this level and Sam Baldock will score goals. Jay Emmanuel Thomas and Stephen Pearson give further options up top and new keeper Frank Fielding also should shore up the backline. They will definitely be around the top 6 and could even threaten the top two.

Key Man : Sam Baldock

4) Preston

North End have had a few indifferent seasons and it is fair to say the Graham Westley experiment did not work. Now with Simon Grayson at the helm for his first full season, Preston will be nearer the top than the bottom. He may be on his last few years but at this level Kevin Davies will have the experience and cunningness to score goals, win free kicks and generally cause real problems. With Stuart Beavon, Ian Hume and Joe Garner they have the firepower to profit from Davies’ hold up play and knockdowns. Tom Clarke gives them strength at the back and Declan Rudd also comes in as the new custodian. Grayson has been very successful in this division before and I see no reason why North End will not be upwardly mobile again.

Key Man : Kevin Davies

5) MK Dons

I fully expected the Dons to be right up there last season but it never really happened for Karl Robinson’s man. Robinson himself flirted with a move to the Lane but opted to stay and have another go. They still have a decent squad and some good young players. Goals may be an issue with Dean Bowditch, Daniel Powell and Chelsea front man Patrick Bamford maybe not enough. However, they they finished the season strong and if they carry on that impetus and can get back to a strong home record at Stadium:MK where they struggled last year they will be there or thereabouts.

Key Man : Stephen Gleeson

6) Wolverhampton

The notion that teams with such experienced and supposedly superior of talent to the rest of the division will just bounce straight back up; probably has been proved wrong in recent years. The likes of Wednesday, United, Leeds, Forest and others have struggled to get out straight away in recent years. Wolves have players that most teams in the league can only dream of affording but with many of the so called big earners probably still on the way out there are still a lot of question marks over who will be here by the end of August. Roger Johnson, Jamie O’Hara and Stephen Ward are remain on the list. The rest of the squad actually looks bereft of experience and will rely on youngsters like Jake Cassidy and Leigh Griffiths for goals. They made a solid managerial appointment as Kenny Jackett will steady the ship but Wolves fans won’t find it as straight forward as they think to get out of this league.

Key Man : Leigh Griffiths

7) Sheffield United

The Blades failed again as the playoff curse struck yet again with another end of season

meltdown leaving United stuck in League One and having to find yet another manager. David

Weir has brought a freshness to the club and United will have to be patient. The majority of the teams above have managers who have been in the game for a lot longer and many have been successful at this level. They had a strong defence last season but lacked creativity and goals and it is hard to see if much has changed. If anything losing Blackman and Kitson means it is even more difficult to see where the goals will come from with most of the sides above having far more options in this area. No matter how many shut outs they have, if they cannot score then they will struggle to consistently beat teams. They also need to improve in the centre of midfield where last year teams overran the slow and pedestrian McDonald and Doyle. Signings such as Brandy, McGinn and Taylor will have to come off for the side to make the top 6. Talented youngsters continuing to emerge from the academy to join the likes of Long and Maguire and this will help a cash strapped side.

Key Man : Kevin McDonald

8) Notts County

County actually were right on the verge of the playoffs last term but fell away and Keith Curle lost his job. Chris Kiwomya made a promising start and has former Blades coach Mick Jones to help him. They have made a few decent signings. Danny Haynes will score goals at this level and David Bell is a clever midfielder. If Francois Zoko can return to his form of Carlisle they could have a very powerful and fast front line. I fancy them as a surprise package this season.

Key Man : Danny Haynes

9) Leyton Orient

The O’s have a settled side and Russell Slade knows how to get the best out of them. Kevin Lisbie will get goals again and with French striker Yohan Lasimant alongside him he may have help. Diminutive winger Dean Cox is an underrated player at this level and can get full backs going towards their own goal. Shaun Batt and David Mooney also can get beyond defences too.

Key Man : Kevin Lisbie

10) Rotherham United

Steve Evans may court controversy wherever he has gone but he delivered last year albeit with a big wage bill. They have added to it this year and I cannot see them finishing anywhere but top half due to depth of squad. Evans finally got his man after a long pursuit for front man Matt Tubbs and with Alex Revell, Daniel Nardiello and also another newcomer Danny Hylton, there are options aplenty up top. Allied to that they have talented midfielder Ben Pringle and centre back Kari Arnason behind them. They may push for a playoff place if things fall into place.

Key Man : Matt Tubbs

11) Coventry City

City still have the uncertainty over their future and will have to play home games at Sixfields and this must be soul destroying for the loyal fans. However, from a football perspective it is not like they had much of a home field advantage from playing at the Rioch and it may not hurt the side on the pitch in the short term. They have a young side but a promising manager in Stephen Pressley. They also will have a no fear attitude and may surprise one or two sides.

Key Man : Leon Clarke

12) Crawley Town

Another side that threatened the playoffs for a period last year and have a manager Ritchie Barker that will now know exactly what his squad can do. They do not have the strongest squads and injuries could see them even further down the league but if they keep everyone fit and keep a strong home record then they will be around mid table once again.

Key Man : Billy Clarke

13) Bradford City

Bradford had a dream season last year culminating in promotion after a remarkable Carling Cup run. Phil Parkinson was once thought of as being a very promising manager but had to start again at the bottom but like City his star is on the rise again. The little-big man combination up top in Nakhi Wells and James Hanson will get goals and Jason Kennedy from Rochdale gives them something different in midfield alongside the veteran Gary Jones. City will not be near the top but should be comfortably away from the relegation places and if anything will find things easier than the more agricultural play in the league below.

Key Man : Nakhi Wells

14) Swindon Town

Town fell away after Paulo Di Canio moved on and then on the eve of the season Kevin McDonald also departed. Mark Cooper is in temporary charge and there is still talent in the squad but it is a relatively inexperienced side and they have brought in four young players on loan from Spurs to add to this. I am not sure they have enough to challenge this year and a bad start and they may be looking over their shoulders.

Key Man : Wes Foderingham

15) Gillingham

Martin Allen did a tremendous job as the Gills won the title going away last season and have a relatively settled squad that should be able to cope with the step up in division. Burly striker Ade Akinfenwa returns up top to give further options but it is the spine of last season and the tactics from the wily old Allen that will keep them away from trouble.

Key Man : Cody McDonald

16) Crewe Alexandra

They have lost another talented youngster in Luke Murphy but the conveyor belt will keep on delivering. Macclesfield’s Thierry Audel and Accrington’s Lee Molyneux have come in to add to the squad from last season but the fact that manager Steve Davis remained was the biggest news for the ‘Alex this summer.

Key Man : Mathias Pogba

17) Oldham Athletic

After the highs of the FA Cup came the nail biting finish to the season but after Paul Dickov left, Lee Johnson was able to guide Athletic to safety and now he faces up to his first full season in charge. Losing beanstalk striker Matt Smith was a blow but incomers Charlie McDonald, Adam Rooney and Jose Baxter should help soften the blow. James Dayton from Scotland and Sidney Schmeltz could be captures who surprise at this level.

Key Man : Adam Rooney

18) Tranmere Rovers

It may seem churlish to predict should a fall from grace but they have lost many players they had (many on loan) and I feel that the end of season form was more akin to what we could expect. Maybe Ronnie Moore can drag an extra 20% out of this side and inch them towards mid table but I fear for them and they have a very lightweight squad. Ryan Lowe will score goals and maybe I jury prone Akpo Sodje may finally have an impact somewhere as he goes through around 2 or 3 clubs a season!

Key Man : Stephen Foster

19) Walsall

The side that I feel will take the biggest hit from last season but that is mainly due the

departures with Brandy, Paterson and Grigg all moving on. I felt that they would have

struggled to replicate last season anyway and losing that attacking trio means they be searching for goals. I think they will do enough to survive and it would not surprise me if Dean Smith can bring in more gems to see them closer to mid table.

Key Man : Andy Butler

20) Carlisle United

Carlisle went from playoff contenders to a side that was nervously looking at the trap door and it is hard to see where the improvements will come from. They have not brought many in and rely on the same side that struggled so much last year. Of course many of them that were part of the side that got the verge of the playoffs so there is hope. However a poor start and they could be in trouble.

Key Man : Lee Miller

21) Colchester United

Another season of struggle awaits and young manager Joe Dunne will have to really work miracles to keep the side away from the lower end in an improved division. They are still relying on ageing journeyman Clinton Morrison although Craig Eastman and Daniel Pappoe from Arsenal and Chelsea will give them more youth and enthusiasm. If they do not improve at home then they could go.

Key Man : Sanchez Watt

22) Stevenage

Graham Westley is back and whilst the move to Preston may not have worked out; it cannot be said that Westley has never been a success. At Stevenage he worked miracles and whilst his style may not be universally popular he can get teams to win with little talent. He will hope to get the best out of players such as Luke Freeman that maybe did not quite do it last season when he had departed. A return to health for centre back and new skipper Jon Ashton will also be key but they may be struggling this season with better sides around them and teams with better resources.

Key Man : Jon Ashton

23) Port Vale

Vale finally came up after a few years of close calls and Micky Adams gets another chance to prove himself at a higher level of the pyramid. Vale lack genuine quality and have a lot of journeyman and unproven players. They will struggle to replicate the goals they got last year and even though they will have a better backing than in many years (5,000+ season tickets sold) I think it may be the stay in League One is a brief one.

Key Man : Tom Pope

24) Shrewsbury Town

They surprised many last season with a good run that saw them fairly comfortable safe but with experienced men departing such as Matt Richards and Marvin Morgan, they have to rely strongly on youth and the experience of Graham Turner to coax the maximum out of this side. A poor start and they could be in big trouble without that leadership on the pitch.

Key Man : Jon Taylor

Preston and Brentford top two.
Peterborough, Gillingham, Wolves and Blades play-offs.
United to scupper our chances at some point by selling a key player. Nailed on.

Great review.

I think the Blades will be outside the top 10, but I agree that Notts County will be a surprise packet and I can see them in the Play-offs, at least.

Not looking forward to tonights match.

I genuinely don't think Brentford are that great a bet to go up.

Forrester is a massive miss for them, and many Walsall supporters see Will Grigg as most Blades saw Andy Gray. That's not a bad thing necessarily, but I certainly see them being weaker than last season.

It's interesting that we pushed them at the Lane, finished 4 points off them, have arguably improved our squad (and manager), but now finish 6 places beneath them.

Tonight will give us a good indication I think...

Forrester is a massive miss for them, and many Walsall supporters see Will Grigg as most Blades saw Andy Gray. That's not a bad thing necessarily, but I certainly see them being weaker than last season.

It's interesting that we pushed them at the Lane, finished 4 points off them, have arguably improved our squad (and manager), but now finish 6 places beneath them.

Ah, careful Houso. I watched 1/46th of the Test yesterday and thought Australia would finish the day on 305-3. Look how that turned out.....

Ah, careful Houso. I watched 1/46th of the Test yesterday and thought Australia would finish the day on 305-3. Look how that turned out.....

You're trying to make a point there Uncy, but for the life of me I can't quite grasp what it is...

No matter how many shut outs they have, if they cannot score then they will struggle to consistently beat teams.

Shut out? Fucking shut out?

It's a "clean sheet" man. Don't be bringing no American shit terminology to our game. We'll be obsessed with fucking win percentages next (or most winningest coach).

Shut out? Fucking shut out?

It's a "clean sheet" man. Don't be bringing no American shit terminology to our game. We'll be obsessed with fucking win percentages next (or most winningest coach).

Apologies. My NBA persuasion slipping in. That is my de-fence anyway. Being quite a fan of all things American; I shamefully slip into their half baked tongue now and again. Consider myself told.

Forrester was not even starting towards the end of the season was he not? I think the keeper will be Moore (sorry) of a loss.

They have brought in Grigg who does score goals (as does Andy Gray - who I did not rate) and have signed 4 or 5 others (such as Fillo a winger; a lad from Everton that is highly rated McAleny, Savile from Chelsea and Nugent from Cardiff). Their signings overall are on par with ours at least and they had a stronger squad than us last season already.

I think the main difference is the attacking threats though; Grigg, Donaldson vs Taylor, Porter and to me that says why they will finish higher. I feel the same about the other sides above us. We are woefully short of quality in this area I feel. I could be wrong but that is my gut feeling. A lad called El Alagui was the Taylor for Falkirk the year before (getting 28 goals) and barely played or scored for Brentford last year after they signed him. Just to show comparison between leagues. Even with Miller I feel we need another proven striker who can get goals.

Thing is, we have to stop seeing our forwards as Taylor, Porter and Ironside.

Our forwards are more like Taylor, Porter, Murphy and Brandy. Then to a lesser extent McDonald and the backup wingers.

I personally can see at least 10 for each of those 4 main forwards this season, with others chipping in. McDonald should be looking to get into double figures too.

Agreed that Taylor doesn't guarantee goals. But I do think he'll get so many chances due to the setup that he'll certainly get a good handful.

Also, just to add, although he tore us a new one last season, Donaldson is now 29 and has only had 1 prolific season in this division. Let's not get carried away by him yet.

And Grigg, in his prior 64 appearances at this level had scored 8 goals before last season. He was good in 12/13, but it could be anomaly.

I think people are seriously underestimating us, and mostly that is ourselves. We are a stronger team than last year in my opinion and there will be alot more harmony in the dressing room. Most of the weakpoints identified by the fans have been address, pace in wide areas and more options in the centre of midfield. The only question mark for me is whether Taylor hits the ground running. If he does then this could be a great season.

And yes, everything is but. I am thinking like Houso in regards to Brentford. They could go either way for me. Apparently they have had a good preseason but alot of teams come back determined after play off heart break then when the grind of playing all the games kicks in they buckle, or they bring in ***** like Kitson and Robson!

Takes a brave man to admit to something like that Sheff. They say recognising you've got the problem is half the battle.

Sheff is a forward thinker. He's accepted the charismatic genius of Houso into his heart and now only good things will happen...

Sheffielder, what can you tell us about The Falklands Conflict ?

How we will do depends very much on how we start, and for me it is all about confidence. The team was good enough last year but were too focussed on not making a mistake, such that they didn't take chances and rarely pressed forward in numbers. We have players who like to take people on if they are allowed and/or encouraged to do so - and, if this results in a mistake first time around we cannot go back into a shell. If so, we are playing for sixth place again, which can just as easily be 12th.

I think if Kmac kicks off to a good start we could be on to a winner-we need him to be firing on all cylinders-not only goals but putting people in and around the area.
He`s my bet for first scorer this evening!
One thing im sure of is that we will create chances this year as weve got players now who can possibly do that-mcginty-brandy-taylor-kmac-coady-mcfadzean-all very capable of turning a man and laying off.

I think if Kmac kicks off to a good start we could be on to a winner-we need him to be firing on all cylinders-not only goals but putting people in and around the area.
He`s my bet for first scorer this evening!
One thing im sure of is that we will create chances this year as weve got players now who can possibly do that-mcginty-brandy-taylor-kmac-coady-mcfadzean-all very capable of turning a man and laying off.

Well done on your bet!

I think today sadly proves how much better than they are than us. Faster, stronger, hungrier and with better attacking threats. Rosler said they were in complete and utter control. Sky said they dominated from start to finish and Paul Walker/Keith Edwards said we were never in it. It seems like they ought to have had 6 or 7 goals too. t

Sadly it was as I feared; the result and performance today.

Grigg may not go on and be a huge success but he was way too much for us today. Us in comparison have not seen a striker score in the opening 3 games.

I still maintain they will finish top 2. I certainly think 6 places between us after today is a fair prediction.

I think it's far too early to predict how Utd will do this season. If McDonald leaves, which seems highly likely, then at least we now have options to replace him.

Don't forget that although Weir has signed four decent players, he is still working with the squad who failed to deliver last season. That team, as this, was drastically short of fire power. I personally have faith in Weir and although he is 'new to management' I'm sure he will be aware of the teams short comings and is in a better position than most to recruit quality replacements. It is clear he is well liked in football circles and all of his high profile associates want to see him succeed and that can only be to Utds benefit.

I suspect the team that ends this season will be very different than todays.

UTB

Brentford , Wolves and Peterborough look 20 points better than the rest of the league if you ask me. Not that anybody did.

It is worrying that so far he is starting Williams, Westlake, Porter (alebit not today), Doyle.

These 4 are simply not good enough for a team that hopes to be near the top 6; whatever defence people keep making of them.

Hopefully he will see very quickly that he may get away with 1 in the side (Doyle maybe) and at a push Porter (if he has a proper quick partner) but mostly with these as regulars we will be nearer the bottom than the top I fear.

I expect McMahon and Hill to be back soon. They are not great and offer us little going forward but at least last year we were strong at the back. This season we have shipped 6 in 3; looked poor defensively and not had a centre forward score a goal.

It is worrying that so far he is starting Williams, Westlake, Porter (alebit not today), Doyle.

These 4 are simply not good enough for a team that hopes to be near the top 6; whatever defence people keep making of them.

Hopefully he will see very quickly that he may get away with 1 in the side (Doyle maybe) and at a push Porter (if he has a proper quick partner) but mostly with these as regulars we will be nearer the bottom than the top I fear.

I expect McMahon and Hill to be back soon. They are not great and offer us little going forward but at least last year we were strong at the back. This season we have shipped 6 in 3; looked poor defensively and not had a centre forward score a goal.

Im sure Weir knows this. He will see them in training everyday. The problem is, we have no replacements or players in back up who are actually worse!!

Weirs hands are tied until players leave. Weve brought players in with hardly any leaving, even though the brief has been promotion whilst cutting back even further.

I think Weir will be wishing he didnt take the job, very quickly.

I think Weir will be wishing he didnt take the job, very quickly.

Winter and Weir both stated they expect to challenge seriously this season. But then they would say that wouldn't they? It's the bullshit that's expected of anyone who takes on those roles.

I think Weir knows the extent of his task, but I also have no doubt McCabe will use him as a human sacrifice should the natives get restless again. The simple fact is that Weir needs to be both very good and very lucky to achieve anything here this season.

Early days , its not going to happen in a week, I said after we beat notts thered still be defeats , and Brentford away was always one of the most likely places to suffer one. As I didnt get over excited last week I wont panic either this week . Knee jerk reactions to a win or loss are for fools, let Weir have the time to make the adjustments neccesary , say 8-10 games or till the end of september at least before even forming a judgement.
Hes been fancied to do well , lets give him a bit of leeway , going to Brentford is one of 4/5 youd expect to be the most challenging getting as your first away game was harsh on Weir, my only current worry is our obvious lack of goal threat which does need some urgent addressing .

In response to Kev's,

"I'm sure Weir knows this. He will see them in training everyday."

On a general level I have often thought this was in itself a problem in terms of team selection. We fans over the years have seen a few players who are consistently poor in matches and wondered why they get picked.

I have often thought this could be as a result of the manager seeing them play well in training, recognising a talent and despite the fact that a player cannot hack it when the pressure is on, thinking or even wishing that next match they will show what they can do.

Because we the supporters only see them where and when it matters we have a better balanced view of their effectiveness than the manager does.

Back
Top Bottom